Choices, Choices.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 05:43 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Choices, Choices.....

Greetings Folks-

Spent the last two weeks test driving every car within this category. This included, Shelby GT350, Hellcat, Corvette (not Z06), and BMW M4.
Fortunately, we used our local Lexus Dealer the last two cars for my wife (GS & New RX350) and since I've become close with their GM, who's moved more numbers than Tax Season for me!

Directly after testing the Shelby I dropped in to see what sway he had with his GM Peer at that Ford Dealer. Within 30 mins he had me out testing a 2017 RCF - ALONE! (Oh. White w/ Red Pic)
Never in my life did I believe a Lexus would have such an unreal sounding exhaust and V8 to boot! Needless to say, I romped on it VERY hard in the 2 hours I had with it. Never got to the Shift/RPM beeps, but used ALL shift modes which was fun! Extremely impressed with the way it hunkers down turning into Sport+, and the steering feel change in each Mode. The reviews are spot on - this Interior is undeniably comfortable with all its gadgetry! Not entirely sure I liked the "Trackpad" vs the "****" Type Mouse which the RX350 has, nor the haptic feedback Temp Controls, or the lack of that "Map" button which brings it right up in a second. Minor issues I know, but as a Retired Marine I'm always thinking fastest way to Point B, and attention to detail.
The RC-F is a hell of a fast way to Point B, with a cabin is absolutely calm and luxurious cabin!

So get to the damn point Gunny. Flat out not a fan of either White Exterior or Black (Which was all they had in 2017s) Did find a Blue w/ Red FAR away they were going to get for me, until I started the thought process. Why not wait out for an 18 Model and get the colors I truly desire best? Correct me if I'm wrong - these wont be showing up for another 3-4 months due to the LC priority at the moment? For you guys that've been here awhile, will the 18s show a remarkable rise in MSRP over what the 17s were upon release? Nothing is changing this time-correct?

Never had a Red Leather Interior, but bet it looks sharp with the Blue model nstead of white? Otherwise I'd be buying it sight unseen. Could any Red Interior Owners chime in on this one please?
**Matter of fact - Does this Forum have Thread Stickies such as "Show Your Ultrasonic Blue" etc?

Trying NOT to be the guy that says "Oh, and what about..." too many times here. Those of you who've leased previous Years, was your predetermined Buyout accurate to Fair Market Value? Curious how many loved the car and bought their Lease out vs straight out Purchase? Was told that adding mods (Exhaust, CAI, etc) will maim a Lease Warranty? Obviously having it all removed upon trade in would be vital. Was even considering mounting an aftermarket set of Wheels & Tires-so I could simply stack OEMs away and leave that Wheel / Tire Coverage they get you on when you see the F&I crew! Could the same be done with a CAT Back I wonder? ---Ok folks. Sorry about my Novel here. Just getting back into the Forum after a hiatus.
Guess you can decide which choice I am seriously leaning toward over all those listed at top! Though something is to be said about the gutty rumble of a Shelby GT350 exhaust note!

Semper Fi,

Gunny

PS. Pics from my Tester & the Blue 17. Plus, Im sure you've all see this before regarding my last sentence above?

Attached Thumbnails Choices, Choices.....-20180315_180553.jpg   Choices, Choices.....-20180315_180825.jpg   Choices, Choices.....-20180315_182959.jpg   Choices, Choices.....-20180315_183154.jpg   Choices, Choices.....-shelby.jpg  

Old 03-20-18, 08:17 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Nice problems to have.
If you like red interiors, you will love the red in the RCF .It's different from the red on the regular RC coupe and the IS so don't let that be a reference point. In pictures shows up brighter red but in reality it's not that bright. Sounds like you're looking for the Superman combo with USB outside and red inside . At about 13 mins. What you're looking for.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 08:24 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

You might be interested in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...r-changes.html

I think the 18s have some substantial changes but not much in design or performance .some features like Lexus connect service for 10 years and larger nav screen (which I totally think they sandbag the previous models) and saftey.

