RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

coolant leak at upper radiator hose fitting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-15, 07:54 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default coolant leak at upper radiator hose fitting

Just finished Knock Sensor replacement on my 99 RX300. (Which by far was the biggest DIY project I have ever undertaken). Anyway, part of that included replacing upper radiator hose. I purchased hose from Lexus dealer.

But now appears I have leak at or near the radiator fitting. Not sure if it is the hose or the fitting.

Here's the thing...When putting it together, I was getting frustrated with the spring clamps (no matter what pliers I tried to use). My old clamps were pitted, and I had some new traditional screw down clamps around. I thought; this hose is easily accessible, I can adjust if needed. So I used one of those clamps initially.

Anyway after the leak was noticed, I decided to try to put the old clamp back on. Still appears to be leaking.

I did not think I cranked it down that tight, but is it possible I damaged the hose (or worse - the fitting) with the "wrong" clamp? If it is the fitting damaged, does that mean "new radiator required"?

At least knock sensor code is gone.
Old 10-13-15, 10:24 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Words cant convey the info and pics would really help.

On you own you need to do a good visual.

Remove the hose and inspect the fitting for deformation and crust/rust. It needs to smooth and clean and perfect round.Use wire-brush to clean it out if needed.

Next examine the inside of the hose and outside after moving the clamp away. There should be no cracks and no change in inner diameter. [maybe a small indent from the tip of the fitting, keep in mind that history can cause leak .. fresh hose would fix it]. If the mouth of the hose has spread out then once again you should replace the hose.

The clamps are not supposed to create a seal. They are there to prevent hose from coming off under pressure.

The screw on the side clamps can produce tremendous pressure and can deform the hose.

Salim
Old 10-15-15, 07:43 PM
Pzindy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the pointers. Upon further examination, I think the upper radiator hose was secured well enough with the spring clamp. I did have a small leak at the block drain, which apparantly was not quite closed all the way. Tightened it up on 1/8 of a turn, and no more leaks noticable! Drove the car about 15 miles tonight and did not notice any apparant issues.