RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking to get into a RCF in the near future, any thing to really look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 01:38 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

That pricing is too high for a 2015. I'm not aware of many documented cases of the TVD blowing up.
The following users liked this post:
bigotter (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 01:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Originally Posted by bigotter
Not to hijack the thread but I am also looking to get an RC F in the near future for myself. I would use the car both as a daily and as a track car. The forum says these are very reliable and this thread includes good info on things to look for and TSB's. However, there is one thing I haven't been able to find: has anyone had issues with TVD? Since I will be tracking I have always considered looking for an RC F with TVD, but I'm looking at a 2015 car that is out of warranty and the TVD is mighty expensive, so my concern is if it can withstand track duty. For full context, I'm currently looking at a 2015 RC F with 50k mi, premium + navigation/ML audio + performance packages and the tri-beam headlights, white exterior, red interior for ~41k. I've been looking for a while and it seems a reasonable price given that I'm located in Northern California and the car is here as well. Of course a lower mileage/newer MY would be nicer but I'm working with this budget so I have funds for track days + wear items (brakes, tires).
I have the TVD and carbon package. Had it for more than 3 years. Though, I only have 11,000 miles right now on it, the TVD is absolutely flawless despite it being a complex system. It is a Lexus built in Japan so you would expect that. You don't even notice it is there. You simply activate the mode you want by choosing the type of road you are driving. Normal. Slalom and Track. I use 'Slalom' 99% of the time because it maximizes steering on-center response at slower speeds since I drive on the streets. When you drive it, it simply changes the character of the car and locks up very quickly and suddenly even making the tail slide easily while powering out of tight turns.

Never heard anyone else ever having issues with the TVD either.
bigotter (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 01:52 PM
bigotter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have the TVD and carbon package. Had it for more than 3 years. Though, I only have 11,000 miles right now on it, the TVD is absolutely flawless despite it being a complex system. It is a Lexus built in Japan so you would expect that. You don't even notice it is there. You simply activate the mode you want by choosing the type of road you are driving. Normal. Slalom and Track. I use 'Slalom' 99% of the time because it maximizes steering on-center response at slower speeds since I drive on the streets. When you drive it, it simply changes the character of the car and locks up very quickly and suddenly even making the tail slide easily while powering out of tight turns.

Never heard anyone else ever having issues with the TVD either.
Good to confirm that All I had found was another thread where the price of TVD unit was discussed and someone mentioning any issues would likely mean replacing parts within the TVD and not whole unit itself.

Originally Posted by Lend0
That pricing is too high for a 2015. I'm not aware of many documented cases of the TVD blowing up.
It's true, most 2015's had started to dip into high 30's earlier this year, but I've searched just about everywhere and unless I'm willing to go out of state this is one of the only available options at the time if I want to keep those 3 packages. I could always wait a bit longer but I'm really digging the white ext. with red int. and with these 3 packages I had only found one in Jan/Feb (a 2017, in the higher 40's though).
Old 08-03-20, 02:21 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Good to confirm that All I had found was another thread where the price of TVD unit was discussed and someone mentioning any issues would likely mean replacing parts within the TVD and not whole unit itself.

It's true, most 2015's had started to dip into high 30's earlier this year, but I've searched just about everywhere and unless I'm willing to go out of state this is one of the only available options at the time if I want to keep those 3 packages. I could always wait a bit longer but I'm really digging the white ext. with red int. and with these 3 packages I had only found one in Jan/Feb (a 2017, in the higher 40's though).
Yes, TVD is very expensive to replace, but never heard of any issues. Personally, I am not concerned at all about any issues arising in the future.

I think the pricing is fine. It was $80+K when brand new and it is 50% after 5 years. If it is low mileage 2015, mint condition with a spotless and clean record etc, they go for mid-40s. The ones dipping into the 30s are beaten down RCFs with exterior, interior wear and tear, high mileage, curb rashes and potential repairs etc. Plus, the one you are looking at has the carbon fiber/TVD package, which was a $6000 option on it. All of the mint condition RCFs are still at least in the 40s from what I have seen other members say.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-03-20 at 02:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
AlexAviles (08-12-20), bigotter (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 02:47 PM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd shoot them an offer for $36K and take it from there. How many owners?

It sounds like it's loaded up which is why I went for mine coupled with the miles. Oh I almost forgot to mention, the LEDs are insane at night!
bigotter (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 03:55 PM
bigotter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, TVD is very expensive to replace, but never heard of any issues. Personally, I am not concerned at all about any issues arising in the future.

I think the pricing is fine. It was $80+K when brand new and it is 50% after 5 years. If it is low mileage 2015, mint condition with a spotless and clean record etc, they go for mid-40s. The ones dipping into the 30s are beaten down RCFs with exterior, interior wear and tear, high mileage, curb rashes and potential repairs etc. Plus, the one you are looking at has the carbon fiber/TVD package, which was a $6000 option on it. All of the mint condition RCFs are still at least in the 40s from what I have seen other members say.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've seen. Ideally I'd want fewer miles but with how reliable these seem to be, it'll probably just come down to interior wear since that can be more random depending on how/where it was kept and used. Appreciate the feedback though, I don't feel so crazy now

Originally Posted by Lend0
I'd shoot them an offer for $36K and take it from there. How many owners?

It sounds like it's loaded up which is why I went for mine coupled with the miles. Oh I almost forgot to mention, the LEDs are insane at night!
2 owner car, I'll end up haggling anyways but I suspect they'll hit me with the "if you finance with us" which I'm not going to. And good to hear! I was very set on getting one with the LED's just based on previous experiences, but it's better to know they're great in this car specifically.