Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE IS350 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 10:29 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the IS250? .....man, we get left out of all the fun...
Old 10-08-09, 10:44 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You have the same raspy sound that kicks in around 3k-4k rpms. (I had it too with headers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0BcS-o3Bqk )

that sound gets real old quick. it sounds like something like a heat shield or something is vibrating, but its not the heat shield. I am surprised yours has that sound considering you have primary cats in them. They typically semi muffle some of that sound out.

The header coating makes them look nice.

I am still trying to figure out your dyno. I pulled 283 on a dyno jet (with borla only), and i know mustang dyno's are a bit lower, but i figured you would be up in the upper 280- lower 290 range if you added 16hp?

Your custom exhaust...do you have info on it? does your full custom exhaust have cats? what type of mufflers? x pipe? I am guessing that your exhaust probably makes up about 10 of these hp's but if your base dyno was with the full custom exhaust, then I am very wrong. Do you feel that 265 represents an average of your baseline dyno's or was that the lowest of the 3?

Do you have any pics of the high flow cats? I take it the collector joins up with these high flow cats prior to your custom exhaust but in trying to eyeball the length of your pictures here I don't see how that is possible. It's hard to see scale in a picture without something next to it like this.

Name:  IMG_5900.jpg
Views: 3796
Size:  181.6 KB

congrats on your gains.
Old 10-08-09, 10:59 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combfilter
You have the same raspy sound that kicks in around 3k-4k rpms. (I had it too with headers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0BcS-o3Bqk )

that sound gets real old quick. it sounds like something like a heat shield or something is vibrating, but its not the heat shield. I am surprised yours has that sound considering you have primary cats in them. They typically semi muffle some of that sound out.

I am still trying to figure out your dyno. I pulled 283 on a dyno jet (with borla only), and i know mustang dyno's are a bit lower, but i figured you would be up in the upper 280- lower 290 range if you added 16hp?

Your custom exhaust...do you have info on it? does your full custom exhaust have cats? what type of mufflers? x pipe? I am guessing that your exhaust probably makes up about 10 of these hp's but if your base dyno was with the full custom exhaust, then I am very wrong. Do you feel that 265 represents an average of your baseline dyno's or was that the lowest of the 3?

Do you have any pics of the high flow cats? I take it the collector joins up with these high flow cats prior to your custom exhaust but in trying to eyeball the length of your pictures here I don't see how that is possible. It's hard to see scale in a picture without something next to it like this.

congrats on your gains.
How much power did the Mazurri's net you?
Old 10-09-09, 06:34 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the weight of these compared to stock including the HF cats?
Old 10-09-09, 06:49 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by four o two
How much power did the Mazurri's net you?
i actually lost around 5hp. and gained a cel light. (there was an entire other thread about it, search mazzuri if you really want. don't want to thread jack)

my biggest gain was the borla exhaust which was around 12hp. which is why i am curious about his exhaust.
Old 10-09-09, 12:17 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
You have the same raspy sound that kicks in around 3k-4k rpms. (I had it too with headers.)

congrats on your gains.
The only CATs on the car are High Flow CATs that are connected at the end of the headers. After about 5-10 minutes of driving that "heat shield rattle" goes away for the most part. It actually only happens at about 3k for me.

I unfortunately never dynoed my car stock. The first dyno pull was with the F-Sport Intake and a custom exhaust with an X-Pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and stock primary CATs. The second dyno just added the headers.

I wasn't there for the dyno cause I had to work . I will ask PPE about the dynos though and see what they say. I saw some other IS350 dynos and they were reading in the low 250 range. It would make sense that with my exhaust and intake I would read 265. Then with the headers read an overall 281 with a spike at 286. I will see if they have any more pics of the headers, if not I am sure I can get some when they start producing more sets.

They ultimately cut my exhaust and removed the stock CATs and then replaced them with the high-flow CATs. I will try to get pics of this as well.

I will also be dynoing my car again on Nov. 7th when the AZ Lexus crew is doing a group dyno. It will be on a Dynojet as well so maybe those results will be more comparable to your expectations.

Let me know if this answers your questions. If not, I will try again
Old 10-09-09, 03:11 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ JB
The only CATs on the car are High Flow CATs that are connected at the end of the headers. After about 5-10 minutes of driving that "heat shield rattle" goes away for the most part. It actually only happens at about 3k for me.

I unfortunately never dynoed my car stock. The first dyno pull was with the F-Sport Intake and a custom exhaust with an X-Pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and stock primary CATs. The second dyno just added the headers.

I wasn't there for the dyno cause I had to work . I will ask PPE about the dynos though and see what they say. I saw some other IS350 dynos and they were reading in the low 250 range. It would make sense that with my exhaust and intake I would read 265. Then with the headers read an overall 281 with a spike at 286. I will see if they have any more pics of the headers, if not I am sure I can get some when they start producing more sets.

They ultimately cut my exhaust and removed the stock CATs and then replaced them with the high-flow CATs. I will try to get pics of this as well.

I will also be dynoing my car again on Nov. 7th when the AZ Lexus crew is doing a group dyno. It will be on a Dynojet as well so maybe those results will be more comparable to your expectations.

Let me know if this answers your questions. If not, I will try again

thanks for the info. That answers everything and makes sense.

The one item i am most surprised with is that the high flow cats that ppe used on the headers does enough of a job to keep the o2 senors happy. I'd find out if those are magnaflow high flow cats or what they are using. whatever they are using they are doing their job for sure.

You should hit upper 280's i bet on a dyno jet.
Old 10-09-09, 03:45 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

I know I don't have the pics of the hole at the end of the headers, but those of you wondering, they used a TRUE MERGE COLLECTOR.

Also, I am gonna GUESSIMATE that the weight of each header with CAT attached is ~15lbs. Not positive though.
Old 10-11-09, 02:25 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still want to see the dyno for lower RPMS.

Maybe with these headers you lose low end power?
Old 10-11-09, 06:37 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Wooohoooo, finally, a thread for the 350 with actual gains. congrats

Now, why have the 250 guys been left out? and what is the likely hood of PPE manufactureing a header for us 300 guys in middle east and asia? Guess one way to find out....
Old 10-11-09, 11:43 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83

Now, why have the 250 guys been left out? and what is the likely hood of PPE manufactureing a header for us 300 guys in middle east and asia? Guess one way to find out....
I said this earlier but my question went unanswered lol
Old 10-11-09, 01:01 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by ndk83

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I said this earlier but my question went unanswered lol
Email and ask them..
Old 10-11-09, 01:29 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

yup i did, hopefully ill get a response, although i know itll prob not work out for me haha
Old 10-13-09, 05:19 AM
TrueStreet
Driver

are the exhaust flanges different on the 4GR and 2GR?
Old 10-13-09, 10:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TrueStreet
are the exhaust flanges different on the 4GR and 2GR?
At the OEM Font mid pipe connections... NO..
The flanges after the primary CATs are the same on an IS250 RWD & IS350 RWD.

I haven't been able to confirm whether or not there are two different oem manifolds or part numbers between the two different engines...

Prelim data says they are the same, but someone with access to the OE parts catalogue can better verify than me..

Verified myself that the IS250 AWD manifolds are different for sure..!!
(at least on the drivers side)

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-13-09 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: PPE IS350 Headers