RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

HELP! Need New Radiator for my 2000 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-17, 03:29 PM
Dawnnae
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face HELP! Need New Radiator for my 2000 RX300

Hi, I have so many questions. I'm looking at radiators and the prices are from $49 to $450. How do I know which one to buy? I know Lexus uses Denso parts, but I've seen so many other options I'm not really sure which one to get. To make things even more confusing, when I priced the Denso radiator, there are two! How do I know which one to buy for my car? With the other choices, do I need to buy a Denso radiator at all? Is there another acceptable brand of radiator for the 2000 Lexus RX300? Please help. I had to fire my mechanic, so while I'm pricing the new radiator I'm also looking for a new mechanic to install it. (276,000 Miles)
Old 11-16-17, 03:53 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

When ever you as a customer buys an item and takes it to a mechanic, then the labor is to be paid the second time by the owner. Now if the product is chosen and installed by the mechanic then the mechanic eats up the cost of the second time labor. [in case of warranty issue]

All aluminum radiator are the better choice as they are light and conduct heat well. Copper is a better conductor, but it weighs more. I am not 100% sure but the Lexus radiators are typically top and bottom plastic. I would suggest after market Denso. Just make sure the plumbing and mounting is the same. Buy from a reputable seller. There are advantages in purchasing from local parts seller as they may give you lifetime warranty and easy exchange in case of fitment issue. Buying from dealer with VIN number will ensure guaranteed fit, but may cost a bit and with that many miles on the vehicle it may not make sense.

Dont forget to get Toyota coolant and for concentrate, make sure you add distilled water in the ratio printed on the jug,

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-16-17 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 04:53 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I believe the RX300 with the towing prep package had a larger radiator that the non- tow equipped car.
Old 11-16-17, 06:24 PM
Dawnnae
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks.

Thanks so much. My vehicle doesn't have the towing package, so I have an idea of which to get.

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I believe the RX300 with the towing prep package had a larger radiator that the non- tow equipped car.
Old 11-16-17, 06:27 PM
Dawnnae
Driver School Candidate

Default I really appreciate your response!

Thank you Salim! It's such a pain trying to figure all of this out on my own. I appreciate the reminder about the Toyota fluid. I didn't even know it existed until I was watching a video the other day and the guy in the video mentioned it.
Originally Posted by salimshah
When ever you as a customer buys an item and takes it to a mechanic, then the labor is to be paid the second time by the owner. Now if the product is chosen and installed by the mechanic then the mechanic eats up the cost of the second time labor. [in case of warranty issue]
Originally Posted by salimshah
All aluminum radiator are the better choice as they are light and conduct heat well. Copper is a better conductor, but it weighs more. I am not 100% sure but the Lexus radiators are typically top and bottom plastic. I would suggest after market Denso. Just make sure the plumbing and mounting is the same. Buy from a reputable seller. There are advantages in purchasing from local parts seller as they may give you lifetime warranty and easy exchange in case of fitment issue. Buying from dealer with VIN number will ensure guaranteed fit, but may cost a bit and with that many miles on the vehicle it may not make sense.

Dont forget to get Toyota coolant and for concentrate, make sure you add distilled water in the ratio printed on the jug,

Salim