Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance Chips - The Mother Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-07, 07:46 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it and dyno.
Old 06-07-07, 07:49 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

That type of power from a chip is typically only obtained with Turbo cars.
Old 06-07-07, 07:58 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

There just raggin' on ya'. No harm mean't.

I think what everyone is basically saying is that it will not work! There's no question that's what they are saying. Seriously, for $36 bucks or whatever it was, I don't think it's even worth risking your car for that.

Regardless of what everyone thinks, those 250's have a pretty good "kick in the pants". At least that's what I thought when I drove one, but I'm a "geezer", so anything faster than an old pickup seems fast to me.

You're driving one of the world's finest machines, be happy and enjoy it!

Oh, and what a wonderful place you live in! Puerto Rico is beautiful. I was there in 1980.

Cheers,
Old Oiler
Old 06-07-07, 09:25 PM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

No need to be so harsh on the guy, no need to insinuate that he's a dumbass.

This is why he's coming here and asking the question.

Unfortunately no, it does not work. If it did, we all would have one.

Unfortunately there's nothing out their for our cars right now that will give it any considerable gains. Aside from stepping up to a SC or Turbo.
Old 02-14-08, 04:46 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Default any one seen this ecu chip..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERFO...mZ270212105757
so i saw this on ebay .. the today and wonder.. will it work its only 10 bucks..
Old 02-14-08, 05:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

You will get nothing of value if you buy it. There are no replaceable chips in any Toyota engine management computer.
Old 02-14-08, 05:17 PM
Mystery_is
Driver

waste
Old 02-14-08, 06:16 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Agree its just an expensive resistor.
Old 02-14-08, 07:04 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the heads up..lob i quess im just wishful thinking...
Old 02-14-08, 08:58 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You will get nothing of value if you buy it. There are no replaceable chips in any Toyota engine management computer.
There are methods of tweaking the programming of the OEM ecus on several Toyota ECUs. Several ecus can incorporate a Techtom Rom board with a scramble chip and programmable chips to "tweak" the tuning to ones advantage while still having OEM drivability. The 1st gen IS300 uses a flash ecu which has its program downloaded into the ECU straight from the OBD-II port. I believe the 2nd gen is also the same. I have the files for the 1st gen but not the 2nd gen yet. I'm no software engineer so I can't understand how its setup but I'm sure someone could figure it out someday.

-Joe
Old 02-15-08, 02:14 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carchitect
There are methods of tweaking the programming of the OEM ecus on several Toyota ECUs. Several ecus can incorporate a Techtom Rom board with a scramble chip and programmable chips to "tweak" the tuning to ones advantage while still having OEM drivability. The 1st gen IS300 uses a flash ecu which has its program downloaded into the ECU straight from the OBD-II port. I believe the 2nd gen is also the same. I have the files for the 1st gen but not the 2nd gen yet. I'm no software engineer so I can't understand how its setup but I'm sure someone could figure it out someday.

-Joe
If it's a reflash, I wonder why no one like Hypertech, Diablosport, or Superchips has made a programmer for the car????

Wait....yes I do (at least one reason): because there is such a small market for them.

Last edited by mikes rx; 02-15-08 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 08:10 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

-Joe
did someone say software engineer? what lingo we talkin
Old 02-15-08, 11:43 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Well I know CL Member "Gernby" has been working on his self tuning piggy-back Ecu for a while now..

Don't remember what ever happened with it..

Joe Z
Old 02-15-08, 03:02 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

hes been trying to get his title back from cayman hahaha..
Old 02-15-08, 09:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

-Joe
I have a Techtom modded Supra ECM. Very familiar with them. Toyota has publicly stated all new ECMs will be flashable and TIS has a complete listing of models with flashable ECMs.

You'll need to decrypt the software before you can do anything with it. That's step one. Then you'll need to reverse engineer it. Step two. Then you get to figure out which tables need to be modified and test them. Keep in mind, every iteration requires generating a checksum to be validated every time the ECM loads its software (every start cycle) and the code will need to be re-encrypted with the same algorithm Toyota used.

None of this is impossible, but Toyota have gone to great lengths to make it difficult. Add to this they've stated they are designing a proprietary operating system due for public release in 2015. That's how serious they are about making unauthorized modifications difficult.

Quick Reply: Performance Chips - The Mother Thread