Overall the RCF is the slowest of the pack that you listed .But still a very fast car .For me its too much for the street already and I daily drive mine. After 2 years of ownership I still find any reason to take it for a drive. Some things important for me other than bragging rights are some of those things you touched on the interior, design, build quality and craftsmanship. The car makes you feel special.
GunnyFitz (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 08:36 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

I like the red interior best of the three choices when getting my 2015 and love it in my white RCF.
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-20-18, 09:55 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Great to hear you loved the RCF. After 2 years of being on this board, I share your sentiments once I finally drove one. Noise and throttle response were two biggest factors for me. So much so, I ended up purchasing the one I test drove from a member on this board. I also played with the TVD and loved how in 'track' mode, the more you press the gas pedal, the more the nose turns in harder. At highway speeds, it is faster than I would ever need a car to be as it reaches 150 mph in only 24 seconds. Sound and experience matter to me more than outright speed.

You might want to consider Molten Pearl. It gets crazy amounts of attention. Only downside is, you cannot get red (I wanted red interior initially, but was willing to compromise once I saw the Molten Pearl in real life).

GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-20-18, 10:01 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

According to cars.com, there are currently twenty new 2018 model year RC-F's for sale.

(https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...stkTypId=28880)
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-20-18, 10:13 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting enough, the RCF is a hard car to fall in love with in the usual short test drives. It definitely has a factor that the more you drive it, the more things you'll find interesting and the more you'll like it. I came from a 2012 C63 and when I first test drove that car, I instantly fell in love with it and had it for near three years before someone hit me and totaled it. I have a close buddy that has a 2016 and I have a great amount of seat time in that car, so I know I'd love the car. But I find that the more I let someone drive my car, the more they fall in love with it.
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-20-18, 11:23 AM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gunny,
Can't share about the car itself, because I still have not driven one because of the fuel cap recall.
I had a lease 18 RC 300 for four days that we lost in a home fire. When I went to replace the 300 there were no 300 or 350's in stock anywhere in NJ.
I wanted to purchase a RC before of the end of February because of the $ 3500 off lease money. When I was in a dealer showroom they had a new 17 Black on Black RC F on special for $59990 on the floor. MSRP $76,000.
The best they would do was $ 59200. I did some research and found out that other dealers where selling 17 RC Fs for $58000. I ended up getting a 17 Liquid Platinum / Red interior for $58000 from my previous dealer.
The price of the RCF was about $5K more than my RC 300. That's about 23% percent off MSRP. Too good of a deal to pass up. Going to have to buy it instead of leasing because of the money factor between a 17 compare to an 18 model.
Lexus dealers by me will not let you test drive an RC F or buy one because of the safety recall. I did put down a $500 deposit on it about 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for the fuel pumps to be replace.
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-20-18, 02:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice 1st world problems to have, right?.

I have a 2015 RCF ultra white with black real leather interior.

The only mods I have done is :

1. 3M Crystalline tint ALL AROUND.
2. Real carbon fiber pices for the side mirrors and the shark fin atenna.
3. Borla exhaust system, full cat back.

You gotta get at leatla Borla exhaust system or better.

The Borla exhaust system really brings out the RUMBLE in the V8!!! I think Borla exhaust system is the most reasonable prices exhaust system for it's price.

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Greetings Folks-

Spent the last two weeks test driving every car within this category. This included, Shelby GT350, Hellcat, Corvette (not Z06), and BMW M4.
Fortunately, we used our local Lexus Dealer the last two cars for my wife (GS & New RX350) and since I've become close with their GM, who's moved more numbers than Tax Season for me!

Directly after testing the Shelby I dropped in to see what sway he had with his GM Peer at that Ford Dealer. Within 30 mins he had me out testing a 2017 RCF - ALONE! (Oh. White w/ Red Pic)
Never in my life did I believe a Lexus would have such an unreal sounding exhaust and V8 to boot! Needless to say, I romped on it VERY hard in the 2 hours I had with it. Never got to the Shift/RPM beeps, but used ALL shift modes which was fun! Extremely impressed with the way it hunkers down turning into Sport+, and the steering feel change in each Mode. The reviews are spot on - this Interior is undeniably comfortable with all its gadgetry! Not entirely sure I liked the "Trackpad" vs the "****" Type Mouse which the RX350 has, nor the haptic feedback Temp Controls, or the lack of that "Map" button which brings it right up in a second. Minor issues I know, but as a Retired Marine I'm always thinking fastest way to Point B, and attention to detail.
The RC-F is a hell of a fast way to Point B, with a cabin is absolutely calm and luxurious cabin!

