Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dyno Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 11:00 PM
timtim14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno Tuning

I am hoping to dyno tune my gs4 as to squeeze all the power out of the headers, exhaust and intake but i have been searching CL for awhile now on this subject and i cant get a clear cut answer. People say that the ECU can not be reprogrammed or can only be done temporarily because it relearns itself or goes back to factory settings? Others say that its worked for them. Can someone please give me a clear cut answer as to whether our cars can or can not be tuned or if we need a piggy back or standalone to make this possible. Thank you.
Old 01-02-13, 11:34 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can only change the air/fuel ratio with a piggyback. Thats it.
Old 01-03-13, 06:22 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think your better off getting the srt intake.
Old 01-03-13, 01:40 PM
MoncefGS
Driver School Candidate

Get an SRT intake and use an SAFC to tune the air/fuel ratio on the dyno. The tuner will be able to find the best AFR for power there. But get the intake first, since it will add quite a bit of power.
Old 01-03-13, 05:22 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MoncefGS
But get the intake first, since it will add quite a bit of power.
Here's some food for thought, I have the SRT intake (from the gs400) on my '99 sc400. I made 235whp before the intake and 239whp after.
Old 01-04-13, 07:09 AM
MoncefGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Durrby
Here's some food for thought, I have the SRT intake (from the gs400) on my '99 sc400. I made 235whp before the intake and 239whp after.
Whaaaat? Can you post the dyno charts?
Old 01-04-13, 09:46 AM
Durrby
Instructor

back in '10 before the intake

from a month ago with the intake
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Tuning-3502b6h.jpg   Dyno Tuning-m7fiau.jpg  
Old 01-04-13, 03:04 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to say it, but it looks like the only reason the more recent dyno made more power may be because you revved it higher. Torque only increased by 1lb/ft.

Simply reflashing or throwing piggybacks on an otherwise stock car isn't going to get you much gain unless the car came with forced induction from the factory. With a turbo you can usually squeeze an appreciable amount of additional power out by helping it breathe more, turning up the boost 1 or 2 lbs and tuning less conservatively than the factory.

With a N/A car there doesn't tend to be tons of power left on the table by the factory.

My Miata makes around 110whp bone stock on a Dynojet. With a full intake, header, exhaust (with a factory cat) and a majorly built head and intake manifold running a full stand-alone it made 140whp. That's only 30 more hp for about $5,500 in mods.

Granted...all that has been done in preparation for a turbo which will make the number closer to 300whp But I digress. The point is that "tuning" a naturally aspirated car on the dyno is only worthwhile if you have done a ton of work to the motor. And even then you can't expect easy gains like you would with a boosted car.

Of course, some exceptions do apply.
Old 01-04-13, 06:07 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 818GS
You can only change the air/fuel ratio with a piggyback. Thats it.
Huh??? This is just completely untrue.

There are piggybacks that can control ignition timing, injector pulsewidth, fuel pump control, nos control, launch control, boost control, 02 skewing, fuel type detection/map switching, data logging, etc, etc...
Old 01-05-13, 06:42 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
Hate to say it, but it looks like the only reason the more recent dyno made more power may be because you revved it higher. Torque only increased by 1lb/ft.

Simply reflashing or throwing piggybacks on an otherwise stock car isn't going to get you much gain unless the car came with forced induction from the factory. With a turbo you can usually squeeze an appreciable amount of additional power out by helping it breathe more, turning up the boost 1 or 2 lbs and tuning less conservatively than the factory.

With a N/A car there doesn't tend to be tons of power left on the table by the factory.

My Miata makes around 110whp bone stock on a Dynojet. With a full intake, header, exhaust (with a factory cat) and a majorly built head and intake manifold running a full stand-alone it made 140whp. That's only 30 more hp for about $5,500 in mods.

Granted...all that has been done in preparation for a turbo which will make the number closer to 300whp But I digress. The point is that "tuning" a naturally aspirated car on the dyno is only worthwhile if you have done a ton of work to the motor. And even then you can't expect easy gains like you would with a boosted car.

Though I agree it "only 30 HP" consider the % increase over stock. That's actually fairly impressive.

And 99 GS3 is right. Importantly, the o2 does function can prevent the ecu from relearning per the OP concerns.
Old 01-06-13, 07:32 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2

Disagree. I threw on my Apexi Neo almost 5 years ago on my GS4 and the tune still stuck to this day; gained around 20whp and 18wtq iirc. Dont feel like posting anymore dyno charts...did that a while back. Search my old threads.

With my stock whhels on, the car made 282whp and 306wtq. All my mods are in my sig. I leave a 20' streach off the line with my 275's on; the car has good power for being NA with some bolt-ons. Fyi, I remember the tuner said he will only tune the car for more power at WOT. He mentioned everything else would be a waste as the ecu overtime will override the part throttle adjustments.
Old 08-18-13, 10:29 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

With my BFI, and full header back exhaust I gained 35whp (assuming Durrby's stock SC numbers are the same as mine). I've been looking at getting a supporting but conservative tune and was hoping for 20-30whp more. Perhaps even a manual swap down the road which should release even more hp.
Attached Thumbnails Dyno Tuning-photo.jpg  
Old 08-19-13, 08:24 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Durrby- did you run the car a couple hundred miles after install before going back to the dyno? We just installed the SRT intake and it made substantial gains on my car. I notice your A/F is the same before and after, on my car the SRT ECU leaned it out quite a bit.
Old 08-20-13, 06:02 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
With my BFI, and full header back exhaust I gained 35whp (assuming Durrby's stock SC numbers are the same as mine). I've been looking at getting a supporting but conservative tune and was hoping for 20-30whp more. Perhaps even a manual swap down the road which should release even more hp.
I'm not sure how power on dyno's are measured but that sheet says 270 flywheel hp. Does that mean you still have to account for drivetrain loss which would make that number lower?
Originally Posted by rwheelz
Durrby- did you run the car a couple hundred miles after install before going back to the dyno? We just installed the SRT intake and it made substantial gains on my car. I notice your A/F is the same before and after, on my car the SRT ECU leaned it out quite a bit.
Yes, the intake was installed almost a year to the day when it was redynoed.
Old 08-21-13, 10:58 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Durrby
I'm not sure how power on dyno's are measured but that sheet says 270 flywheel hp. Does that mean you still have to account for drivetrain loss which would make that number lower?
Not unless I removed the engine to get those numbers. Dynos are at the wheels. Mine is still auto so I think that 'flywheel horesepower' is just how they label their dyno sheet?

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuning