RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help with 1999 RX300 courtesy light issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 08:03 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with 1999 RX300 courtesy light issues

Both front doors do not turn on any inside lights when I open either one... The lower door courtesy light also do not light up with any of the doors open, I tried with all 5 doors open and they are not working...

Back doors turn on the center dome light when either back door is opened then dome light dims down a few secs after I close them

Rear hatch door turns on both trunk dome light and center dome light when I open it... then once closed the trunk dome light goes off right away and the center dome light dims down after a few secs...

I had this issue with the two front doors not switching any lights on for a while but just recently decided to try and figure out why... Since all 4 door actuator motors went bad I needed to get that fixed so I have now replaced both front door actuator motors in the hopes to find a fix for the lights at the switch or the switch plug but couldn't figure out how to take apart the latch to get to the switch... I did unplug and plug the switch back in a few times but that didn't do anything...

Don't know if it is another issue or if it is related to the front doors but truck does not chime when key is inserted nor does the key light ring work around the ignition key hole...

I'm thinking it is both switches but also can't see how both would go bad at once...

Any help in trying to diagnose this issue is greatly appreciated...
Old 09-12-15, 12:41 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

BUMP...

Bringing this thread back up in hopes of trying get some help in diagnosing this issue...

Additionally, I have now changed all 4 motors for the lock actuators and finally have all 5 locks working again... I'll probably get the back hatch motor go bad soon but at least the four doors have new motors....

While doing the two back doors I looked over the latch assembly best I could and could not figure out a way to get to the switch... although the back doors both turn on the center dome light I was just looking it over carefully to see if it was possible to take it apart and replace the switch... does not look like the switch is replaceable so the whole assembly needs replacing if it is the switch... If anyone has replaced this switch without replacing the whole assembly I really would like to see how it's done

I looked over all the fuses both in the engine compartment and behind the little tray under the steering wheel, all good...

I checked both bulbs under both front doors and they are fine...

Is there anything that someone can think of that I can test to try and figure this out? It is both front doors that do nothing for lighting nor door open warning on dash...

When I insert key there is no chime but when I turn key on all the way before start it does chime, so now I don't remember if it chimed with key inserted in and the off position...
Old 09-12-15, 11:11 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

It is sad indeed when you broadcast to the whole world and no one answers back. We try our best to answer questions but a bad answer is worse than no answer.

As you have discovered the lock actuator has the door closure, door lock (motor for electronic lock) and the switch for the door close/ajar.

Please get hold of a wiring diagram and trace continuity. What you are experiencing is not something common for which other members have running knowledge.

Salim
Old 09-13-15, 02:05 PM
6.0PSD
Driver

Thank you Salim for acknowledging my post... Guess I'm on my own on this one... If I somehow figure out what my car problem is I will definitely come back here to let everyone know what the fix is, in case it is ever needed for anyone else...

Guess I should have jumped the switches when I had them apart to see if they are the problem, I'll have to take it all apart again to test them... Then don't know what else to look at...

Even though this is something I would like to fix I have other things that I am now going to research and try and figure out... I am the second owner and purchased this rx March 2008 with 83k miles on the odometer and without doing any research on this vehicle never knew there were more to look for for this model... I just ran the serial number yesterday through the lexus network and to my understanding it looks like the last service done there was at 175K miles by the previous owner... I'm now confused with all the write ups that lexus did as the mileage recorded for the service done at lexus is either inaccurate or previous owner did something with the odometer to falsely sell it with lower mileage...going to start another thread soon about this to see if anyone can explain to me what they see from my vehicles' serial number
Old 09-13-15, 11:17 PM
salimshah

The door ajar/close switch is activated by the U hook in the door jamb. Partial close will still see it open. Once armed with the circuit diagram, you can check for switch proper behavior at the far end of the wires.

Salim
Old 09-14-15, 06:49 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a very difficult issue to diagnose. I had a similar issue with mine. 2/4 actuators were shot on my RX and it took me forever to get them fixed. But once I did, I was able to program my keys and get all my lights back working again. When you end up taking the switch and actuator out for replacement, make sure to clean all contacts. The wiring for the courtesy lights on the doors correlates directly to the door switch. I was able to take the bulb out of my courtesy light in the door, and all the sudden the door ajar recognition started working and all was well. After the vehicle recognized things were back to normal, I was able to put the light back in to continue to have it working. I put the bulb back in after about a month. I let the vehicle cycle many times through door ajar before I put the bulb back in to insure all was corrected. Sounds very strange, but the RX is wired very strangely in regards to the door switch and courtesy lights. I will try and dig up a wiring diagram that a member sent me a few years back. Maybe that will help.
Old 09-15-15, 05:28 AM
6.0PSD
Driver

Thank you... It will really help knowing where the wires travel to, so if you ever do find that schematic please send it my way...
Old 09-15-15, 09:32 AM
salimshah

You can try paid subscription to AllData.

Salim