RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Question about RC performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 06:56 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question about RC performance mods

Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, I did a bit of a search and didn't see a definitive answer to my following question:

What are the total hp/tq increases for all of the normal mods? Like PPE headers, tunes (I can't seem to see any actual data about either of the tunes? Do they do anything? Are they worth it?), exhaust, etc. Like what are the actual power increases each of these mods do and does anyone have any verifiable data to support the power increase claims for these mods (i.e. dyno charts?)? Also do any of these mods (or others if you have suggestions) increase low down power (torque)?

I ask because I currently have a 428i and hate the thing due to reliability issues and have been looking into getting a used RC350 but after test driving one today the thing seemed really gutless under normal driving conditions. Granted it wasn't an F sport so it didn't have S+ mode and it wasn't up to operating conditions since i only had like a 5 minute drive down the road and back. Anyway, it seemed it only made significant power over 4k rpm which isn't a problem when driving spiritedly but I'm wondering if anything above could help in just day to day driving zipping into openings, etc. I know RR is working on a supercharger for this car which I'm interested in but it doesn't seem to be out yet? And even when it does come out if it's anywhere near the cost of their RC F supercharger it wouldn't make much sense since it'd be cheaper to just get an RCF rather than an RC350.

I'm just starting my search but I have always really loved the idea of getting an RC but coming from one of the best turbo 4cyl engines, I'm used to having all of my power low down rather than the other way around how the NA 3.5L engine is.
Old 07-12-17, 10:11 AM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
That's what all the mods do, except for:
1. bigger engine
2. more compression
3. positive displacement supercharger
Yes but how much more significant power? Even if most of the power increases are noticeable after 4k rpm, there will still be slight power increases across the entire rev band.
Old 07-12-17, 11:10 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Probably get about +50 whp.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-12-17, 11:12 AM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Probably get about +50 whp.

-Josh

Is that with exhaust, tune and the headers?
Old 07-12-17, 11:20 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

roughly.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
kadify (07-12-17)
Old 07-12-17, 04:19 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

there will still be slight power increases across the entire rev band

Or not

Oh? You don't think so?
Old 07-12-17, 05:35 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

I don't think so, meaning I must be wrong?
Let's just leave it there, shall we?
Some of my own work that you can read for free: http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mopar-tech.htm
Some of my own work that you can purchase: http://www.victorylibrary.com/books1.htm

Wow you must lead an interesting life if you got paranoid that I was implying you were wrong with the wording of that question... I meant why don't you think any of those items (tune, headers or exhaust) have an impact lower down in the rev band. I'm not an expert or anything which is the point of this forum post. The PPE dyno chart starts at 3900 but from 3900+ it looks like a consistent increase over the stock headers. Wouldn't it be a linear(ish) increase from 0-3900 rpm?
Old 07-13-17, 07:13 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I have the RR tune, ark cat back, intake tube and a Tom's filter. The car is noticably quicker than stock, but still not to the level of my 08 IS350. I feel as though the performance mods I have somewhat rob from the lower rpms for gains at the upper rpms. If you're looking for a fast car but an RCF. I really needed AWD for winters, so the RC350 was right for me. My hopes are that RR will release a SC kit that's $5000 or less, that could push me to around 400 hp at the crank...
The following users liked this post:
kadify (07-13-17)
Old 07-13-17, 07:59 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcJten
I have the RR tune, ark cat back, intake tube and a Tom's filter. The car is noticably quicker than stock, but still not to the level of my 08 IS350. I feel as though the performance mods I have somewhat rob from the lower rpms for gains at the upper rpms. If you're looking for a fast car but an RCF. I really needed AWD for winters, so the RC350 was right for me. My hopes are that RR will release a SC kit that's $5000 or less, that could push me to around 400 hp at the crank...

Thank you very much for your answer! This is exactly the type of response I was looking at finding. I think I need to just take an extended test drive of a stock RC350 and really see if it's too slow. The price differential between the 350 and the F, with the features and color I'm looking for (molten pearl), is nearly 20k. And I'll be honest I kind of prefer the RC350 for a few reasons other than the speed. I'm only coming from a 4 cylinder now though so I don't need blistering speed, I just don't want to feel like I'm downgrading. Can I ask, even though you might be sacrificing power lower down in the rev band, do you feel the mods are worth it for the increases you notice higher up in the rev band?

I think the main thing I'm trying to figure out is if going from a turbo engine (where basically every ounce of power the car has is from 2000-4000 rpm) to a NA engine (where you really need to be 4000+ rpm) will detract from the every day drivability and enjoyment.
Old 07-13-17, 08:42 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

The performance mods I have are worth every penny. Don't get me wrong, my RC350 can be a beast under the right roads. I'm not going to win most drag races, not going to try, but put me on some back road curves and I can do some serious scoot. The power band of the NA V6 pushes from 4200 all the way up to 7200.

