RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Repairing differential

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 04:13 AM
farik797
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing differential

Hello everyone, I have a diploma work about creating a place for repairing differential of automobiles Lexus.
Can you please help me to get some answers:
1) Where I can find what kind of differential is stand by in every model of RX( RX300 , RX350 and etc.)?
2) Where I can find information about every type of differential is used by in Lexus automobiles?
3) What instruments and equipment do you know, that can help me to repair differential?

Thank you!
Old 03-08-17, 07:11 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.
Is the 'diploma' typo (autocorrection got you] or you are trying to set an actual shop or ?
When you say repair .. you are trying one of the following

1. Leaking seals [most common].
2. Broken/cracked shell.
3. Gear issue [whine, broken gear].

Item one can be done with the diff on the vehicle.
Item 2 .. You need to remove the diff and need to source the shell. Savage yard are you best bet, Depending on condition of the old and the recently acquired you may have to get into item 3.
Item 3 .. this is where you need skill and means of measuring backlash and have assorted shims to adjust. Very few people have that skill.

Salim
Old 03-08-17, 08:57 AM
farik797
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Welcome to Club Lexus.
Is the 'diploma' typo (autocorrection got you] or you are trying to set an actual shop or ?
When you say repair .. you are trying one of the following

1. Leaking seals [most common].
2. Broken/cracked shell.
3. Gear issue [whine, broken gear].

Item one can be done with the diff on the vehicle.
Item 2 .. You need to remove the diff and need to source the shell. Savage yard are you best bet, Depending on condition of the old and the recently acquired you may have to get into item 3.
Item 3 .. this is where you need skill and means of measuring backlash and have assorted shims to adjust. Very few people have that skill.

Salim
Thank you for answering.
I meant Graduation Work/project.

​​​You explained the causes of breaking.
But I asked about the difference of differential between different RX models (is the differential in Rx 300 same like in Rx 350?). Where I can find the information about it?

​​​​​​And about broken/cracked shell. What kind of instruments (i mean specific) do you use to reconstruct the differential?
Old 03-08-17, 09:32 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Now that we know it a graduation project, we can discuss more.

Business End:
I would stress that you focus on this lot more than the technical aspect. If I was a betting guy, I would say chances of survival of RX differential repair speciality shop is low. Dont let me dampen your spirits as there is lot of fun and learning in doing a market analysis and proving or disproving viability without investing real $$$$. Success is not the only way to learn.

Technical:
I did not want to guess, that is why I did not answer type of Diffs available for First Gen AWD RX [speculation normal and LSD].

Determination of cracked diff is visual and leaks. You can be creative and make a jig to low level pressurize (or vacuum) the pumpkin by sealing the three openings and capping the vent tube.
Please google back-lash adjustment to find the instrumentation and skill needed. From memory, micrometer, feeler gauge, torque wrench, table with couple of strategically placed vices, dust free environment etc.

When you are done, please share your findings as it will be very educational for all of us.

Salim