RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking to get into a RCF in the near future, any thing to really look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 04:58 AM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to get into a RCF in the near future, any thing to really look out for?

Hey guys my wife has been in the market for a RCF for quite some time now and she is ready to buy when the price is right. We are currently looking at one 2015 with 49k miles priced at 38k with their no-haggle pricing. Ive owed a few lexus in my past and love the drive and reliability. I haven't had Fs myself but am open to buying one in the future.

I just wanted to know what to really look out for particularly on the 2015-2016 RCFs. The one we're currently looking at is white with the red interior. The only thing I've heard is to look at the carbon fiber on the interior to see if it is delaminating. Is there anything else I should look for mechanically? All the help is much appreciated!!

Sorry one more thing, you guys think 38k is priced well for a 2015 with 49k miles? It has a "clean title" but i know there is touch up work done on the rear right bumper but barely noticable, i am very particular with my cars. haha. 2 owner california car

PS i dont know why there is a thumbs down there hahah i didnt mean to put that there
Old 04-25-20, 05:30 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The RCF is a fantastic car with very few problems or issues. Yes, carbon fiber delamination is something to look out for, as is some delamination or "bubbling" of the main display screen. Side bolsters on the driver's seat is something to look at as well, as some cars have abnormal wear, particularly on that left bolster. Mechanically though, these cars are very reliable. It is extremely rare to find any engine, transmission or suspension issues that are going to plague you, and like with most Lexus cars, this one should give you 200K+ relatively trouble free miles with just routine maintenance. That's the expectation when people buy a Lexus.

As for pricing, you could probably find a car with a little less mileage for $38K, but that is not a terrible price. The only real major option difference is whether or not your car is equipped with the performance package and has the TVD (torque vectoring differential) option. Some people (enter 05RollaXRS) will say that having a car with the TVD option is an absolute must. I would suggest it all depends on how you're going to use your car. If you're going to be blasting down twisty back roads or tracking your car with any regularity, you will probably want the TVD option just because it'll give you a little extra handling edge. But if you're not planning to drive your car like that, then I would not consider it an option that you MUST have. The non-TVD model is almost certainly more car than you're going to be able to drive legally, and to be perfectly honest, I would be most people would not independently be able to tell the difference unless they were driving the different equipped cars hard, back to back. The Mark Levinson sound and triple-beam headlights are other "options" but it seems virtually every car has both of those things equipped from the factory. I don't know the percentages, but it seems Lexus made very few cars without both of those things.

Mid-Upper $30s is what you're going to expect to pay for a 2015 depending on mileage and condition, so if you get closer to $35K than $39K you may end up with a better deal. Some private sellers are letting theirs go for under $35K, and some dealerships are still asking over $40K for certified versions.
Old 04-25-20, 05:39 AM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Fortunately, the bolsters actually look untouched. I'm thinking the car was babied from the past two owners.
Although it would be nice to have TVD I dont think that is an option my wife really needs or wants. Shell be using the RCF for daily driving really only to drive to and from work. This will be her first luxury/performace car. I just made sure to let her know to respect the power and shell be ok.
The car we've been looking at is at a mercedes dealer. We just feel that buying it from a dealer gives us a better peace of mind than buying it from a private seller. Yes it may be a little cheaper but may or may not be properly taken care of.

Thanks for your input VBB!

Originally Posted by vbb
Welcome to the forum. The RCF is a fantastic car with very few problems or issues. Yes, carbon fiber delamination is something to look out for, as is some delamination or "bubbling" of the main display screen. Side bolsters on the driver's seat is something to look at as well, as some cars have abnormal wear, particularly on that left bolster. Mechanically though, these cars are very reliable. It is extremely rare to find any engine, transmission or suspension issues that are going to plague you, and like with most Lexus cars, this one should give you 200K+ relatively trouble free miles with just routine maintenance. That's the expectation when people buy a Lexus.

