RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Actuator Replacements need reprogramming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 03:19 PM
Rick0246
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Actuator Replacements need reprogramming?

I just bought some actuators on ebay, it says they are a perfect fit, I took it to my mechanic and had him install them. He installed only the front ones only. It locks/unlocks from the master switch but when I try to open and close the doors with the master key via driver door it only unlocks the driver door. Sometimes it also triggers the car alarm when I open the driver door....also lost the feature of placing the master key in the driver side door holding the key to the right to bring down all the windows and opening the sunroof. So my question is does the actuator need to be reprogrammed some how?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-20-17, 07:19 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

The actuators are passive so no reprogramming is needed.

On the other hand if your key remote was new then you would need reprograming.

Please verify with the mechanic that he has not tried to reprogram the remote. You can also try disconnecting the battery for about 20 mins and see if things come back to normal. Else the mechanic has to check his work again. You may have to reprogram the recognition of the key remote.

Salim
Old 04-21-17, 09:14 PM
Rick0246
Driver School Candidate

It turns out that the new actuators that I bought, he swapped them all out and the doors now only opens where the key is used. Lost the all features that came with the old actuators. Nothing but the actuators were changed, the master key still is the same. The only problem with my key is that my master key fob that opens the doors keyless does not work at all not even to re-program. So I believe first generation does have some type of programming that goes to each of those pins? because with the old actuators I could put the key in the driver door hold it to the right and all the windows would come down; and with these new actuators that can no longer happen. So i decided to tell my mechanic to just remove all the old actuators and I opened the new actuators took and removed the motor and replaced it in the old ones to see if I could get away with that. So far the mechanic said he only changed the front ones and that turning the key to the right now brings all the windows down but failed to lock all the doors....and probably that is due to the fact that the rear one's have not been installed yet? not sure there...tomorrow I will find out if it all worked out or not. So far I have spent $45 for all the new actuators and $170 for both front doors and the back doors another $170 so yeah this has been pretty costly. I know you guys did a DIY but I am not really a technical type of person...really wish I was, I would of saved myself a lot of money from this. If it does not work then I guess there is some type of timing on the motor when I installed them?
Old 04-21-17, 10:16 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick0246
It turns out that the new actuators that I bought, he swapped them all out and the doors now only opens where the key is used. Lost the all features that came with the old actuators. Nothing but the actuators were changed, the master key still is the same. The only problem with my key is that my master key fob that opens the doors keyless does not work at all not even to re-program. So I believe first generation does have some type of programming that goes to each of those pins? because with the old actuators I could put the key in the driver door hold it to the right and all the windows would come down; and with these new actuators that can no longer happen. So i decided to tell my mechanic to just remove all the old actuators and I opened the new actuators took and removed the motor and replaced it in the old ones to see if I could get away with that. So far the mechanic said he only changed the front ones and that turning the key to the right now brings all the windows down but failed to lock all the doors....and probably that is due to the fact that the rear one's have not been installed yet? not sure there...tomorrow I will find out if it all worked out or not. So far I have spent $45 for all the new actuators and $170 for both front doors and the back doors another $170 so yeah this has been pretty costly. I know you guys did a DIY but I am not really a technical type of person...really wish I was, I would of saved myself a lot of money from this. If it does not work then I guess there is some type of timing on the motor when I installed them?
Here is a bit of explanation which might shed some light on the situation at hand.
The remote does not play any part when you are dealing with the key in lock cylinder. What takes over are the actual wired connections at the end of the cylinder and the control unit. [with the remote key buttons the signal is sent wireless to a receiver which on recognizing the right source sends the signal on wire to the same controller]. The controller then sends the signal on wire to each lock actuator [or window motors]. The lock actuators.

So programming there remote should not play any part, unless the programing was messed up.

We have reversed actuators floating in the market, which un-lock when the control tells them to lock and vice versa.

