RC F vs M4 vs 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-19, 03:59 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RC F vs M4 vs 997

Hey all!

I want to hear some thoughts from the Lexus forum on how the RC F stacks up against purchasing an M4 or 997 911. I'm speaking from a value proposition as well as enjoyment. So, obviously used vehicles with good prices. They seem to be in similar price ranges.

I know it's not fair to compare a 911 to these cars but it's what I'm considering. Thoughts from anyone who's driven both the RC F and M4. Most reviews say the RC F feels bloated, heavy and not as capable as the M4 although that's on a track. Does that translate over to street driving as well?

As far as value, I believe the 997 offers incredible value in comparison and is likely to begin appreciating soon. The RC F and M4 both clearly have some depreciating still to do. Has anyone driven all 3 of these vehicles?

I Currently drive and have owned an e46 M3 6MT for about 12 years. Love everything about it but I feel like an upgrade soonish.

My woman obviously wants me to get the Lexus due to reliability and no manual option. I will 100% get a manual if possible which she's not a fan of.
Old 06-16-19, 06:21 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Well the RCF held its own on the track against the M4 with Randy Pobst driving, so the bloated RCF cant be that bad. Very impressive really to think that the RCF a GT car held its own against a lighter more track focused car with Carbon Ceramic brakes.

I think they are all good cars. You cant go wrong with any of them.

I do think the RCF is underrated and is a much better car than the internet would lead you to believe.
Old 06-16-19, 06:30 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

As you might imagine, this comparison has come up a few times especially the m4. Here are a few starter threads

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ghlight=bmw+m4

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...e-sort-of.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...hlight=porsche
Old 06-16-19, 06:58 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

I am the former owner of both a 997.2 C2 and then a 997.1 Turbo. Both were awesome cars. If the RC F is intended to be a fun nice day and weekend car only, I might suggest you go with the Porsche to fill that duty. Every sports car fan should at least try to drive a 911 at some point in their lives, and if you can own one, all the better.

However, Porsche ownership is not without drawbacks. Maintenance is expensive. Reliability is good, but not quite Lexus quality. Daily driveability is not as good. It has less tech and luxury compared to the RC-F. And it's also not as rare. You are right though, the values are holding steady and it may even appreciate soon.

The RC F is the better suited daily driver. When I had my Porsches, I had a truck as a daily driver. I ended up going to just the one vehicle because I wanted something I was going to enjoy everyday. Both are fantastic vehicles, but the RC F checks more boxes for me at this point in my life.

I'll leave the comments and comparisons regarding the M4 to the others. That subject has been covered quite well.
The following users liked this post:
sensai (06-27-19)
Old 06-16-19, 08:41 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

To say that I was unimpressed with the M4 would be an understatement. The interior was plain, the automatic transmission in the one I drove was horrible, the seats were mediocre, and the ride quality was just "meh". Honestly, out of all the cars I tested before deciding on the RCF, it was the easiest one to cross off my list after driving. I didn't have an opportunity to drive a manual, which may have improved the experience, but the n/a V8 was more appealing to me than a turbo'd 6. Reliability was also a big consideration, and finally, while the M4 is a good looking car I think the RCF is (in my opinion) aesthetically superior and definitely stands out in a crowd.
Old 06-17-19, 09:48 AM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Id go with the Porsche or the Lex. M4s are everywhere atleast in my town. Much respect to Porsche 6 cylinder it just sounds amazing, but nothing compares to a V8. Id take a c63S over a M4 anyday.
Old 06-17-19, 10:06 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I don't think I could buy another BMW after the shoddy dealer service, poor workmanship on the cars, lack of soul, etc

I never thought I'd say that about a BMW (in comparison to a Lexus)
Old 06-17-19, 11:00 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

The BMW does nothing for me.... The interior looks boring and dated and so does the exterior. BMW has had the same boring and bland look for a decade now. Not to mention all the BMW's look pretty much the same. When it comes down to it, the RC-F's advantages over the BMW far outweighs the few tenths of a second advantage the BMW may have on the track.

As for the 911, I do like the looks but they are dime a doze, at least where I live. Also, the interior on the 997's feels extremely dated. The 6cyl is also gutless in the lower RPM's. That being said, the 911 will out handle the RC-F and has a huge weight advantage (or lack of).

If the vehicle was going to be a track rat, I'd probably choose the 911. For everything else, I'd choose the RC-F.

Last edited by CK9887; 06-17-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 01:27 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jafsport
Id take a c63S over a M4 anyday.
I hear you. At one point years ago, I was listening to videos of that car like it was a new radio station. Between the sound and the interior, I was in lust over the thing. I never did drive it so who knows how I would feel about it dynamically, it's not a lightweight but it really puts on a good show on the way to and from the fridge.
Old 06-17-19, 05:15 PM
AgentWin
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Car for car, RC f over M4 all day. Its comfortable, stand out of the crowd, and maintenance wise, a lot easier on the wallet. But if you have to go German. C63S hands down over M4.
Old 06-18-19, 03:22 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

To say that the RC F is a much better looking car than the M4 is a pretty tough sell for me. The RC F is definitely more unique looking and stands out more though. I also think it has more classic sports car design cues. The M4 is slightly over styled.

Old 06-18-19, 04:13 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

agree, if anything I've always thought they looked reversed. The m4 can be had in a much less understated guise where it looks like less than it is. The RCF screams, LOOK AT ME I RACE CAR a little more than it actually is. The RC looks good from some angles, the m4 looks good from most angles. The m4 is the more likely to be looked over as another 3 series (yeah it's a 4 series!). The RC almost always makes a statement. Most of my friends and co workers have no idea what that "fancy" car is that I sometimes drive. Two very diff approaches.
Old 06-18-19, 04:40 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

I am going to throw a few pictures of mine, which is aesthetically almost stock. Lots of complements all the time. Both of the looks and the sound of high-strung V8 (especially with the exhaust).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 06-18-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 07:41 AM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I am Porsche fan, so I would choose a 997 instead the M4 for you, but ......I have owned a 997 Carrera 4S MkI with X51 Powerkit (really special car), but I would not buy it again.
First because it will cost me the same car 15k Euros more than the price I sold it, so I think Porsche now is overpriced at least in Europe and it will not retain the price. Is not a classic yet.
Second because 997 MKI or MKII, in comparison with RCF is an old car, and I will miss many RCF upgradings and even knowing that is very enjoyable Lexus does it very well and I am on track just one or two times per year, so just going to the limits you will find the difference .
Interior quality is good but honestly I take RCF interior an specially the seats (Porsche’s leather on 997 gets old easily, not in 991)
I just could only think to go for a special 997 like the Carrera GTS, with Alcántara interior ( more power, more xtras an better investment).

Last edited by winglet; 06-19-19 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 09:50 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

I just watched Doug Demuro's review of the RC-F. It wasn't great, how do you guys reconcile this?

Quick Reply: RC F vs M4 vs 997