RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replacing Front Seat Belts (as a unit)

Old 10-23-15, 05:46 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Front Seat Belts (as a unit)

This is a quick DIY for replacing your front seat belts. This is only to replace with a new part. It is NOT for re-webbing.

Tools needed:
  1. Panel/trim removing tools or something similar that won't damage your trim.
  2. Socket & drive, 14mm & 10mm socket.
  3. Short drive extension (3" minimum will work)
  4. Torque wrench (optional)

There are three 14mm bolts; each is slightly different. Make sure you mark or organize your bolts.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am providing ESTIMATED torque pounds. I don't have the part of the manual that details this replacement and I couldn't find torque specs online. If anyone has this information, please feel free to add to this.

HOW TORQUE POUNDS WERE ESTIMATED: Before removing the bolts, I used my torque wrench as if to tighten them and started at the lowest foot pounds, then increased by 2 pound increments until the wrench clicked. There is no guarantee that these are correct. I just wanted an idea of how tight a bolt should be. I did this to each side and reached the same number.

!!!USE THESE TORQUE SPECS & GUIDE AT YOUR OWN PERIL!!!

These instructions and pictures are based on the passenger side. It is the same process for the driver's side.

Last edited by thaeleelyr; 10-23-15 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 05:49 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 1: Disconnect the Battery

Move your seat(s) as far forward as they will go.

Disconnect the battery to prevent any accidental deployment of safety features.

Wait at least a few minutes before replacing the seat belt.

Last edited by thaeleelyr; 10-23-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:05 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 2: Loosen the weatherstripping around both doors.

Using a trim tool or equivalent, begin to remove the weather stripping by working the tool under the strip starting from the inside. This is important as you can damage the black foam weather stripping if you try to pry on it. Once you can get your fingers under the inner trim, simply pull it straight out; it is molded to hold onto the edge of the metal.

You only need to remove the strip along the center panel (both front and rear sides) and a few inches along the top & bottom. You are only just starting to remove this as you'll need to deal with the step panel (next).

Old 10-23-15, 06:13 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default 3) 3) Loosen/remove the step panel (<--not an official term)

You only need to loosen the step panel that is closest to the center seat belt panel. If you want, you can remove it completely note that the bottom part of the trim is connected pretty strongly by clips to the bottom step panel. I found it safest & easiest to move the step panel with the trim instead of trying to remove just the step panel.

Continue to remove the weather stripping until the center seat belt panel is exposed.

The seat belt panel is on the left and slips under the step panel.
Old 10-23-15, 06:26 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 4: Remove the lower seat belt bolt cover

This bolt & cover is located directly on the floor. To remove the cover, first use a tool to pry the top away from the belt. Then grasp the cover with your hand and push down towards the floor, then out away from the belt. The bottom of the cover is fitted around the shape of the hardware. You need to clear that before you can pull it off. If the rug prevents you from pushing down enough to clear it, you can pull/push the belt towards the floor to angle the bottom away from the floor.

Old 10-23-15, 06:29 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 5: Remove the lower seat belt bolt

Using a 14mm socket and extension, remove the lower seat belt bolt. [torque 40 ft. lb.]

Last edited by thaeleelyr; 10-23-15 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:33 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 6: Remove the height adjustment cover (access upper bolt)

Using a very thin tool, gently pry on the cover from the opposite side of the release button (frontmost on passenger's side, rearmost on driver's side) to release.

Last edited by thaeleelyr; 10-23-15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:42 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 7: Remove seat belt height adjustment bolt

Remove this bolt (14mm) [torque 28 ft. lb.]

Last edited by thaeleelyr; 10-23-15 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 06:48 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 8: Remove center panel (bottom only)

The center panel is divided into two parts, upper & lower. You want to remove the lower part. To do so, make sure your step panels are loose on both sides, then gently pry on the panel near the top.
Once the top is loosened and is angled out a bit, gently lift the entire panel up to release it from the lower clips.

There is a photo below showing the clip placements on the removed panel. The three large clips on the top part pull straight out, the smaller half-moon looking clips are the ones that slide. Reassembly is to seat the panel into these two small clips, then snap the top back into place.

Old 10-23-15, 06:57 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 9: Remove 2 electrical connections

Disconnect the black cable (white connector) by squeezing the tab. Disconnect the yellow cable by first flipping the metal piece away from the cable (first photo). Then pull the plug straight out (last photo). Note that for ease of picture taking, the unit was first removed from the frame. It is best to remove the connectors first to prevent breaking any delicate wires with the weight of the unit.

The black cable (white connector) has already been disconnected. The metal catch is still in place over the yellow plug.

Metal retainer rotated out of the way.

Both cables removed.
Old 10-23-15, 07:04 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Default Step 10: Remove the bolt

Remove the lower bolt first (14mm) [torque 32 ft. lb.) . Then, pull the seat belt away from the frame a bit to get to the upper bolt (10mm) [torque 18 ft. lb.). Remove the unit and install the new one by following the directions in reverse.
When installing the unit, there are two guide posts that help to line it up exactly where it needs to go.

You can see both bolts in this photo. Near the bottom bolt are two guide prongs that help to seat the unit properly when installing.
Old 10-24-15, 07:20 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks for the very detailed description and photos.
Old 10-24-15, 10:53 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Thank you for the detailed DIY.

Please add a link to this thread in the DIY sticky.

If any member could add the specs, it would be a great addition. I vaguely remember posting the the test procedure. If some one finds it (I will try to locate it too), please add a link in this thread.

Thank you again for contributing to CL thaeleelyr.

Just curious as to how the belt got in this shape. Is there a snag in the top anchor that needs to filed down or what?

Salim
Old 10-24-15, 06:56 PM
thaeleelyr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Thank you for the detailed DIY.

Please add a link to this thread in the DIY sticky.

If any member could add the specs, it would be a great addition. I vaguely remember posting the the test procedure. If some one finds it (I will try to locate it too), please add a link in this thread.

Thank you again for contributing to CL thaeleelyr.

Just curious as to how the belt got in this shape. Is there a snag in the top anchor that needs to filed down or what?

Salim
You're welcome! This forum has often saved my bacon over the years. I need to contribute a few more.

That would be a 90 lb. Landseer pup I rescued and accidentally left in the car while I ran into a convenience store. Got BOTH front belts that time. The passenger side took the brunt of it, but the driver's had a small tear, but still, alas, it also had to be replaced.

So, new note to self: don't leave 90 lbs. of adorable pup in new environment that suddenly becomes terrifying when you leave for 5 minutes.
Old 10-25-15, 09:34 AM
mizak82
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can do a tutorial on how to vacuum your car if your interested... lol

My belts are looking worn, this maybe in my future.. thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Front Seat Belts (as a unit)