RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Choices, Choices.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 04:30 AM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gunny,
Yes that's the one I bought the Liquid Platinum from Prestige. The lease numbers Lexus is advertising is for 2018 models. The money factor is around 1%.
For older models the lease factor is around 6%.
They are not going to give you both a huge discount and a low rate on a lease. That's why I ended of purchasing instead of leasing.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-21-18)
Old 03-21-18, 06:01 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Gray seats

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
you won't find the combo at all. I'm in the process of trying to get the grey seats and they are about 6k each but im getting a dealership discount to about 4k each. I think it would pop nicely. i love the red interior but it doesnt work on orange at all. the crazy part is ive seen a few orange ones with the red interior . just bad....
In my quest, I found a nice USB one with Gray Seats up here in Metro DC area? Not sure how far south ya are buddy?

https://www.lenstolerlexus.com/Vehic...-MD/3161083443

Gunny
Old 03-21-18, 06:07 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Unreal steve !!

Originally Posted by njsteve
Gunny,
Yes that's the one I bought the Liquid Platinum from Prestige. The lease numbers Lexus is advertising is for 2018 models. The money factor is around 1%.
For older models the lease factor is around 6%.
They are not going to give you both a huge discount and a low rate on a lease. That's why I ended of purchasing instead of leasing.
What an unbelievable story right there!!

When it comes to numbers I need to try n figure out what you wrote. Have a TBI after 3 IED Blasts in Iraq so have some difficulty processing stuff like that.
Regardless, Im blessed with a very high volume, phenomenal Dealership who will do whatever it takes to get me into one! (Navy Fed has hands down best rates) Without asking you personal questions about how much you put down and all. I will be sitting at the table doing numbers at some point myself. So envious, jealous, but proud of you right now!
Old 03-21-18, 04:54 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
What an unbelievable story right there!!

When it comes to numbers I need to try n figure out what you wrote. Have a TBI after 3 IED Blasts in Iraq so have some difficulty processing stuff like that.
Regardless, Im blessed with a very high volume, phenomenal Dealership who will do whatever it takes to get me into one! (Navy Fed has hands down best rates) Without asking you personal questions about how much you put down and all. I will be sitting at the table doing numbers at some point myself. So envious, jealous, but proud of you right now!

Gunny,

Leases have 3 things that affect the payment amount, the residual % (how much the car is supposed to be worth at the end of the lease), the lease factor (basically interest rate for leases), and the sale price (always negotiate the best price whether you lease or buy). Since a 2018 will be worth more than a 2017 in 3 (or 4 or 5) years, the residual % will be higher for a 2018 than a 2017 right now. Lexus also usually offers a lower lease factor for new models vs. last years models. This means lease payments for 2018s (if you negotiate the same sale price) are lower than 2017s. Lexus might be offering a better cash incentive to get rid of 2017s, making those better deals when you buy them.

Hope that helps.

Here's some docs that show the differences between the different years to help you decide if any of the changes matter. I got them on this board, sorry I can't give credit to the forum members who posted them, can't remember which thread. The product info sheets show changes in bold.

From my perspective:

2017 - Biggest change is the variable suspension, makes the car more comfortable in general driving.
2018 - Biggest change is with the Infotainment/Nav. According to the documents I posted, there's also been some electronic updates, I have noticed that the collision avoidance system triggers a bit more often, but is less "alarming" and more of a warning, the older version waited longer and had a louder warning and hit the brakes quicker.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2016 Lexus RCF Product Info.pdf (133.1 KB, 65 views)
2017 Lexus RCF Product Info.pdf (132.9 KB, 47 views)
2018 Lexus RCF Product Info.pdf (484.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by ct6978; 03-21-18 at 05:41 PM.
GunnyFitz (03-22-18)
Old 03-21-18, 06:06 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a white/red RCF and had the chance to get a blue/red when I got my car. I opted for the white 'cause I've always liked the white since I had my IS's and it does look amazing with the red interior contrast and one other touch that got me to go with the white was the orange calipers. The blue one had orange calipers too and even though I wanted the blue a lot, the one thing that got me away from it was also those orange calipers. I thought the blue, red and orange combo was a tad too much but with the white, red and orange it was perfect.... and then I end up getting my GS350 with the blue/red which is pretty rare with just the blue (even more with the red interior) vs the blue in the RC-F so that worked out.... I would go with the 2018 just because of the bigger nav screen but I've heard that the new ECU on the 18s can't be tuned now? Anybody can chip in if this is true?
GunnyFitz (03-22-18)
Old 03-22-18, 01:55 AM
Holma
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2018. Got it first week in February. Love the car. Its white with black interior. But wrapt in Hexis setin Chrome....
Old 03-23-18, 04:57 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question Build Your Own..........

Admit is folks, we have all played with the awesome "Build Your Lexus RC-F" at some point right?
While soaking up all I can here on this site, and building my Dream Car on the Lexus site, I would like some feedback from you if possible.

