GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Why Are All Pre-Owned GS-F's Thrashed ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 08:25 AM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Why Are All Pre-Owned GS-F's Thrashed ?

Hello gang,

This is more a post of frustration than anything, but seriously, why are all used GS-F's trashed? I've been looking for a clean low mile example for over two years, yes two years! Perhaps my expectations are too high and I should shell out of the extra $20k for a new one....

I've mainly focused on L-certified cars but have also looked at non L-Certified and private party. Even the L-certified cars are junk. Here's what I've noticed the most, cracked / chipped carbon fiber front lips, scraped front bumpers, curbed wheels, deep scratches throughout the body, wrong or poor quality tires, and interiors that looked like a small dog has run amuck.

I don't get it - its not like these cars were sold to 16 year olds. It just seems like there has been no pride in ownership with these.

Anyone else notice this during their search ?
The following 2 users liked this post by IMAGINTHAT:
IamT (01-17-20), NinjaNap (03-01-20)
Old 01-17-20, 08:53 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Been looking for about a year and I've noticed the same thing. Did you go look at that one in Woodland Hills? I've had 200k mile Lexuses that were in better shape than that one. It was a smoker car and the body panels didn't line up. The alcantara was peeling from wear. CF pieces were scratched and peeling. And the seats were cracking and it only had 40k miles on it. Private party GSFs are nonexistent. I'm about to buy a plane ticket to go see some on the east coast because the ones around here are trashed.
The following 3 users liked this post by chrispy:
IamT (01-17-20), IMAGINTHAT (01-17-20), NinjaNap (03-02-20)
Old 01-17-20, 09:17 AM
Dre01SS
Rookie

Received 143 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe a California thing? I checked a couple in ATL, even a high-mileage one that was surprisingly tight. Exterior and interior wear were as expected, and not out of norm with just a small exception, a paint chip by the driver door handle. Ended up picking mine up from FL, L/Certified and in fantastic condition.

I'd make sure your expectations were in check though; if you're looking used don't expect pristine. Also scraped bottom front bumper? Sound like a reason to add the TOM's splitter and it'll cover it right up
The following users liked this post:
NinjaNap (03-02-20)
Old 01-17-20, 10:53 AM
Aznluder
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dre01SS
Maybe a California thing? I checked a couple in ATL, even a high-mileage one that was surprisingly tight. Exterior and interior wear were as expected, and not out of norm with just a small exception, a paint chip by the driver door handle. Ended up picking mine up from FL, L/Certified and in fantastic condition.

I'd make sure your expectations were in check though; if you're looking used don't expect pristine. Also scraped bottom front bumper? Sound like a reason to add the TOM's splitter and it'll cover it right up
Mine was L/Certified too in Florida and it was in fantastic condition. It was a corporate lease vehicle so maybe that’s why it wasn’t beaten to hell.
Old 01-17-20, 11:57 AM
stevesands
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could tell you why the (exteriors) are beat on, but I'd rather show you:

(not mine btw; although it could be)

Maybe you'd do better with an LS or GS 350?
The following users liked this post:
Aznluder (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 12:44 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Aznluder
Mine was L/Certified too in Florida and it was in fantastic condition. It was a corporate lease vehicle so maybe that’s why it wasn’t beaten to hell.
"Corporate Lease" is how all of my pool service trucks are listed for my business in Florida.

Randy B
Old 01-17-20, 01:33 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

I just sold my '17 350 F-Sport with 30k miles. Not a single ding, dent, or scratch. All wheels in perfect shape and the interior was immaculate. The only imperfection was a pin head sized chip on on the front fender. I can't expect everyone to care for their cars like I do but man - some of these look like they have 3 times their actual mileage.
Old 01-17-20, 01:51 PM
IamT
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
Hello gang,

This is more a post of frustration than anything, but seriously, why are all used GS-F's trashed? I've been looking for a clean low mile example for over two years, yes two years! Perhaps my expectations are too high and I should shell out of the extra $20k for a new one....

I've mainly focused on L-certified cars but have also looked at non L-Certified and private party. Even the L-certified cars are junk. Here's what I've noticed the most, cracked / chipped carbon fiber front lips, scraped front bumpers, curbed wheels, deep scratches throughout the body, wrong or poor quality tires, and interiors that looked like a small dog has run amuck.

I don't get it - its not like these cars were sold to 16 year olds. It just seems like there has been no pride in ownership with these.

Anyone else notice this during their search ?
I have a 2016 white on red with 46k miles I will be selling soon. I've owned a E92 M3, F80 M3, 981 Porsche Boxster S, etc... so I'm one of those "car guys" that actually take car of their car. Located in Socal

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-17-20 at 02:21 PM. Reason: No selling in the main forums - put it in the classifieds
Old 01-17-20, 02:00 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by IMAGINTHAT
I just sold my '17 350 F-Sport with 30k miles. Not a single ding, dent, or scratch. All wheels in perfect shape and the interior was immaculate. The only imperfection was a pin head sized chip on on the front fender. I can't expect everyone to care for their cars like I do but man - some of these look like they have 3 times their actual mileage.
That's me too. That's my pet peeve: no dents or scratches.
Old 01-17-20, 02:18 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I mean... people either buy GSFs to keep and care for many years. Or lease and beat the hell out of it imo just to test it.
Old 01-17-20, 02:31 PM
Aznluder
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
"Corporate Lease" is how all of my pool service trucks are listed for my business in Florida.

Randy B
haha well gsf isn’t exactly a service vehicle. Either way it was well kept.
Old 01-17-20, 02:43 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 73 Posts

This is why you look into CL forum before you buy it from anywhere else. I know CL member keep their car nice and clean! If I find right color combo on this forum, I would buy it from the forum member.
Old 01-17-20, 03:41 PM
the2ndr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not looking for a GS F, but looking at 14-16 F Sports soon and I see used dealers selling cars with dog hair all over the car and I'm trying to figure out are they that busy to not clean the car up and hide some of the issues the pics won't show?
Old 01-18-20, 10:45 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Because it's such an amazing car, nobody wants to let go of theirs... unless they thrash it.
The following 4 users liked this post by designo:
1wacko (01-18-20), Aznluder (01-19-20), lobuxracer (01-19-20), WaterFish (01-19-20)
Old 02-07-20, 12:18 AM
sashi
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is 2016 Nebula GSF with 14k miles, clear bra all around(except roof & rear), and not a single dent or scratch except couple small rock chip scratches on the front window from those damm semis hogging up the fast lane on the freeway.

I listed mine couple years ago here in the forum for around $54,000 when it had about 3000 miles on it... Nobody wanted to pay the price, and now I've decided to keepnit forever.

Back then, it was my weekend car(I had 2 other cars which were GX460 & a Kia Sedona). Got rid of both since then, thus the mileage rackup since its my daily now. But 14k miles is still damm low for a 2016 GSF...

Looking to buy a 2020 GX460 towards the endbof this year, and my GSF goes back to being a weekend car... Hopefully it happens before I hit 25k miles...

As far as preowned GSFs being thrashed, I'm not one of them. Mine is more immaculate than a 2020 GSF sitting in the dealer lots.....

Quick Reply: Why Are All Pre-Owned GS-F's Thrashed ?