Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Deep tone exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 12:17 AM
RokkinYuki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deep tone exhaust?

This has probably been asked multiple times, but I could not find an answer after searching the forums.

Before this car, I had a 2004 g35 with a catback and it sounded really good and deep. I’m looking for an axel-back or exhaust that has a very deep tone, with little to no rasp (don’t want it to sound ricey).
I was thinking about apexi because I love the way it looks, but the axel sounds very underwhelming... and the full exhaust gets raspy. I was also thinking about probably a magnaflow or the ark. Any ideas please?

something similar to this:
I know this is a 2010 model, but this is the sound I’m somewhat looking for.
Old 01-23-19, 05:52 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

What car do you have?

If have a 300/350 and want a deep tone go Apexi. A buddy of mine has Apexi full cat-back on his 350 and it sounds amazing.
Old 01-23-19, 10:04 AM
RokkinYuki
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JNP1227
What car do you have?

If have a 300/350 and want a deep tone go Apexi. A buddy of mine has Apexi full cat-back on his 350 and it sounds amazing.

i have a ‘15 is350 with a ‘17 diffuser so the apexi is still an option. Does it sound too raspy when your buddy punches it?
Old 01-23-19, 11:17 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 115 Posts

Not raspy at all IMO.
Old 01-23-19, 11:28 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Tanabe Medalion is the best deep growl I’ve heard. The axleback made my car sound super nice and deep.
Old 01-24-19, 09:52 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Tanabe or Apexi!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 01-28-19, 11:34 AM
Daddysblac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tone exhaust

Originally Posted by RokkinYuki
This has probably been asked multiple times, but I could not find an answer after searching the forums.

Before this car, I had a 2004 g35 with a catback and it sounded really good and deep. I’m looking for an axel-back or exhaust that has a very deep tone, with little to no rasp (don’t want it to sound ricey).
I was thinking about apexi because I love the way it looks, but the axel sounds very underwhelming... and the full exhaust gets raspy. I was also thinking about probably a magnaflow or the ark. Any ideas please?

something similar to this:
https://youtu.be/tOiyaGQwlvc
I know this is a 2010 model, but this is the sound I’m somewhat looking for.
Sounds good 👍
Old 02-18-19, 01:40 PM
Magnaflow
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Yuki, based on the sound you are looking for, our Street axleback system may fit the ticket. Our signature sound that we have become known for across all platforms has always been very deep and refined. Like all of our exhaust systems, it is made 100% in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty against defects of any kind. If there are any other questions that we can answer about it, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-990-0905!
Old 02-18-19, 06:48 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

i have an apexi catback and regardless of what anyone else says it’ll be the deepest exhaust for the IS
Old 02-18-19, 10:34 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmull3r
i have an apexi catback and regardless of what anyone else says it’ll be the deepest exhaust for the IS
Team Tanabe! Lol
Old 02-19-19, 07:19 PM
bumbletuna
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

Team Tanabe! Lol
I've seen your other posts and I was convinced enough to finally join team Tanabe.

I had the F Sport exhaust previously and I wanted something louder and deeper. Just installed the tanabe today and it sounds much quieter than the F Sport. Hopefully after I break it in for a few weeks it will get louder.

FYI i am also running PPE Headers and Apexi midpipe
Old 02-20-19, 07:42 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bumbletuna
I've seen your other posts and I was convinced enough to finally join team Tanabe.

I had the F Sport exhaust previously and I wanted something louder and deeper. Just installed the tanabe today and it sounds much quieter than the F Sport. Hopefully after I break it in for a few weeks it will get louder.

FYI i am also running PPE Headers and Apexi midpipe
Hmm idk about the sound with modified midpipe and headers, but the difference between the stock axleback and the Tanabe axleback was night and day. The drone was there during the break in period but then went away after. It’s perfect to me.
Old 02-20-19, 07:52 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I really wish I could better find sound clips on Youtube of each type of exhaust. It would really make deciding a lot easier. I know a lot of users have posted their sound clips on youtube but they don't come up when you search on youtube because they either didn't tag it with the right words, or because their videos have so few views. I wish there was a sticky thread for posting sound clips.
The following users liked this post:
Baja (11-07-19)
Old 02-20-19, 08:22 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

It really is perplexing at times, but I think just shows how subjective sound can be. Some have a full Invidia or JoeZ system and say it's too quiet, others take it off after one day and sell it because it's too loud. I figured the F-Sport was the quietest, but now it's louder than Tanabe? I suspected the Tsudo axle-back was pretty quiet and that was confirmed by another here, as he said it wasn't much different from stock. One clip that did help was a guy who removed his secondary cats -- that definitely made both a volume and depth difference to the sound, but still seemed to keep it refined:

Also about the cheapest/easiest way to go, aside from a basic muffler delete. Now that my cat-back's on, I'm going to try to find a good mic to get recordings. Cell phone cameras just can't give much of a sense of it.

In the meantime, the big thing is do NOT get rid of the resonators. They are the most important determinant/shaper of the tone and the level of rasp you'll get, whereas mufflers are primarily concerned with volume. Put in something like Vibrant Ultra Quiets and they will effectively cancel out rasp completely.
Old 03-01-19, 09:43 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Don't you feel that hearing the exhaust while the car is stationary...just doesn't give quite enough. There's more to it while the car is actually being driven with air working through the system. Sounds better and more like what can be expected.

My GoPro has decent quality video/audio and I mounted it on the license plate frame while I went for a drive. In this position it reduced the sound of air and other road noises, but picked up on the exhaust sound great.
I'll have to find it and figure out how to post.

Quick Reply: Deep tone exhaust?