Is it truly worth getting the "PERFORMANCE PACKAGE" with the options below?

-TORQUE VECTORING DIFFERENTIAL
-CARBON FIBER REAR WING
-CARBON FIBER ROOF

Obviously, the CF items are more aesthetic, I am extremely curious about what the TVD does for the driver. Yes Ive read about it, but am reaching out to Real People who've used this in their vehicles to explain to me what it does for them? And for those who went the "Other Route" - I honestly love the Moonroof myself, which one cannot obtain w the Performance Package --Do those who did NOT get the TVD wish they had? (For the life of me- I don't recall whether the two RCFs I test drove had it or not? When I hammered on the pedal (which still feels odd because it only goes down like an inch) I did feel the "Traction Control" feeling kick in when I broke the back end loose. (This is very familiar to my Ducati Panigale where one can adjust TC Levels too)

Though 3 years old- this Article was posted within our halls:
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/t...-differential/

As I sit here waiting for a substantial Tax Return, and another huge retro VA Disability payout- All I do is read, read, read and play with builds. Every day I pull it up and that 2017 I first mentioned is still out there (Crazy how this can be!) However, after reading the one thread here noting the differences on the 2018. I truly wonder if I should wait for them. Applause to you guys who've already got their hands on them!

**NOTE: Just found this article before I hit send on this post. I know now that I did NOT test drive one w TVD because it states within this Motor Trend Article that it has a "Slalom Mode." Both test rides were done with moonroof models, and the Sport+ feature. Therefore, I now hand this over to the audience for their feedback - Is it truly worth the extra $5500 ??

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/t...c-f-explained/

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 03-23-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 03-23-18, 06:33 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Being an owner of a carbon fiber/TVD package RCF, I would say it is totally worth it. I was not particular about it, but the wheels I wanted (20 spoke hand polished) are only available in Canada with the Carbon/TVD package so I decided to look for Carbon/TVD RCF and pay the extra few grand in the used market. If you drive your RCF on the track or drive hard through windy roads then it totally is worth it. If you don't like going past around 7/10s of the limit, I doubt you will notice a significant difference. In slalom mode, in slow turns you can feel the front end very quick to respond.

If you did not play with the settings then you were in 'standard' mode. You have to push the button in the center console and it goes to 'slalom' mode, which makes the front end hyper responsive. Then you push the button once more and it goes to 'track' mode where it even allows extra rotation through the turn and making the car slide the rear end out easily. Powerslide becomes very easy in track mode.

If you enjoy pushing your RCF through tight turns at fast speeds then the TVD is a blessing as it kills nearly all of the understeer by providing rotation of the rear end. The only caveat is, you need to keep adding throttle through the turn and TVD will make the car turn tighter and harder. You really feel the car rotating more and more as you apply more throttle. It is a weird feeling, but I love it. If you let off the throttle under hard cornering, TVD will not vector the torque to the outer wheel.

As you read in that article, C&D lapped both of the cars and TVD was about 5/10th of second quicker. It also was not a full carbon fiber model, but a TVD with moon roof.

The Carbon fiber is merely there to lower the center of gravity by about 0.5 inch and also negate the additional weight of the TVD. As TVD weighs more than LSD, the carbon fiber roof is lighter than the steel roof (and with moon roof).

It comes down to personal preference. TVD gives RCF higher handling limits, stiffer CF roof and lower CoG while the LSD RCF will give you ability to get a moon roof and will save you a few grand.

Admit is folks, we have all played with the awesome "Build Your Lexus RC-F" at some point right?
While soaking up all I can here on this site, and building my Dream Car on the Lexus site, I would like some feedback from you if possible.

Is it truly worth getting the "PERFORMANCE PACKAGE" with the options below?

-TORQUE VECTORING DIFFERENTIAL
-CARBON FIBER REAR WING
-CARBON FIBER ROOF

Obviously, the CF items are more aesthetic, I am extremely curious about what the TVD does for the driver. Yes Ive read about it, but am reaching out to Real People who've used this in their vehicles to explain to me what it does for them? And for those who went the "Other Route" - I honestly love the Moonroof myself, which one cannot obtain w the Performance Package --Do those who did NOT get the TVD wish they had? (For the life of me- I don't recall whether the two RCFs I test drove had it or not? When I hammered on the pedal (which still feels odd because it only goes down like an inch) I did feel the "Traction Control" feeling kick in when I broke the back end loose. (This is very familiar to my Ducati Panigale where one can adjust TC Levels too)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-23-18 at 09:48 AM.
GunnyFitz (03-23-18)
Old 03-23-18, 10:50 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

VERY, VERY Educational Rolla!
Thank you for explaining this for me. Not sure how much track time I'll be doing despite a few good spots around the Mid Atlantic Region where I used to race bikes. Im betting the TVD Models for 2018 will be much harder to find than the rest of the crop. Just a guess.
05RollaXRS (03-23-18)
Old 03-23-18, 10:56 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

VERY, VERY Educational Rolla!
Thank you for explaining this for me. Not sure how much track time I'll be doing despite a few good spots around the Mid Atlantic Region where I used to race bikes. Im betting the TVD Models for 2018 will be much harder to find than the rest of the crop. Just a guess.
Glad you find it useful.