Not to mention these cars are beautiful.

Last edited by rcJten; 07-13-17 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 09:55 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcJten
The performance mods I have are worth every penny. Don't get me wrong, my RC350 can be a beast under the right roads. I'm not going to win most drag races, not going to try, but put me on some back road curves and I can do some serious scoot. The power band of the NA V6 pushes from 4200 all the way up to 7200.

Not to mention these cars are beautiful.
It's definitely a sick looking car! And wow what are the side blades you have on yours?:O Those look awesome! I'm going to see if I can find a used one at a dealer lot and ask to test drive that. That way I can really get a feel for how it drives after being broken in. Also how loud is your RC with those mods? It may not be as fast as my dads hellcat but if I were to get into an RC I'd love if it could be as loud xD
Old 07-18-17, 08:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I went through this when I looked at getting an RC350. I felt it was super slow considering how quick the IS350's and GS350's I've been in seemed. I came to the conclusion that I would find a cheap RC-F instead since I have seen quite a few in the $42-49k range with 15k to 35k miles. I didn't want to spend a bunch on a slow car and then spend a lot more to make it fast.

The RC350 makes decent power but it just wasn't enough for me. I figured a supercharger would cost too much.

The funny thing is 428i is capable of putting down a lot of power from what I read and I really wanted one before I drove the RC. I bought a 328i coupe and it was extremely unreliable and that's what pushed me to look into the RC350 and RC-F.
Old 07-18-17, 12:08 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
I went through this when I looked at getting an RC350. I felt it was super slow considering how quick the IS350's and GS350's I've been in seemed. I came to the conclusion that I would find a cheap RC-F instead since I have seen quite a few in the $42-49k range with 15k to 35k miles. I didn't want to spend a bunch on a slow car and then spend a lot more to make it fast.

The RC350 makes decent power but it just wasn't enough for me. I figured a supercharger would cost too much.

The funny thing is 428i is capable of putting down a lot of power from what I read and I really wanted one before I drove the RC. I bought a 328i coupe and it was extremely unreliable and that's what pushed me to look into the RC350 and RC-F.
The 428 is definitely a quick car. I think it's gotten faster the more I've driven it. It wasn't that thrilling when I first bought it but now the tires squeal when launching and it's an awd! But yeah the reliability issues are what have me looking towards lexus. My car has been in the shop for over 2 months worth of time now for some reoccurring issues and BMW isn't willing to offer any sort of buyback or exchange.

I'm looking at RCFs too but tbh I kind of prefer the 350 since it has the adaptive suspension and I think the instrument cluster is cooler since it moves. Plus there aren't many cheap Fs in the color I like, they're all 50k+.
Old 07-19-17, 11:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kadify
The 428 is definitely a quick car. I think it's gotten faster the more I've driven it. It wasn't that thrilling when I first bought it but now the tires squeal when launching and it's an awd! But yeah the reliability issues are what have me looking towards lexus. My car has been in the shop for over 2 months worth of time now for some reoccurring issues and BMW isn't willing to offer any sort of buyback or exchange.

I'm looking at RCFs too but tbh I kind of prefer the 350 since it has the adaptive suspension and I think the instrument cluster is cooler since it moves. Plus there aren't many cheap Fs in the color I like, they're all 50k+.
That's crazy that your car has spent so much time in the shop. For a new BMW that is unacceptable. Even my 328i wasn't that bad.

I thought they added the adaptive suspension to the RC-F but it may be on 2017 models. Brand new RC-F's cost way too much though. The cheaper ones are usually out of state and pretty far anyway. What color are you looking to get?
Old 07-19-17, 10:52 PM
kadify
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
That's crazy that your car has spent so much time in the shop. For a new BMW that is unacceptable. Even my 328i wasn't that bad.

I thought they added the adaptive suspension to the RC-F but it may be on 2017 models. Brand new RC-F's cost way too much though. The cheaper ones are usually out of state and pretty far anyway. What color are you looking to get?
It is crazy. Especially since BMW has done more than 6k in repairs but won't just buy the thing back to keep a costumer *shrug* Oh well it's still under warranty so I'll just keep taking it in.

I really want the molten pearl color. I LOVE it. Yeah I know this year adaptive is standard on the F but it wasn't on the previous years. I guess I'd just have to see how stiff it is. It's still a lexus and most reviewers say it's softer than comparable performance cars. My dad has a hellcat and if it feels anything like that car in sport mode (technically normal mode) then I'd be fine with a standard suspension. But the cost is a big consideration, also insurance would likely be much more.

Quick Reply: Question about RC performance mods