Salim
Old 04-22-17, 01:50 PM
Rick0246
Driver School Candidate

Okay just got back from the mechanic and he said that the actuators all worked fine along with all the door features except for opening the all the doors via master key by turning to the right to unlock all doors. The master lock switch unlocks all the doors and locks them, but he encountered a problem about the 5th time he cycled through the power locks. Now the driver door is on permanent lock and does not want to open, and it does not respond to the master key outside the door....I had to crawl in through the back hatch just to force the lock to slightly unlock so that i can pull the driver door handle and open the door. At this point the mechanic just through me the keys and said this is your problem now because unless you want me to fix it, I will need to keep paying him to troubleshoot the problem....so I guess at this point I am S.O.L until I figure what is wrong with the driver door, that is preventing it from opening.

Thank you again Salimshah for your explanation...
Old 05-20-17, 04:03 AM
Rick0246
Driver School Candidate

Well I have been through a long journey on this whole actuator thing...my mechanic threw in the towel and pretty much gave me back the RX300 with non-working door locks, so i decided to buy all new actuators again (2nd time) (4) and went through the YouTube Videos of DIY....I know, I know you guys did a whole write up on it; but that was using your existing ones and well my existing ones..... were all smashed up because I tried to do it that way and I some how messed up the springs inside the actuators when I opened them up...and they all stopped working so i scrapped them to pieces all new motors and all. These other actuators are new and un-tampered with, I decided to not want to spend another $150 per door and install them myself.....took about 8 hours or so but I managed to do all the doors with a couple scrapes and bruises with the bloody window coming down on my hand because I forgot to unhook the battery.

This now arrives to my new problem.... the master switch opens both the driver door and the passenger door, but does not open the rear doors. I have 2 Keys that have fobs, the fobs do not work but I am able to turn on the car with both keys....before all this the doors would unlock with just using the key in the driver door and now that does not work either...so my guess is that there is some type of programming in the actuators that recognizes all 4 motors in the ecu? and that is why the rear doors are not working anymore...just a hunch but it seems like I have opened myself to a whole can of worms....I just hope that if I walk away with the answer to this mystery it will be able to help others down the line if they ever decided to just switch out their actuators all together like me...

I am willing to try anything that does not involve me overriding and erasing all keys from programming mode....other then that I am open to suggestions...

Also I double checked my work on all the doors....all are working the way they are supposed to...no wire was left unplugged and all wires including the rear U shaped ones are in its correct location.....and the child safety's are not on.
Old 05-20-17, 06:41 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rick0246
Well I have been through a long journey on this whole actuator thing...my mechanic threw in the towel and pretty much gave me back the RX300 with non-working door locks, so i decided to buy all new actuators again (2nd time) (4) and went through the YouTube Videos of DIY....I know, I know you guys did a whole write up on it; but that was using your existing ones and well my existing ones..... were all smashed up because I tried to do it that way and I some how messed up the springs inside the actuators when I opened them up...and they all stopped working so i scrapped them to pieces all new motors and all. These other actuators are new and un-tampered with, I decided to not want to spend another $150 per door and install them myself.....took about 8 hours or so but I managed to do all the doors with a couple scrapes and bruises with the bloody window coming down on my hand because I forgot to unhook the battery.

This now arrives to my new problem.... the master switch opens both the driver door and the passenger door, but does not open the rear doors. I have 2 Keys that have fobs, the fobs do not work but I am able to turn on the car with both keys....before all this the doors would unlock with just using the key in the driver door and now that does not work either...so my guess is that there is some type of programming in the actuators that recognizes all 4 motors in the ecu? and that is why the rear doors are not working anymore...just a hunch but it seems like I have opened myself to a whole can of worms....I just hope that if I walk away with the answer to this mystery it will be able to help others down the line if they ever decided to just switch out their actuators all together like me...

I am willing to try anything that does not involve me overriding and erasing all keys from programming mode....other then that I am open to suggestions...