As for pricing, you could probably find a car with a little less mileage for $38K, but that is not a terrible price. The only real major option difference is whether or not your car is equipped with the performance package and has the TVD (torque vectoring differential) option. Some people (enter 05RollaXRS) will say that having a car with the TVD option is an absolute must. I would suggest it all depends on how you're going to use your car. If you're going to be blasting down twisty back roads or tracking your car with any regularity, you will probably want the TVD option just because it'll give you a little extra handling edge. But if you're not planning to drive your car like that, then I would not consider it an option that you MUST have. The non-TVD model is almost certainly more car than you're going to be able to drive legally, and to be perfectly honest, I would be most people would not independently be able to tell the difference unless they were driving the different equipped cars hard, back to back. The Mark Levinson sound and triple-beam headlights are other "options" but it seems virtually every car has both of those things equipped from the factory. I don't know the percentages, but it seems Lexus made very few cars without both of those things.

Mid-Upper $30s is what you're going to expect to pay for a 2015 depending on mileage and condition, so if you get closer to $35K than $39K you may end up with a better deal. Some private sellers are letting theirs go for under $35K, and some dealerships are still asking over $40K for certified versions.
Old 04-25-20, 06:05 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

No problem. Out of curiosity, what do you drive?
Old 04-25-20, 08:12 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Gel2al2d
Hey guys my wife has been in the market for a RCF for quite some time now and she is ready to buy when the price is right. We are currently looking at one 2015 with 49k miles priced at 38k with their no-haggle pricing. Ive owed a few lexus in my past and love the drive and reliability. I haven't had Fs myself but am open to buying one in the future.

I just wanted to know what to really look out for particularly on the 2015-2016 RCFs. The one we're currently looking at is white with the red interior. The only thing I've heard is to look at the carbon fiber on the interior to see if it is delaminating. Is there anything else I should look for mechanically? All the help is much appreciated!!

Sorry one more thing, you guys think 38k is priced well for a 2015 with 49k miles? It has a "clean title" but i know there is touch up work done on the rear right bumper but barely noticable, i am very particular with my cars. haha. 2 owner california car

PS i dont know why there is a thumbs down there hahah i didnt mean to put that there
I would check out the brake pads, brake rotors, and tires. If any, or all, are not in good shape, they will cost a lot to replace!
Old 04-25-20, 08:24 AM
Yri
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Gel2al2d
Fortunately, the bolsters actually look untouched. I'm thinking the car was babied from the past two owners.
Although it would be nice to have TVD I dont think that is an option my wife really needs or wants. Shell be using the RCF for daily driving really only to drive to and from work. This will be her first luxury/performace car. I just made sure to let her know to respect the power and shell be ok.
The car we've been looking at is at a mercedes dealer. We just feel that buying it from a dealer gives us a better peace of mind than buying it from a private seller. Yes it may be a little cheaper but may or may not be properly taken care of.

Thanks for your input VBB!
If your wife is gonna use it for daily driving, it might be better to buy a RC 350, better gas mileage and less expensive. The RC F is a good daily driver though, so if you want it, go ahead.
Old 04-25-20, 08:44 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

From my experience on an early 15:

- high pressure fuel pump tsb
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...j2b-a110-d.pdf
- low pressure fuel pump tsb (will make an odd humming/ buzzing sound around seat)
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...34339-9999.pdf
- worn seals on the moonroof that’s create clunking sounds during bumpy roads (if non-TVD)
https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...UtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz
- delaminates of carbon fiber trim
- active wing tsb
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...oning-8562.pdf
- infotainment screen bubbling tsb
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...6/L-SB-0002-16
-Navigation reboot
L-SB-0032-16