So get to the damn point Gunny. Flat out not a fan of either White Exterior or Black (Which was all they had in 2017s) Did find a Blue w/ Red FAR away they were going to get for me, until I started the thought process. Why not wait out for an 18 Model and get the colors I truly desire best? Correct me if I'm wrong - these wont be showing up for another 3-4 months due to the LC priority at the moment? For you guys that've been here awhile, will the 18s show a remarkable rise in MSRP over what the 17s were upon release? Nothing is changing this time-correct?

Never had a Red Leather Interior, but bet it looks sharp with the Blue model nstead of white? Otherwise I'd be buying it sight unseen. Could any Red Interior Owners chime in on this one please?
**Matter of fact - Does this Forum have Thread Stickies such as "Show Your Ultrasonic Blue" etc?

Trying NOT to be the guy that says "Oh, and what about..." too many times here. Those of you who've leased previous Years, was your predetermined Buyout accurate to Fair Market Value? Curious how many loved the car and bought their Lease out vs straight out Purchase? Was told that adding mods (Exhaust, CAI, etc) will maim a Lease Warranty? Obviously having it all removed upon trade in would be vital. Was even considering mounting an aftermarket set of Wheels & Tires-so I could simply stack OEMs away and leave that Wheel / Tire Coverage they get you on when you see the F&I crew! Could the same be done with a CAT Back I wonder? ---Ok folks. Sorry about my Novel here. Just getting back into the Forum after a hiatus.
Guess you can decide which choice I am seriously leaning toward over all those listed at top! Though something is to be said about the gutty rumble of a Shelby GT350 exhaust note!

Semper Fi,

Gunny

PS. Pics from my Tester & the Blue 17. Plus, Im sure you've all see this before regarding my last sentence above?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1sLiyPR9EQ
Old 03-20-18, 02:42 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Great to hear you loved the RCF. After 2 years of being on this board, I share your sentiments once I finally drove one. Noise and throttle response were two biggest factors for me. So much so, I ended up purchasing the one I test drove from a member on this board. I also played with the TVD and loved how in 'track' mode, the more you press the gas pedal, the more the nose turns in harder. At highway speeds, it is faster than I would ever need a car to be as it reaches 150 mph in only 24 seconds. Sound and experience matter to me more than outright speed.

You might want to consider Molten Pearl. It gets crazy amounts of attention. Only downside is, you cannot get red (I wanted red interior initially, but was willing to compromise once I saw the Molten Pearl in real life).
05Rolla, I’ll be looking to pull the trigger on an RCF early September. Just curious since you have molten pearl, do you have stratus gray seats? If so are they easy to keep clean, does the dye from your clothes rub off onto your seats? I’d like to see if this is the case for owners with circuit red seats as well?
Old 03-20-18, 02:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 2UR

05Rolla, I’ll be looking to pull the trigger on an RCF early September. Just curious since you have molten pearl, do you have stratus gray seats? If so are they easy to keep clean, does the dye from your clothes rub off onto your seats? I’d like to see if this is the case for owners with circuit red seats as well?
you won't find the combo at all. I'm in the process of trying to get the grey seats and they are about 6k each but im getting a dealership discount to about 4k each. I think it would pop nicely. i love the red interior but it doesnt work on orange at all. the crazy part is ive seen a few orange ones with the red interior . just bad....
Old 03-20-18, 03:28 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

This is one of the cars I was looking into, these are stratus grey right? Is this color combo rare? Definitely couldn’t imagine orang/red working together. Gunny, sry didn’t meant to threadjack.

Last edited by 2UR; 03-20-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 03:41 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by 2UR

2UR, like ISFPOWER said, Molten Pearl interior here north of the border comes only with black interior option. Not sure if US being 10 times bigger market, has other interior options with Molten Pearl. Mine is a Molten Pearl/black interior with Carbon/TVD + all options.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-20-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-20-18, 10:50 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 2UR
This is one of the cars I was looking into, these are stratus grey right? Is this color combo rare? Definitely couldn’t imagine orang/red working together. Gunny, sry didn’t meant to threadjack.
Yes, those are the stratus grey. I've had that interior for my last several, never had an issue with keeping them clean, but I'm a little careful knowing they're so light.

