RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Front license plate

Old 12-01-15, 11:37 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Front license plate

So I've come to find out, from the mouth of the cop to my colleague that he sits on the road and pulls people over for tint and no front license plate. It bothers him, so that's all he does all day.

The tint we can kind of get around, if you are fast enough. But the license plate, oh man I just can't handle a front license plate. I've never had one on any of my cars, but now with the RC F it would kill it. If I totally had to put one on, I would go for that European style plate. Not sure if cops would consider that okay or not.

Does anybody actually have their front license plate on?

Cheers,
Old 12-02-15, 04:52 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not had a front plate on my cars for many years now. I will accept taking the chance vs. ruining the beautiful nose and grille of the RCF.
Old 12-02-15, 05:30 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't have a front plate on my S5 for 18 months and haven't put one on the RCF since I bought it a month ago...no problems yet in Texas
Old 12-02-15, 06:26 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
So I've come to find out, from the mouth of the cop to my colleague that he sits on the road and pulls people over for tint and no front license plate. It bothers him, so that's all he does all day.

The tint we can kind of get around, if you are fast enough. But the license plate, oh man I just can't handle a front license plate. I've never had one on any of my cars, but now with the RC F it would kill it. If I totally had to put one on, I would go for that European style plate. Not sure if cops would consider that okay or not.

Cheers,
Have not had a front license plate mounted since 1969 (first Olds 442). When I get a new car, I just don't put the plates on, they're in the trunk. I also keep the dealer front windshield sticker in place. When I see a sheriff or CHP, I roll down the tinted front side window.
Old 12-02-15, 10:35 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Cheers,
Man, that SUX Zippy The few i've seen on the RCF Stick out like a SORE Thumb I guess i've been lucky cause we don't have to have one. Some Cops just like to use the Badge just to do lil' things like this Instead of out there doing things that would help the community, like trying to get some of the drug dealers & such off the streets. Believe me, i'm 100% behind the Police, but there's always those few that have to prove their Manhood.
Old 12-02-15, 10:45 AM
ThaDRD
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go without. From my research, for California, it's close to a $200 ticket. If you don't want to pay that, you can reduce it to $15 by attaching the plate and going down to a police station and having it signed off.

Some Tesla guys who have received tickets just zip tie the plate, go down to the station, get it signed off, and then promptly remove the plate again.
Old 12-02-15, 12:22 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ThaDRD
I'd go without. From my research, for California, it's close to a $200 ticket. If you don't want to pay that, you can reduce it to $15 by attaching the plate and going down to a police station and having it signed off.

Some Tesla guys who have received tickets just zip tie the plate, go down to the station, get it signed off, and then promptly remove the plate again.
I live in New York, and it can definitely be a hassle with no tags! I usually run tags on all my cars, including my IS-F that I just got rid of. I went to pickup my new RC-F the other day and thank god the dealership was so busy (last day of the month) they forgot to mount the bracket and plate. I saw it and said man screw it, it looks so good without one, I temporarily zip tied it and drove home.
Old 12-02-15, 08:07 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No front plates or inspection/registration stickers on my windshield. I have 70% 3M Crystalline on my windshield so not going to risk messing it up.
Old 12-02-15, 08:53 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by equalme
No front plates or inspection/registration stickers on my windshield.
I've been on that camp for over 3 decades here in TX, and with ALL my household vehicles. And never an issue, even when pulled over. Hope it stays that way.
Old 12-02-15, 09:54 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

None of my cars have front plates. Most police officers here always tell me they would put one on the front either!
Old 12-04-15, 09:50 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

New York sucks but I rather pay the fine than to put it on. Just kills the front end look

I'll just slap it on with the double magnet when i park
Old 12-05-15, 06:51 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cheers,
What's a European style plate? A fake one or something that your state would actually accept. But, to answer your question, yes I have a front plate but chose to attach it to a mount that screws into the tow-bolt hole. It's offset to the side, pretty ugly IMHO, but better than dead center in the grille.
Old 12-05-15, 07:26 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=jkeifer3;9276552]What's a European style plate? A fake one or something that your state would actually accept. But, to answer your question, yes I have a front plate but chose to attach it to a mount that screws into the tow-bolt hole. It's offset to the side, pretty ugly IMHO, but better than dead center in the grille.[/QUOTE

jk, i'm not sure but isn't the Euro Style plate the one that's about half the width of ours, it looks long & skinny, though i could be Wrong
Old 12-06-15, 02:01 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=johnnyreb;9277165]
Originally Posted by jkeifer3
What's a European style plate? A fake one or something that your state would actually accept. But, to answer your question, yes I have a front plate but chose to attach it to a mount that screws into the tow-bolt hole. It's offset to the side, pretty ugly IMHO, but better than dead center in the grille.[/QUOTE

jk, i'm not sure but isn't the Euro Style plate the one that's about half the width of ours, it looks long & skinny, though i could be Wrong
That's what I was thinking but I'm pretty sure no state (in the US at least) would consider it acceptable.
Old 12-06-15, 04:31 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jkeifer3;9277719]
Originally Posted by johnnyreb

That's what I was thinking but I'm pretty sure no state (in the US at least) would consider it acceptable.
I've gotten pulled over twice for no front plate IS350, two tickets $140 fix it ticket, same cop, within 6 months. Looks like I have to put it on. Ridiculous, ruins whole look of front end. Oh well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front license plate