RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door Lock Actuator Replaced, But Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 05:55 PM
simplecar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Lock Actuator Replaced, But Issue

I spent about 8-10 hours in total replacing all the door lock actuator (assembly included) because all of them screwed itself over, it locks and unlocks great, but there's an issue.

When I try to unlock with the key, I click the unlock button once and I hear my driver lock pop, but I don't hear a beep. I click it the second time then it beeps and all doors unlock??? I don't think that's how it originally was.

Then, when I put the key into the ignition, and turn it to ACC or ON position and shut either the front driver or passenger door, the locks automatically unlock itself 2 times for all doors. I don't understand, what's the issue?
Old 09-23-18, 12:20 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Did you replace the actuators with OE parts?
Old 09-23-18, 06:07 PM
simplecar
Driver

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Did you replace the actuators with OE parts?
I bought it over on eBay with 4 of the actuators (front left and right, and rear left and right) for $34. I don’t know if that’s OE or not.
Old 09-23-18, 07:05 PM
owenstrawn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the right front with an Amazon actuator, now every time that door is closed when the ignition is on, all the locks unlock twice. Haven't figured out why yet, but maybe it is related to your issue.
Old 09-24-18, 11:56 AM
simplecar
Driver

Originally Posted by owenstrawn
I replaced the right front with an Amazon actuator, now every time that door is closed when the ignition is on, all the locks unlock twice. Haven't figured out why yet, but maybe it is related to your issue.
It’s related to my issue. Also if you unlock the door on that side with the key, the alarm goes off.
Old 10-06-18, 06:34 PM
Audiqv8
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

You need to take it in and have Lexus programs the locks. The other option is to get a copy or find someone with a copy of Techstream and program the locks.

Old 10-26-18, 01:58 PM
owenstrawn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can confirm that my alarm goes off when I key unlock the pass door [replaced with Amazon actuator, remote works, double unlocks everything whenever pass door is closed with ignition on). Alarm going off and reset did not fix the double unlock.

AudiqV8, are you talking about the CBEST settings? I had mine changed years ago so that one click on the remote opens all doors...
Old 10-26-18, 04:24 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by simplecar
I spent about 8-10 hours in total replacing all the door lock actuator (assembly included) because all of them screwed itself over, it locks and unlocks great, but there's an issue.

When I try to unlock with the key, I click the unlock button once and I hear my driver lock pop, but I don't hear a beep. I click it the second time then it beeps and all doors unlock??? I don't think that's how it originally was.

Then, when I put the key into the ignition, and turn it to ACC or ON position and shut either the front driver or passenger door, the locks automatically unlock itself 2 times for all doors. I don't understand, what's the issue?
I had literally just done this with my uncle's 1999 RX300, and had the same issue. I changed all 4 with Ebay parts and had the double unlock issue. I decided to leave the rear actuators alone since I doubt the Chinese could screw those up, but the fronts were the ones I thought could cause issues.

What I did was two things. One is that I put back the original actuator in the front right door since that worked fine, but I ordered another actuator for the front left from a different Ebay seller, one that had a more similar color and 200 people bought it. Here it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Left-Door-Lock-Actuator-for-1999-2000-2001-2002-03-Lexus-RX300-6904048020/182393309243?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The other thing I did was pay more attention to the actuator installation. I just slapped it in there and didn't think twice. When I pressed the unlock and lock button it would work, and that was good enough for me. But when I went back to replace it, I noticed that the front actuators have two plastic connectors, where I assume one is for electronic lock and the other is for the key entry. So maybe I'm thinking I didn't pay attention to both plastic hooks going to the right place. If the system notices one hook says locked while the other says unlocked, it may try to unlock it twice. The back door actuators don't have this, and only have one hook so those are hard to screw up the installation. Front ones are much harder to screw up, so double check those two hooks are in the right place when you install it.

You could also test to see if the key locks and unlocks the front doors. If that works and you can electronically lock and unlock the front doors then the actuators you bought are junk and need to be replaced. The front ones are more important than the back. Again, the rears are hard for the Chinese to screw up.

Last edited by Dukenukemx; 10-26-18 at 04:32 PM.