Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally made the damn install appointment!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 12:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Thanks for the re-assurance guys. I am bringing the car back tonight. They mentioned that the header gaskets and resonator gaskets should be replaced. Unfortunately, they mentioned this to me about 1 hour before I picked the car up. They had the car for almost 3 days...had I would have know this earlier I would have just told them to order me new gaskets on the fly before they put everything back together. We shall see what happens...I'll keep you guys posted on my "saga." lol
you would think they woulda recommended you to replace those gaskets neways. most good shops will or not even ask and put them in and bill you for them. its kinda a no brainer. good luck
Old 01-08-09, 08:28 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

They mentioned that the header gaskets and resonator gaskets should be replaced. Unfortunately, they mentioned this to me about 1 hour before I picked the car up.
I wonder what they are telling you. The HAD to do SOMETHING with the header gaskets on installation. They could have re-used the stock multi-layer stainless gaskets, installed new factory gaskets (recommended) or used the S&S supplied composite gaskets (not recommended).

There are also gaskets on the header outlets to the catalyst inlets. These are composite "O" ring type gaskets the should be replaced on install. Some get away without replacing them but it is recommended.

Here is a picture of the cat outlets to Y pipe inlets showing the "O" ring gasket. Pic is from the LS400 Y pipe but the intersection is the same.

Resonator gaskets are unusual to need replacing and I am unsure how much noise would be coming from them if they were bad.
Attached Thumbnails Finally made the damn install appointment!-cat-outlet-to-y-pipe-dissa.jpg  
Old 01-08-09, 12:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I supplied them with two "O" ring type gaskets for the end of the headers. The CL member that sold me the headers gave me two collector (?) gaskets (the gasket with the 4 ports for the header runners) which seemed rather new. The shop said they were in good condition so they re-used them and put the two brand new "O" ring gaskets on the other end. Those were the only gaskets I supplied. Perhaps I need others like where the Y pipe merges.
Old 01-12-09, 01:42 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Did they figure it out ?
Old 01-12-09, 08:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

It goes back tomorrow morning to get all new gaskets installed. It's strange but the exhaust leak sound is still there however the car "feels" faster now eventhough my Neo is still disconnected. Perhaps it took a while for the ECU to learn? I'm puzzled.
Old 01-12-09, 01:51 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

It goes back tomorrow morning to get all new gaskets installed. It's strange but the exhaust leak sound is still there however the car "feels" faster now eventhough my Neo is still disconnected. Perhaps it took a while for the ECU to learn? I'm puzzled.
These engines and transmissions are "adaptive" and they do in fact respond to driver style. Maybe yours was so nicely "taught" and the work cleared the ECU leaving it standard Lexus owner slow. Now that it is back in school things are getting back to par. Keep us posted.
Old 01-13-09, 04:04 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I was kinda thinking the same thing. When you pulled the piggyback at the car wash, then stock ecu saw all those changes, headers, intake, exhaust leak, plus taken in the a/f of the water in the air if you ran it thru the car wash also, the Stock ECU was mostly likely saying WTF !
Old 01-14-09, 06:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Got the car back last night. It is flat out awesome! It feels similar if not "slightly" quicker than before and I don't even have my Neo hooked up yet! These findings would make sense because my Neo yielded around 17whp on back to back dyno runs and I read in many places that these headers also yield around 17whp...so for now it's a wash. The car feels and sounds SO MUCH better now.

It wasn't just bad gaskets...there was also a huge crack in the driver side cat (the smaller ones closest to the engine). It was repairable so they welded the crap out of it.

I still can't believe how much of a night and day difference it is. I am very happy now. I just can't wait to throw that Neo back on and see some "real" gains. Thanks to all for all the help and assistance; it is MUCH appreciated as always.

I'll start a new dyno thread when I get it tuned...perhaps I'll be the first 2nd gen NA GS to hit 300whp...that's what I'm shooting for but I'll probably realistically see around 290-295whp; we'll see.
Old 01-14-09, 09:09 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, Rock-a-Lex! I'm happy for 'ya! You have the same setup I'm shooting for, and whenever I read your posts I get all excited

Got the car back last night. It is flat out awesome! It feels similar if not "slightly" quicker than before and I don't even have my Neo hooked up yet! These findings would make sense because my Neo yielded around 17whp on back to back dyno runs and I read in many places that these headers also yield around 17whp...so for now it's a wash. The car feels and sounds SO MUCH better now.