For the OP, you really may want to consider a 2018 if you can get one, the new nav/infotainment is more than just a larger screen, its a whole new system with a better touchpad. Also, I'm using the "custom" setting on the selection **** for Sport S drivetrain and stiff on the suspension often.

I posted some images of the new navi in another thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...l#post10123428
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-21-18, 03:35 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Talking Could This Be For Real?

Originally Posted by njsteve
Gunny,
Can't share about the car itself, because I still have not driven one because of the fuel cap recall.
I had a lease 18 RC 300 for four days that we lost in a home fire. When I went to replace the 300 there were no 300 or 350's in stock anywhere in NJ.
I wanted to purchase a RC before of the end of February because of the $ 3500 off lease money. When I was in a dealer showroom they had a new 17 Black on Black RC F on special for $59990 on the floor. MSRP $76,000.
The best they would do was $ 59200. I did some research and found out that other dealers where selling 17 RC Fs for $58000. I ended up getting a 17 Liquid Platinum / Red interior for $58000 from my previous dealer.
The price of the RCF was about $5K more than my RC 300. That's about 23% percent off MSRP. Too good of a deal to pass up. Going to have to buy it instead of leasing because of the money factor between a 17 compare to an 18 model.
Lexus dealers by me will not let you test drive an RC F or buy one because of the safety recall. I did put down a $500 deposit on it about 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for the fuel pumps to be replace.
Steve-

This is total fate brother!
There were two RCFs at my fingertips and after reading your story my jaw just dropped. Did you just grab the Liquid Platinum one from Prestige in NJ?
My Dealer made a frantic call up there when I pulled up that one and was going to DX a car up on flatbed to pick it up. By the time they spoke to the GM they were told that though it was still on their website the car had just been sold. Was that you perhaps buddy? Thinking my Dealer was trying to get me to buy their White one, I even called there myself and ended up speaking to a Sales Rep named Bill Lamb. He pulled it up, saw it on site, took about 10 mins on hold and came back confirming its sale. If so this has to be fate right here man!!

The other one, which I still may end up grabbing if my Tax Return hits soon, I will keep from saying. Not to **** block anyone here, but just to try and save a dream for me! - lol
Reading your post you said "Going to have to buy it instead of leasing because of the money factor between a 17 compare to an 18 model." - (How do we make letters in BOLD here?)
What sort of numbers are you seeing different? Did you determine this by doing "A Build" of the same car and saw a massive price difference? I was going to go the Lease route myself too.
If I go the Buy Route- I think I'll be ordering a CAT Back exhaust right away. Even if I Lease- I'll be ordering a set of aftermarket wheels and tires-to save the Stock ones from wear.
Yes, kick mean the gonads- I became a infamous "Payment Shopper" due to my wife's insistence on having the entire 2nd floor of house carpeted! Sales folk love Payment Shoppers!

Again, the Dealer I use down the Take from you a few hours stated they were going to be getting plenty of RCFs for 2018. Am I hearing there will be a limited run? Also, I assume they fixed this Fuel Cap Recall on them since I drove the Black on Black first, and then took home the White on Red overnight! Maybe I just have a cool *** Dealer who's GM does my numbers personally.
**Question - do you get used to that feeling of having the gas pedal only go down a tiny way before hitting the bottom? Thats one thing I found odd. As I said above, that Track Pad thing must take getting used to as well, along w the "Haptic Feedback Temp Arrows"- one cant be happy about EVERYTHING inside a car I guess.

Sorry. I could literally write all day asking questions which Im sure can be found within here. Since you guys have been so kind and helpful to me, I figured I'd put a face to the name. This was my "Former Passion" for decades which I just physically cannot enjoy anymore. I sold these machines, raced them, and built so many up as true show bikes! This was my last and just sold.

http://blog.brocksperformance.com/re...olls-with-bst/

Semper Fi my new Friends!

Guns

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 03-21-18 at 06:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Choices, Choices.....