RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Porsche Smorsch... I'm coming back home (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 04:40 PM
vbb

Received 198 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Porsche Smorsch... I'm coming back home (sort of)

Oh hey...I'm still a mod over here. Cool.

Anyway, after about a 4 year journey, I'm returning to where I feel most comfortable... high performance Japanese cars. I was a very active member in the Lexus ISF community, a moderator in that subforum on CL and organized (along with another former member) the largest East Coast F meet there ever was. I was also in early with RR Racing and served for a brief time on their volunteer advisory board. I say all of that just to illustrate my love for the brand and how involved I was.

Like a lot of sports car fans, I'd always been a fan of the Porsche brand as well, but it was out of reach for awhile. I traded my ISF for a 911 and thought I'd never look back. It turns out, I ran through a Porsche a year for various reasons. One, on the used market they tend to hold their value really well, so you can have a car, drive it sparingly, then sell it for close to what you paid a year ago. I took advantage of that and had a 2009 911 C2, a 2008 911 TT, a 2015 Cayman and a 2009 Boxster w/PDK in that order. Each car was special in its own way, and I'm grateful I was in a position financially to have that fun. Every sports car fan should experience Porsche ownership at least once in their lives.

Despite all the fun, Porsche ownership is not without its drawbacks. Maintenance is very, very expensive, and not a lot of it is DIY for the amateur. The 911TT had me experience my first "engine out" fix, which cost me a figure I don't even want to type. Another issue is the high entry price. As you probably can guess, Porsches are expensive. When you consider how low some of the cars are optioned from the factory, they're really expensive. You'd think a car with a 6-figure MSRP (or even a car with an MSRP over $50K for that matter) would have regular things like dual zone climate control, heated and cooled seats and a halfway decent stereo system. WRONG. There are a surprising number of P cars out there without the basics. I understand that back in 2008-2009 a lot of those things weren't considered standard, but I guess I got used to things like that. Lastly, the ownership group is very different. I would go to the Porsche meetups (which are very organized and well-attended by the way) and the average age would be about 60yrs old. I have no problems hanging out with older guys and gals, but aside from the car itself, we didn't have a lot in common. I'd bring the wife and kids sometimes and we'd have the only kids there.

I could go on (this is already a long thread...sorry) but while I think Porsche makes many fantastic vehicles, the whole scene and ownership experience just wasn't "me." I came of driving age near the beginner of the tuner scene. My first car was a Civic. I like Volks, Works and Advan wheels. I saw the first FnF movie a dozen times. I'm well past my tuner years, and never got into the stance look, but I still identify more with the Japanese tuner scene than the Porsche scene. Plus the biggest thing... I just love everything that the Lexus F brand has done. Throughout all the Porsches, I keep missing the IS F. I don't need all the horsepower, but I do want the quality, reliability, V8 rumble and upscale finish that Lexus F cars offer. Yes, I know the RC F is a different beast than my IS F was. I know a lot of my old IS F friends never warmed to the RC F. I always liked it though. I drove one awhile ago and liked it. I recently drove it more extensively and loved it.

So tomorrow, I'll be picking up my 1 previous owner, 22K mile 2015 Ultra White RC F. Pictures will be coming soon. It feels good to be home.
The following 14 users liked this post by vbb:
46750 (05-30-19), Apone (05-28-19), Bluecarbon (05-29-19), brainsurge (05-28-19), BS ISF (05-28-19), DaveGS4 (06-23-19), Dribble (05-27-19), fasttexasz (05-30-19), JDR76 (05-28-19), konichiwa3 (05-27-19), Meraki Autoworks (06-23-19), siredward (05-29-19), tekjunke (05-27-19), tuscani66 (05-02-20) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-27-19, 05:03 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome back.

The RCF is a way better car than it has gotten credit for.
Old 05-27-19, 05:31 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Vbb. I concur 100%. I have owned over 50 vehicles and have settled exclusively on Lexus. I only owned one Porsche a 1996 911 TT. I put over 30,000 miles on it and drove it to it’s max speed more than once on long open roads. I now drive an ISF and find it to be a far more enjoyable car to both drive and own. I am far more comfortable and confident driving it than the 911. Son experienced the same he went from a C4 to ISF.. if more folks were honest I bet you’d see this trend repeat itself more often than not.
Old 05-27-19, 05:34 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Really terrific post. As an enthusiast, I always have my eye on the next best thing, but I always come back to the F. Welcome home.
The following users liked this post:
Dragtek (04-28-20)
Old 05-27-19, 05:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Welcome. I am sure you would really enjoy the RCF ownership experience. I have been for 2 years and never looked back. Just last week, I took my car in for the big service and maintenance. At the end of it when I was taking the car back from the dealership, for a moment it dawned on me that I drive an almost 500 HP high strung car without any issues ever. Quite an amazing feat of engineering, if you ask me.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-27-19 at 06:10 PM.
Dribble (05-27-19)
Old 05-28-19, 05:00 AM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I also owned a 2003 Cobalt Blue Carrera 4S and I can attest to it being pricey to maintain. I kept that thing in mint condition and had no reservations keeping it in tip top condition. Ultimately, got sick of the maintenance and wanted something with newer technology and more reliable. Was looking at Aston Martin Vantages and missed out on a 2015 Vantage GT which would've been sold to me for a very good price of 75K but I wasn't financially ready for that specific car just yet. I opted for the RCF and I've loved it ever since the day I got it!!
Limelight (05-28-19)
Old 05-28-19, 12:01 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Welcome back. Its good to have you and also dream crushing to hear how tough the P ownership experience can be. I certainly "knew" it just from looking at the costs involved - but everytime I hear it from a real person, that cayman gets further and further away. Same thing happened with the M3/4 if I'm honest. They kept getting more costly until once I finally could afford it, I no longer wanted to play that pricey game with a car that costs so much to keep on the road.
Old 05-28-19, 12:21 PM
MintCaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you bought the one from vegas?
do you mind me asking how much you payed
I was trying to negotiate with them for that one but got an email today that it sold

22k White exterior Black interior L certified with TVD/Carbon
Old 05-28-19, 06:46 PM
vbb

Originally Posted by MintCaster
you bought the one from vegas?
do you mind me asking how much you payed
I was trying to negotiate with them for that one but got an email today that it sold

22k White exterior Black interior L certified with TVD/Carbon
No, mine was on the East Coast, and non-TVD.
Old 05-28-19, 08:25 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome back, I also see your in VA, I’m in MD myself. Not sure how many of us there are out here but nice to know there’ll be another F. Once you get pics of the F up throw up a picture of the the P car. I’ve never been entirely huge on Porsche cars, they’re very nice but feel like I would get bored after a little while of owning one if I weren’t tracking it regularly.
Old 06-22-19, 12:29 PM
vbb

A little belated, but here are a few pics that I took.

The following 3 users liked this post by vbb:
Colt45ccg (07-06-19), MrJeager (04-29-20), signdetres (06-23-19)
Old 06-22-19, 02:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Very nice pictures. Hope you are enjoying it.
Old 06-23-19, 08:51 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Always thinking about buying a Porsche... but somehow, always return to reliability and upscale finish of a Lexus.
Always nice to read abut Porsche users going back to Lexus, since it makes me feel like I made the right choice. Well.. most of the time, I still have a heavy heart when I see a nice Cayman or 911, then think about how fun it would be to have one.
Old 06-23-19, 10:34 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Welcome back!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-23-19, 04:10 PM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, great pictures. Thanks for sharing!!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Smorsch... I'm coming back home (sort of)