It wasn't just bad gaskets...there was also a huge crack in the driver side cat (the smaller ones closest to the engine). It was repairable so they welded the crap out of it.

I still can't believe how much of a night and day difference it is. I am very happy now. I just can't wait to throw that Neo back on and see some "real" gains. Thanks to all for all the help and assistance; it is MUCH appreciated as always.

I'll start a new dyno thread when I get it tuned...perhaps I'll be the first 2nd gen NA GS to hit 300whp...that's what I'm shooting for but I'll probably realistically see around 290-295whp; we'll see.
Old 01-14-09, 09:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...cool; you'll be there soon enough my friend.
Old 01-14-09, 06:52 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Congrats, Rock-a-Lex! I'm happy for 'ya! You have the same setup I'm shooting for, and whenever I read your posts I get all excited
Yea im doing a very similar setup too. This whole thread I have been so excited to see the results. When your car wasnt runing to good I was like O NOOO. I am very pleased to hear that its runing good and feeling strong. I cant wait to see results.

Because of this whole ordeal I think im gonna go buy the headers before the safc. I almost have enough saved up.

GL with your safc retune when do you think you will be doing that?

Last edited by evil00017; 01-14-09 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 08:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This has been one of the days that makes me want to forget about modding for power ever again and buy something very fast out of the box. It makes me sick sometimes and stresses me out unnecessarily.
What's your opinion now?
Old 01-15-09, 06:26 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

To be honest...still the same. I am done modding this particular car for power. I am going to make it the quickest it can be with what it currently has (i.e. getting running optimally with the tune). I am sure I will be more happy with it after the tune.

To make it "feel" faster I may do some weight reduction such as pick-up some lightweight 19's down the road and remove my box w/12" subs and replace with a single 12" or a single 10" in the factory location.

The only other power mods that are left that I can think of short of FI, nitrous and methanol injection is the valve body upgrade and perhaps a custom exhaust using an "x" pipe. However, people have mentioned that the car shifts a little too rugged with the VB upgrade and I have read too many mixed results with the "x" pipe such as a loss in low-end power; so I figured now is a good stopping point for me.

In the Spring I have a whole crap load of body components that is going on the car...front lip spoiler, rear bumper, side skirts, trunk lip spoiler and perhaps a roof spoiler. It will look totally different.
Old 01-15-09, 06:29 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by evil00017
Yea im doing a very similar setup too. This whole thread I have been so excited to see the results. When your car wasnt runing to good I was like O NOOO. I am very pleased to hear that its runing good and feeling strong. I cant wait to see results.

Because of this whole ordeal I think im gonna go buy the headers before the safc. I almost have enough saved up.

GL with your safc retune when do you think you will be doing that?
I will call the shop within the next week or so and make an appointment...I have a lot of family events going on for the next 2 weeks so a dyno appointment will most likely be 1st week of february. I'll start a new thread when the time comes.

Thanks again to all my fellow CL members for the support...you guys are the BEST!
Old 01-15-09, 07:03 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I will call the shop within the next week or so and make an appointment...I have a lot of family events going on for the next 2 weeks so a dyno appointment will most likely be 1st week of february. I'll start a new thread when the time comes.

Thanks again to all my fellow CL members for the support...you guys are the BEST!
Sounds like the February 3rd Rock-a-Lex annual dyno test and tune is a comming up right on schedule!

BTW, until I see clear evidence suggesting otherwise I still recommend the stock Y pipe for NA applications. There may be a replacement option Y pipe comming from S&S. If that actually proves to be a better part then it could change my position. This is not a put down for those that have had 2.25" duals with an X installed just a recommendation going forward. The goal MUST be to make a better DRIVING car which means better FEEL which means improving the torque curve.

Peak dyno numbers are one thing but if the car gets "softer" or looses low end response and power the result is not enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Finally made the damn install appointment!