Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Black Sheep - European IS220d Performance Mods Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-16, 05:00 PM
DmcL325i
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Black Sheep - European IS220d Performance Mods Thread

didn't notice any love for the diesel in here and I have seen there are one or two others here with a 220d so I figured someone may get a thread started for the turf burning outcast of the family.

mods that I know work and can recommend currently (because I have them on my own):

gutting your diesel particulate filter and fitting a DPF emulator. seemed to free up a bit of power and added bonus of never seeing the DPF light come on in the dash ever again or loss of performance when the ECU decides to run rich to burn all the accumulated crap out of it every so often.

a decent tuning box or a remap. needs no explanation.. more power, better MPG, what more can you say here. seems like only recently have any remapping businesses begun to be able to properly map these ECU's. I would like to map mine but currently running a DTE systems tuning box I snagged off ebay for a fraction of the new price. made a healthy difference in power/torque/mpg.

intake and exhaust improvements. no explanation needed here, same principle as any other petrol or diesel engine.

porting the turbo. without full mapping potential turbo swaps might not be do-able, that may also mean no hybrids either as I'm guessing the ECU will **** a brick if it detects boost levels too far out of what it expects to see. also to further complicate matters the 220d was blessed with a variable geometry turbo so from what I gather trying to sneakily add a few psi via a manual boost controller is a no go. the only thing I can see us being able to do and probably get away with is porting/port matching and generally smoothing and improving the intake and exhaust housings on the stock turbo. I do intend to try this iif/when I get a chance, ideally id like to buy a second turbo, play with the intake and exhaust sides and then build it with fresh seals, etc. before swapping out with the current unit,

anyone else with a 220d feel free to chime in here. I did read something about killing off the EGR setup but apparently if you simply blank it off the ECU doesn't like it and will throw codes, etc. read something from a Russian guy that seemed to get something working well (according to him anyway, I haven't tried it yet) by blanking the port on the head and welding a male hose barb onto a blanking plate for the intake manifold and essentially leaving the EGR in place and plugged in but running a hose off the barbed fitting to a clean boost source after the turbo instead of having it fed from the exhaust. this is something I want to mess around with if I get a chance.

anyway post up experience, ideas, questions and I will edit this post as needed as or when things are confirmed working/beneficial. I'm wanting to make something of an idiots guide of what you can do with the 220d for better performance.

not the best video but its something. my is220d with dpf gutted, dpf emulator and dte systems tuning box. need to take another couple stabs at a half decent vid. I over revved every gear in this trying to video and shift half decently at the same time, force of habit from driving petrol cars probably.. should have been shifting between 3000-3500rpm.

Last edited by DmcL325i; 02-16-16 at 05:30 PM.