Even with some of the annoyances I experienced it’s an excellent car. Look out for the above and check wearables (brakes, tires). And all should be good.
The following users liked this post:
Yri (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 10:44 AM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I purchased a used 2015 RCF with 37K miles on it as my daily driver last year and have never regretted it. I bought it from a private seller in CA and they had purchased it a year earlier as a CPO with a 5 year Lexus Platinum unlimited mileage warranty that was transferable for free when I bought the car. I have 41,000 on it now, but I have enjoyed every mile!
Brakes and Rotors are almost always be changed at the same time and are very expensive. Check the tire tread life and what also tires are on it. Tires can make a big difference in handling and good tires are expensive. I have Pirelli P Zero tires, but I will probably switch to Michelin Pilot Sport tires when these wear out (and tires wear out a LOT faster than they did on my IS 350)
Check the maintenance records. If Lexus did the service, you can look up the service records by the VIN. I would just want to know that the required maintenance was done.
Check the oil level on the dip stick. The 2015 service manual appears to be wrong and it's common to be a quart over filled according to the dip stick.
That's not a bad price, assuming it's in great condition and doesn't need anything.
Old 04-25-20, 10:50 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Get the Pilot Sport 4S in XL sidewalls. That is what I am getting this Monday. OEM Super Sports are fine, but they are the softer version rather than XL stiffer sidewall one's. PS4S are the best one's out today this side of racing slicks.

Originally Posted by SUNNYRCF
I purchased a used 2015 RCF with 37K miles on it as my daily driver last year and have never regretted it. I bought it from a private seller in CA and they had purchased it a year earlier as a CPO with a 5 year Lexus Platinum unlimited mileage warranty that was transferable for free when I bought the car. I have 41,000 on it now, but I have enjoyed every mile!
Brakes and Rotors are almost always be changed at the same time and are very expensive. Check the tire tread life and what also tires are on it. Tires can make a big difference in handling and good tires are expensive. I have Pirelli P Zero tires, but I will probably switch to Michelin Pilot Sport tires when these wear out (and tires wear out a LOT faster than they did on my IS 350)
Check the maintenance records. If Lexus did the service, you can look up the service records by the VIN. I would just want to know that the required maintenance was done.
Check the oil level on the dip stick. The 2015 service manual appears to be wrong and it's common to be a quart over filled according to the dip stick.
That's not a bad price, assuming it's in great condition and doesn't need anything.
Old 04-25-20, 10:51 AM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I did a quick search of RCFs for sale and this one seems comparable to what your looking at. Lower miles and new front brakes and rotors. I would get a history report to make sure it wasn't involved in an accident, but it looks clean.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
Old 04-25-20, 12:11 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
No problem. Out of curiosity, what do you drive?

Its not everyone cup of tea but I have my prized possession thats been a project since 2008. Doesnt see much daylight now a days with me having a daily which is a 2014 M5
The following users liked this post:
SUNNYRCF (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 12:12 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob67
I would check out the brake pads, brake rotors, and tires. If any, or all, are not in good shape, they will cost a lot to replace!
Looks like tires still have a decent amount of tread. ill make sure to ask about the rotors and pads. Thank you!
Old 04-25-20, 12:14 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cvt
From my experience on an early 15:

- high pressure fuel pump tsb
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...j2b-a110-d.pdf
- low pressure fuel pump tsb (will make an odd humming/ buzzing sound around seat)
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...34339-9999.pdf
- worn seals on the moonroof that’s create clunking sounds during bumpy roads (if non-TVD)
https://www.discountpartsmonster.com...UtMGwtdjgtZ2Fz
- delaminates of carbon fiber trim
- active wing tsb
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...oning-8562.pdf
- infotainment screen bubbling tsb
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...6/L-SB-0002-16
-Navigation reboot
L-SB-0032-16

Even with some of the annoyances I experienced it’s an excellent car. Look out for the above and check wearables (brakes, tires). And all should be good.
wow good know. I would have never looked into these things. Thanks!
Old 04-25-20, 12:17 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Looks to me to be in very good condition. I just had it set in my mind with the current car buying market I could command the price a little better but they wont budge(damn you auto-nation)! hahaha I hope maintenance isnt like the bmw because rotors and pads front and rear will run me about 2100 doing the labor myself SMH. ill have to look into it. Thanks Sunny!
Old 04-25-20, 12:18 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

I did a quick search of RCFs for sale and this one seems comparable to what your looking at. Lower miles and new front brakes and rotors. I would get a history report to make sure it wasn't involved in an accident, but it looks clean.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
HAHAH thats the exact one i'm looking at! Sorry my mileage count is a lot off. What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Looking to get into a RCF in the near future, any thing to really look out for?