Also I double checked my work on all the doors....all are working the way they are supposed to...no wire was left unplugged and all wires including the rear U shaped ones are in its correct location.....and the child safety's are not on.
Forget about re-programming. Just make sure you can lock/unlock with the driver and passenger side buttons. Arm yourself with wiring diagram and trace voltage as you press the button. Once that starts working, we can work upstream (remote).

Salim
Old 05-25-17, 03:16 PM
Rick0246
Driver School Candidate

I think you are right, Salimshah...I have successfully programmed the key and the key fob after hours at programming attempts and finally the fob was accepted....the drivers door and the passengers door opens with the fob and when i hit lock it locks and the alarm beeps. Now for the new problem....which is those rear doors not unlocking....it has to be electrical because the actuators are brand new and although they were working before....it could be one of two things....either the actuators dont work or theres an electrical problem in the harness. Either way thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.
Old 12-31-18, 04:40 PM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi guys, just found out as well that there are two versions of the Mabuchi motors, CCW and CW rotation. The correct actuator motor seems to be FC280PC-22125.

I got a few that did not have number printed on them from the same shipment and low and behold the RX300 lock works backwards with them installed!!

Lucky I have a ton of experience from a mis-spent youth racing RC cars - Sooooo...

Just pry up the tiny tabs on the motor can and pull the plastic "end bell" up enough to rotate it 180 degrees - (MAKE REALLY SURE you push the motor shaft from the pinion end so as not to dislodge the brushes) - you will see there is a small plastic alignment tab molded into the end bell - I just ignored it and pressed the end bell on.

VOILA!!

Last edited by angus; 12-31-18 at 06:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by angus:
Audiqv8 (01-01-19), Crackberri (04-01-20)
Old 02-12-20, 02:15 PM
Lilmama
Driver School Candidate

Default 03 GS300 actuator

Originally Posted by angus
Hi guys, just found out as well that there are two versions of the Mabuchi motors, CCW and CW rotation. The correct actuator motor seems to be FC280PC-22125.

I got a few that did not have number printed on them from the same shipment and low and behold the RX300 lock works backwards with them installed!!

Lucky I have a ton of experience from a mis-spent youth racing RC cars - Sooooo...

Just pry up the tiny tabs on the motor can and pull the plastic "end bell" up enough to rotate it 180 degrees - (MAKE REALLY SURE you push the motor shaft from the pinion end so as not to dislodge the brushes) - you will see there is a small plastic alignment tab molded into the end bell - I just ignored it and pressed the end bell on.

VOILA!!
my actuator in my GS 300 with an actuator from another GS300?
Old 04-07-20, 05:57 PM
richbarn
Driver School Candidate

This same thing happened to me. Just what you said. I even replaced the front right (passenger side) door lock controller, which did not help. As soon as i plugged the NEW actuator on the right front door the key fob quit working. The alarm would go off, non of the door locks would work with the key fob. even the trunk actuator would not work from the key fob.I finally went ahead and reprogrammed the key. Guess what everything works fine now. I looked on line and nobody ever mentioned that you may have to reprogram the key fob. Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-20, 08:31 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,022 Likes on 813 Posts

Hi friends awesome thread and great posts,
Here is the wiring for the door lock actuator on driver's side.
There is nothing to program but there is a wire on pin 4 for "door unlock detection" used for theft deterrent/alarm system if triggered without using a key or FOB.
Probably best to do this job with battery unhooked since it might seem to cause problems at Pin 4- just a guess IMHO because this has me stumped too. lol
* There is no sensors or limit switchs and nothing to calibrate(see below)- just simple switches and a motor/actuator best I can see.

Pin 1(A-): Motor (-)
Pin 2(A+): Motor (+)
Pin 3(LSWE): Power(for switches)
Pin 4(LSW): Door unlock detection switch
Pin 5(KL): Door lock (switch contact)
Pin 6(KUL): Door unlock(switch contact)