Yeah, it was the same in my region for '15s where the carbon package/TVD combo is very hard to find. Then, finding it in the color combo I wanted, was even more difficult. I was lucky to find a low mileage carbon package/TVD in a color I liked. Though, I wanted red seats, but it was not a big deal considering I got a 8,000 miles RCF with everything else I wanted.
GunnyFitz (03-24-18)
Old 03-24-18, 07:07 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Will this car be your daily driver? If so, it would make a great one.

However, if this is going to be a weekend only, nice weather car - I would go with something lighter, better handling and more of a true sports car.
Old 03-24-18, 07:49 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool Negative

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Will this car be your daily driver? If so, it would make a great one.

However, if this is going to be a weekend only, nice weather car - I would go with something lighter, better handling and more of a true sports car.
Not to be considered a Daily Driver.
Have a totally tricked out 05 Dodge Ram 2500 (Diesel) I bought brand new the week I returned from Iraq in 05. Promised myself if I lived thru that **** I'd get my Dream Tuck and have built it into something w every gadget imaginable! Still love to drive it too.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "Go for something lighter n better handling , true sports car?" If ya look at what my initial post you'll see I tried just about everything else out there in this category. The Shelby GT350 was almost a done deal until I tested the RCF for a day. The interior alone was night n day. Sure there are many cars which could go faster, but at my age I'm done w that. (And despite their draw, I'm NOT a Vette or Porsche guy!) So I fall back on what I know best after having a GS350 for 11 yrs before stepping up to RX350 (Both wifes tjough)

My thing is this. When I buy something I'm usually going to dump money into set of wheels / tires , CAI, etc to make it more "personal" ya know? Already been looking at wheel combos and the different CAT Back exhausts for the RCF.
Though this issue admittedly keeps me awake at night, I can only wait to see what different 2018 models my dealer obtains in this line. If something else pops up along the way, then I'll do what every prepared Marine does = Adapt!
Thx for your candor though my friend. 🇺🇸
Holma (03-24-18)
Old 03-24-18, 08:43 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I really like the Voodoo motor as well. The engine is probably more exciting than my RCF V8 as it revs to 8200 rpm, but when it comes to exterior/interior/build quality/amenities, no comparison as RCF is better balanced.

You can do race PPE headers/exhaust/RR tune and it will give you some very good gains. Of course, not nearly as much as turbo cars, but still around 45 - 50 whp. Also, you will get the crazy high-revving V8 sound with it that you cannot with turbo cars.

Not to be considered a Daily Driver.
Have a totally tricked out 05 Dodge Ram 2500 (Diesel) I bought brand new the week I returned from Iraq in 05. Promised myself if I lived thru that **** I'd get my Dream Tuck and have built it into something w every gadget imaginable! Still love to drive it too.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "Go for something lighter n better handling , true sports car?" If ya look at what my initial post you'll see I tried just about everything else out there in this category. The Shelby GT350 was almost a done deal until I tested the RCF for a day. The interior alone was night n day. Sure there are many cars which could go faster, but at my age I'm done w that. (And despite their draw, I'm NOT a Vette or Porsche guy!) So I fall back on what I know best after having a GS350 for 11 yrs before stepping up to RX350 (Both wifes tjough)

My thing is this. When I buy something I'm usually going to dump money into set of wheels / tires , CAI, etc to make it more "personal" ya know? Already been looking at wheel combos and the different CAT Back exhausts for the RCF.
Though this issue admittedly keeps me awake at night, I can only wait to see what different 2018 models my dealer obtains in this line. If something else pops up along the way, then I'll do what every prepared Marine does = Adapt!
Thx for your candor though my friend. ����

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-24-18 at 12:33 PM.
GunnyFitz (03-26-18)
Old 03-27-18, 02:38 PM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go Gunny

Remove by request

Last edited by njsteve; 03-28-18 at 02:45 PM.
GunnyFitz (03-28-18)
Old 03-30-18, 11:34 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up One Solid Dude !!

Originally Posted by njsteve
Here you go Gunny
Spent the last 2-3 days communicating with NJ Steve, who has been more help to me than ANY Lexus Rep ever has!
Anyone who's read thru this thread knows that the exact RCF he purchased was on my list, and fortunately for BOTH of us, he swooped it up before my Dealer could DX it down to me.

I've literally spent the last 2 days deliberating on the last 2017 Standing - in my desired color & options that is.
Without Steve's help I never would've made it this far, and the ball is again back in my hands!

As we spoke about together, the question remains. Does one pull the trigger on "buying" a 17- or wait it out a few months and see what sort of Lease Deal is available on an 18.

And here I sit, dwelling..........

Quick Reply: Choices, Choices.....