RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looking to get into a RCF in the near future, any thing to really look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 10:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,753 Posts

I was going to advise showing the TSB on the rear low pressure fuel pump until I read the end of your post. Good thing it has been resolved and they reflashed your ECU (or probably changed the fuel pump).

Originally Posted by Gel2al2d
hmm i have not really looked into other brands just because our friend is selling the coils for a deal we cannot refuse. my wife has ridden in his car already with the coils installed and was happy.

On a side note, took the RCF back to the dealership where we bought the car (El Cajon) and the service scheduler had the guts to tell me the fuel pump is usually loud on most lexus'. He said he owned 2 lexus himself and they were all loud at some point. I was amazed this guy was still working there. Trying to turn customers away like that. I've had a GS and LS myself and not one had a loud fuel pump that you could hear like a race car hahah. I made sure to tell him that I have had other RCF owners tell me its the fuel pump and it just needs to be reflashed. He took it as if I was telling him how to do his job but i was just informing him so that the tech could maybe narrow down his/her troubleshooting. Little to my surprise when we took the car home no more fuel pump sound. hahah goes to show you why the service attendant was behind the counter and not behind the tools in the garage.
Old 06-28-20, 12:23 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 545 Likes on 361 Posts

hmm i have not really looked into other brands just because our friend is selling the coils for a deal we cannot refuse. my wife has ridden in his car already with the coils installed and was happy.

On a side note, took the RCF back to the dealership where we bought the car (El Cajon) and the service scheduler had the guts to tell me the fuel pump is usually loud on most lexus'. He said he owned 2 lexus himself and they were all loud at some point. I was amazed this guy was still working there. Trying to turn customers away like that. I've had a GS and LS myself and not one had a loud fuel pump that you could hear like a race car hahah. I made sure to tell him that I have had other RCF owners tell me its the fuel pump and it just needs to be reflashed. He took it as if I was telling him how to do his job but i was just informing him so that the tech could maybe narrow down his/her troubleshooting. Little to my surprise when we took the car home no more fuel pump sound. hahah goes to show you why the service attendant was behind the counter and not behind the tools in the garage.
I’m confused. Did it just disappear or did they reflash it? If it just disappeared on its own it WILL come back. AMHIK.

If that is the case, best bet at that point is to record it, take the tsb to Longo and make sure they do it (have it noted on your paperwork). It’s obvious the service people and Lexus of El Cajon are not familiar with the issue.

here is the tsb concerning the noise:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...34339-9999.pdf
Old 06-29-20, 06:19 AM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I was able to get it flashed that day. Noise is now gone.

Originally Posted by cvt
I’m confused. Did it just disappear or did they reflash it? If it just disappeared on its own it WILL come back. AMHIK.

If that is the case, best bet at that point is to record it, take the tsb to Longo and make sure they do it (have it noted on your paperwork). It’s obvious the service people and Lexus of El Cajon are not familiar with the issue.

here is the tsb concerning the noise:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...34339-9999.pdf
Old 07-20-20, 10:23 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Shes the white RCF at the end. Lowered on coilovers and fully tinted including her windshield. We'll soon be doing a chrome delete to the windows and front grill.

Wife has started modding, well actually i have hahaha. love this platform!
The following 4 users liked this post by Gel2al2d:
05RollaXRS (07-20-20), 1wacko (07-21-20), BossMoss (07-21-20), konichiwa3 (07-29-20)
Old 07-20-20, 10:34 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great. What brand of coilovers did you get? I would say, do full exhaust next. The best first mod. Totally changes character of the car.
Old 07-20-20, 10:51 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Rolla, We got a good deal from our friend we couldnt pass up. The coils are made from ARK. I was hesitant at first because i've never heard of the brand but after seeing them, they looked well built and not leaking. I got them for less than lowering springs. We couldnt be happier. Honestly I dont think she wants an exhaust just because she doesnt want to be hassled by cops and its too expensive haha. Since the RCF platform is good as it is already, she would be more into cosmetics more than anything.
Old 07-20-20, 10:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Rolla, We got a good deal from our friend we couldnt pass up. The coils are made from ARK. I was hesitant at first because i've never heard of the brand but after seeing them, they looked well built and not leaking. I got them for less than lowering springs. We couldnt be happier. Honestly I dont think she wants an exhaust just because she doesnt want to be hassled by cops and its too expensive haha. Since the RCF platform is good as it is already, she would be more into cosmetics more than anything.
Good to hear it all worked out well for you. Keep posting updates.
Old 07-22-20, 05:31 PM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

