RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 05:12 PM
2puppies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

I've had my RX350 one week now and a large dumptruck kicked up some rocks while I was trying to pass it and cracked my windshield. I'm going to replace it; however, my insurance company tried to talk me into just repairing it because they're afraid that it will not seal as completely, making the interior noisier and perhaps allowing water in. That is a concern, especially since I only have 500 miles on it! I wanted the dealer to do it, but I've read where some people have had bad experiences with dealers. Are there any suggestions? Since I have so few miles, should I also have the rubber replaced? I see some people are suggesting PPG glass as opposed to OEM, but my RX has the rain sensor in the windshield, so I would imagine I'd have to get it from Lexus. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 09-20-06, 05:23 PM
sakaike
Rookie

There's at least one, and perhaps several threads discussing this topic at length. But to attempt to summarize:

- Determine the extent to which your insurance company will cover this cost, and whether or not you want them to or not. Some posters recommend getting the company to pay the full amount (no deductible), and using the dealer to guarantee OEM glass. This will depend on your insurance company and level of coverage.
- I have both repaired and replaced two separate windshields, albeit neither was with rain sensors. I did not want to go through my insurance company, and the cost of going through the dealer was ridiculous, so I used Safelite for both services. The replacement glass was PPG. PPG is OEM quality, and is one of several glass suppliers to Lexus. So to say that you have to decide between PPG or OEM is not true. They are not mutually exclusive.
- Aftermarket repair companies (including Safelite) have access to rain sensor windshields, so don't assume that just because you have rain sensors, that you must use the dealership.
- At least in my experience with Safelite, they will replace all gaskets and seals at the time of a windshield replacement.
- My windshield repair from Safelite has also been a top quality job, so the determination on whether to go with repair or replacement should probably include who's going to pay, and where the crack is, since even with the best repair, the crack will still be there, and might be visually annoying.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-21-06, 06:49 AM
FuManChu75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to my RX350 after 900 miles. I got a quote from Safelite and it was over $1600 for the rain sensing windshield and that was with their 12% off summer special. I checked with my insurance and I'll have to pay the deductible($500) if I want it replaced. I decided to see if I can get it repaired first so I called Safelite out. I got pretty lucky since the crack was about dime sized and only on the top layer of the glass and didn't go all the way thru so they were able to repair/patch it. The crack was pretty noticable before the repair since it also casts a shadow on the dash. Now, you can't really tell unless I point it out. It just looks like the glass is a little dirty. It's not perfect but for $60, I can live with it.
Old 09-21-06, 07:36 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you live in an area where airborne gravel and rocks are common highway obstacles, check your windshield frequently. When you wash it, squeegee dry and wipe with a paper towel. The paper will tend to snag on imperfections you can't really see, but create stress-raisers that can turn into cracks over time. Watch these areas carefully every few days for any signs of growth. If even the smallest crack appears, have it patched immediately. I try to wait until I have 2 or 3 tiny nicks in the glass (if none have propagated), then have them all patched at once. Most shops offer a deep discount on repairing multiple nicks, and can make an invisible patch that will prevent the damage from spreading - saving you a ton in replacement cost.
Old 09-21-06, 08:07 AM
jimp
Driver School Candidate

dealers here do not replace windshields,they refered me to several approved shops. I specified lexus oem windshield with rain sensing wipers. it was $760.00 installed. insurance covered cost above my deductable without problem.company has lifetime warrenty, cant tell it was ever replaced !
Old 09-21-06, 08:27 AM
lok888
Pole Position

Well, as a new Lexus RX350 owner, this is something good to learn. I wonder why the dealer can't replace the windshield. Isn't made by Toyota/Lexus or other manufacturer. Anyway, my insurance company (here in MA) will pick the cost for the windsheild and windows replacement with no dectuctable.
Old 09-21-06, 09:32 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The first question is to repair or replace.

If it is a minor star or a cross or a line, AND it is not under the area, the wipers swipe, I would suggest get it repaired. There aught to be urgency in getting it repaired as the break can expand and the gap can collect dirt. Just ask the insurance guy that you would like the option to ask for a replacement if the repairs are unsatisfactory. Usually the insurance also would willingly replace if the crack spreads after repair.

I am always for the least invasive repair as long as safety is not compromised.

Now if the crack is under the swath of the wipers [considerd as critcal visibility area], you need the assurance that you will not get the "star" effect at night time. [refractice index changes due to repair and light is decomposed as if going through a prism].

Others have shared their thoughts on how to proceed if you opt for replacement. Just make sure they tape of all the fresh air vents ... in case the glass breaks, you dont want to live with listening to the rattle.

Salim
Old 09-21-06, 03:56 PM
2puppies
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I guess I'll get it replaced. I don't like having a new vehicle with anything wrong with it, let alone a windshield crack on the driver's side. My insurance will cover most of it - all the cost of the parts, and then a flat $40, and the NAG (National Auto Glass) price for the remaining hours - I think that was $30/hour. So overall, the cost is about $1600 and I'll end up having to pay about $70 of that. And that includes replacing the windshield sensor tape (I thought it was part of the windshield) and the molding.

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I'm sure the dealer will be tired of me because of all the information I'm getting off these forums :-)
Old 09-22-06, 06:41 AM
Spotnsabby
Rookie

My father has worked for Lexus for 8 years and has had several cars come back saying the rain sensor isn't working right. This was due to a aftermarket windshield. Keep in mind OEM is always better than aftermarket. You can make your insurance pay for a OEM on your car, but they will try getting out of it because of the price difference. Be firm and say I WANT OEM.
Old 09-22-06, 07:57 AM
dms666
Rookie

I had the windshield on my '04 RX330 replaced by Lexus (at their cost) after it suddenly just cracked one cold morning as I backed it out of my garage.

I haven't noticed any wind noise, water leakage, or problems with the rain sensor (although I've always hated the rain sensing wipers - but that's another thread).
Old 09-22-06, 09:19 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

What's next? A full-support bra over the windshield
Old 09-22-06, 12:18 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spotnsabby
My father has worked for Lexus for 8 years and has had several cars come back saying the rain sensor isn't working right. This was due to a aftermarket windshield. Keep in mind OEM is always better than aftermarket. You can make your insurance pay for a OEM on your car, but they will try getting out of it because of the price difference. Be firm and say I WANT OEM.
In Massachusetts there is a law that specifies the replacement part be OEM if it has 24,000 miles or less. See if AZ has that type of law too?

Deven
Old 09-22-06, 12:28 PM
lok888
Pole Position

dah - Did I read it somewhere that after the first 6000 or 9000 miles, the insurance company has the right to use aftermarket parts?? Maybe I am wrong.
Old 09-22-06, 12:32 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lok888
dah - Did I read it somewhere that after the first 6000 or 9000 miles, the insurance company has the right to use aftermarket parts?? Maybe I am wrong.
Not in MA!! New Jersey and Massachussets have the most stringent laws when it comes to auto insurance. There is a reason why you cant get GEICO for insurance in Mass and maybe NJ
Old 09-22-06, 12:53 PM
lok888
Pole Position

dah - I was saying 6000 to 9000 miles or less in MA, 24000 miles seems too long. Yeah! Too bad I couldn't save 15% or more on car insurance. These stupid meaningless DUI and traffic laws drive these big companies out of business here.