Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally made the damn install appointment!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 05:11 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ugh. sorry to hear man. I hope everything works out
Old 01-04-09, 05:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I know the modded problem ( make a change and something goes wrong ) feeling.

Most likely not a crack this soon unless they wreched something during the install. I had one of the 1st batch of headers that did crack on my car. One tell tale sign was, when you were in park or Netrual you could not get it to tick no matter how much you rev'd it. Power braking did not work either. Only could hear it ticking while moving at speed. More likely something came loose at the exhaust connection.

When it's all worked out you'll be glad you went thru it all. Keep us posted.
Old 01-05-09, 10:13 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the support guys
Old 01-05-09, 10:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex

This has been one of the days that makes me want to forget about modding for power ever again and buy something very fast out of the box. It makes me sick sometimes and stresses me out unnecessarily.

Buddy I feel the same way. I've stopped modding and decided to save up and buy a fast car out of the box. I'm tired of throwing money at a car that nets you little power (aside from 2jz-gte GS). Next stop, Mercedes E55/E63
Old 01-05-09, 12:15 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Buddy I feel the same way. I've stopped modding and decided to save up and buy a fast car out of the box. I'm tired of throwing money at a car that nets you little power (aside from 2jz-gte GS). Next stop, Mercedes E55/E63
Hey GSteg, do you have the S&S headers on your GS? If so, can you please discribe the sound. I am getting a sort of loud hot roddish sound at 3K rpm and above. I'm not sure if this is right...I watched a youtube link with a guy with the S&S headers and a Tanabe catback exhaust and his sounded much like what is mentioned on these forums; "a little deeper and throatier." I am getting like an annoying "hot rod" noise...almost (very similar) to how a go-cart sounds. My friend says he smells a lot of the exhaust up front also...so there must be a leak. What do you think?
Old 01-05-09, 12:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I dont have S&S on my car. GS Fonzy has them on his car for quite some times now.

I think I've seen a clip of a GS with S&S and Borla on youtube.
Old 01-05-09, 04:00 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best way to check for exhaust leaks in general is being next to a wall. The car will sound like a lawn mower.
it's normal for the engine to smoke and smell a little, do to greasy paws all over the engine during install.
Old 01-06-09, 05:41 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...man. I'm still a little bent. I am calling the shop today that did the install. Maybe I'll drop it back off to them to give it another once over. I am unhappy with how the car drives now. I should have just left (the stock mani's) well enough alone. Maybe I'll post up a youtube video of the sound that I am getting VERY noticable inside the cabin especially while driving. I don't believe that this is just the normal "header" sound. I definitely lost low end power too. Thank god for my high stall torque converter to help out somewhat.
Old 01-06-09, 07:28 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Something must not be right, because the increase in sound level is very minimal from the S&S header install ( on my car ). Also, what JGScott said, you will not hear the ticking sound from a cracked header unless you are under load ( you will not hear it at idle ). I would make sure about the crush gaskets at the header to cat and the cat to mid-pipe connection. Did you have new manifold gaskets installed during the time of installation?

Also the power increase was definitely noticeable after installation in my case ( GS430 ). No loss of low-end power, either. Good luck with detemining the problem.
Old 01-06-09, 07:35 AM
Bliggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TeeLex
Something must not be right, because the increase in sound level is very minimal from the S&S header install ( on my car ). Also, what JGScott said, you will not hear the ticking sound from a cracked header unless you are under load ( you will not hear it at idle ). I would make sure about the crush gaskets at the header to cat and the cat to mid-pipe connection. Did you have new manifold gaskets installed during the time of installation?

Also the power increase was definitely noticeable after installation in my case ( GS430 ). No loss of low-end power, either. Good luck with detemining the problem.
Agree, I felt a power gain through the whole rpm range on my 430
Old 01-06-09, 10:23 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
...man. I'm still a little bent. I am calling the shop today that did the install. Maybe I'll drop it back off to them to give it another once over. I am unhappy with how the car drives now. I should have just left (the stock mani's) well enough alone. Maybe I'll post up a youtube video of the sound that I am getting VERY noticable inside the cabin especially while driving. I don't believe that this is just the normal "header" sound. I definitely lost low end power too. Thank god for my high stall torque converter to help out somewhat.
Whatever is going on it is NOT the actual headers.

Exhaust leak is probable.

Tuning change that is NOT header related is also probable.

Get those things right and you will NOT be down on power. No way.
Old 01-06-09, 12:16 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks for the re-assurance guys. I am bringing the car back tonight. They mentioned that the header gaskets and resonator gaskets should be replaced. Unfortunately, they mentioned this to me about 1 hour before I picked the car up. They had the car for almost 3 days...had I would have know this earlier I would have just told them to order me new gaskets on the fly before they put everything back together. We shall see what happens...I'll keep you guys posted on my "saga." lol
Old 01-06-09, 12:24 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeLex

Yep that's what I was guessing was that it was either one of those donut not installed correctly or a leak at the Maniflof Gasket where the headers fit onto the Head. I would not ever reuse the old gasket or intsall anything other than Lexus Gaskets.
Old 01-06-09, 04:33 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The loss of power could be do to the car running stock A/F Ratio vs tuned.
Old 01-07-09, 09:36 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
The loss of power could be do to the car running stock A/F Ratio vs tuned.
Yeah, but it even felt rather sluggish before I disconnected the Neo. Now without the Neo connected it feels really bad...where I hate driving it knowing my car was faster (and a lot more fun) a week ago. It's at the shop right now; they told me that one main problem that they found (so far) was that the resonator gaskets (to and from) were SHOT! I told them to replace them. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Finally made the damn install appointment!