I noticed today after driving it that when in manual mode and standard is the only time it rev matches. When i go into sport or sport plus the tranny feels lazy and doesnt want to rev match? are there any settings i need to change?
Old 07-22-20, 05:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I noticed today after driving it that when in manual mode and standard is the only time it rev matches. When i go into sport or sport plus the tranny feels lazy and doesnt want to rev match? are there any settings i need to change?
Did you have the car properly warmed up? The transmission is seriously "detuned" unless the car has been properly warmed up, which is around 15 minutes of driving. I use Sport+ almost all of the time and it rev matches every time it is properly warmed up. Even 2nd to 1st rev-match while coasting to a traffic light stop, is quite dramatic so to speak.
Old 07-22-20, 05:54 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

You should absolutely be getting the rev-matched "throttle blips" when downshifting in sport plus mode, not to mention you should feel a very noticeable and obvious change to the speed of the transmission shifting when at full throttle. It also holds much higher rpms when in auto mode while in sport plus.

Basically everything should be the exact opposite of what you're saying you're experiencing. That's totally strange. Nothing about the car should feel more performance oriented while in normal mode. If you are sure your car is getting lazier and more docile in sport plus, something is wrong. There's nothing in the settings that I'm aware of that can essentially tell the car computer to reverse the modes. I know you can change the display screen in the dash, but that doesnt sound like what you're talking about.
Old 07-27-20, 09:38 AM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vbb
You should absolutely be getting the rev-matched "throttle blips" when downshifting in sport plus mode, not to mention you should feel a very noticeable and obvious change to the speed of the transmission shifting when at full throttle. It also holds much higher rpms when in auto mode while in sport plus.

Basically everything should be the exact opposite of what you're saying you're experiencing. That's totally strange. Nothing about the car should feel more performance oriented while in normal mode. If you are sure your car is getting lazier and more docile in sport plus, something is wrong. There's nothing in the settings that I'm aware of that can essentially tell the car computer to reverse the modes. I know you can change the display screen in the dash, but that doesnt sound like what you're talking about.
hmmm it’s not consistent. It does do it sometimes when I’m hard on the brakes. Maybe I’m just used to my bmw always rev matching every time I downshift.
No matter in comfort, sport, or sport plus.
Old 07-27-20, 10:15 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Are you using manual mode? In manual mode, it will do it every time as long as it is warmed up properly and also in sport/sport+
Old 07-29-20, 03:43 AM
Gel2al2d
Driver School Candidate

yes its warmed up and yes i'm in manual mode. its weird i feel the car do it more in regular mode than sport or sport+

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Are you using manual mode? In manual mode, it will do it every time as long as it is warmed up properly and also in sport/sport+
Old 07-29-20, 09:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe, make a small video of it downshift from 3rd to 2nd at around 4500- 5000 rpm in sport+/manual mode. In theory, it should blip very hard. It made my wife jump out of the seat a few times because she did not expect it. It will make it easier to see how it behaves.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-29-20 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-03-20, 01:28 PM
bigotter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but I am also looking to get an RC F in the near future for myself. I would use the car both as a daily and as a track car. The forum says these are very reliable and this thread includes good info on things to look for and TSB's. However, there is one thing I haven't been able to find: has anyone had issues with TVD? Since I will be tracking I have always considered looking for an RC F with TVD, but I'm looking at a 2015 car that is out of warranty and the TVD is mighty expensive, so my concern is if it can withstand track duty. For full context, I'm currently looking at a 2015 RC F with 50k mi, premium + navigation/ML audio + performance packages and the tri-beam headlights, white exterior, red interior for ~41k. I've been looking for a while and it seems a reasonable price given that I'm located in Northern California and the car is here as well. Of course a lower mileage/newer MY would be nicer but I'm working with this budget so I have funds for track days + wear items (brakes, tires).

Quick Reply: Looking to get into a RCF in the near future, any thing to really look out for?