Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally made the damn install appointment!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-09, 08:43 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the K&N FIPK...all ABS plastic
Old 04-15-09, 10:07 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to see your 1/4 mile number... I'm just curious after my run with an STi.

edmunds number:

1/4 in 13.3 seconds at 102mph.

The guy must be a real noob or was toying with me.
Old 04-15-09, 10:29 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam430
I would like to see your 1/4 mile number... I'm just curious after my run with an STi.

edmunds number:

...well if it was from any type (MPH) of roll, I can see your great results BUT if it was from a launch and he is a GREAT driver (Because I heard it is REAL hard to launch AWD cars well) then he probably would have been ahead. I don't have any life experience against STi's.
Old 04-16-09, 09:14 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

edmunds number:

Sam, don't be so sure. I just read your post in the "racing" section and I believe you are on par with the STi. Not in the "launch" department but in the "pull" department IOW rate of acceleration.

My 1/4 mile times were in perfect air and 4100 pounds race weight (me included) my LS400 was nearly stock, stock exhaust, no headers. My 0-60 for those passes were 5.5 or so. My trap speed over 99mph was not far from that STi. Your 4.3 liter has been let free with the headers (stock 430 manifolds MUCH worse than the 400s). In ideal conditions I would definitely believe 5 flat 0-60 for your car compared to the 4.8 for the STi... well within "driver error".

As speed increases aerodynamics become increasingly important. The STi has (from what I can find) is .36 compared to a GS430 at .30
It will of course have a serious off line advantage with AWD but once rolling your intake and headered 430 should hang. Above 100mph you will likely pull on one.
Old 04-16-09, 11:37 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbrady
Sam, don't be so sure. I just read your post in the "racing" section and I believe you are on par with the STi. Not in the "launch" department but in the "pull" department IOW rate of acceleration.

My 1/4 mile times were in perfect air and 4100 pounds race weight (me included) my LS400 was nearly stock, stock exhaust, no headers. My 0-60 for those passes were 5.5 or so. My trap speed over 99mph was not far from that STi. Your 4.3 liter has been let free with the headers (stock 430 manifolds MUCH worse than the 400s). In ideal conditions I would definitely believe 5 flat 0-60 for your car compared to the 4.8 for the STi... well within "driver error".

As speed increases aerodynamics become increasingly important. The STi has (from what I can find) is .36 compared to a GS430 at .30
It will of course have a serious off line advantage with AWD but once rolling your intake and headered 430 should hang. Above 100mph you will likely pull on one.
Ah... that's comforting, I hate to be toy'ed with LOL. I would have put a smack down on him and go FI. I'm so anxious to get the Apexi NEO (back log with unfinshed mods right now). Anxious to see Rocks number too ,1/4...but from reading his stories, I think he's in the high 13's (aside from gettn torn up by a mazdaspeed). But I hope I get surprised by a mid to low 13's.
Old 04-16-09, 12:49 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

^you can't say torn up...he was ahead of me by a few cars to begin with before he WOT it. I noticed he went all out then I followed suit but it was way too late and too hard to catch up; he was definitely NOT stock and a light turbo'd car with just a SIMPLE tune can easily produce 30-40whp more just with a boost controller on it's stock turbos.

Please realize that eventhough you have a 430 and the headers "may" respond better than on a 400 you will probably only gain 3-4whp more (than results on a 400) and perhaps the same with torque. It won't make THAT much of a difference lol. The REAL difference is the high stall TC for launches. If my car is now roughly 360hp (crank) it definitely feels like a 400hp car off the line with the torque multiplication. With my MEATY winter tires (and only 36PSI) it is POINTLESS for me to launch right now. The car just goes sideways on dry pavement. When I get my new wheels soon I will have either 9.5 or 10" in the rear along with some nice T1R's...then I'll post up some videos for you all. I may surprise you and be in mid 13's for all you know...
Old 04-16-09, 01:39 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I would love to get my hands on a PI but then again there is the CEL issue. Also, it's not all that great without a LSD...but I want the same gear and not the 3.71-ish.

So far, I'm not at your level of power for an NA but you did quite well with the NEO. That's my next mod...LOL, or my back-logged mod.

Thanks for the tip on the TRD LSD... I may look into the "carbon" one.

Last edited by sam430; 04-16-09 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 02:07 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I would love to get my hands on a PI but then again there is the CEL issue. Also, it's not all that great without a LSD...but I want the same gear and not the 3.71-ish.

So far, I'm not at your level of power for an NA but you did quite well with the NEO. That's my next mod...LOL, or my back-logged mod.
You'll be there soon enough! Also, with regard to the above bolded, have you checked into the TRD LSD? It is a drop-in type which means it gets installed into your stock 3.23 rear end and is A LOT cheaper! I think it is around $600 or so BUT I heard it is a real PITA to install (install cost is higher). Check into this; I believe Carson sells it.
Old 04-16-09, 02:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

I may settle for a lextreme...never thought I needed it . As far as LSD... I won't settle I want to keep my ratio. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-16-09, 05:08 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may settle for a lextreme...never thought I needed it . As far as LSD... I won't settle I want to keep my ratio. Thanks for the tip.
Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
:have you checked into the TRD LSD? It is a drop-in type which means it gets installed into your stock 3.23 rear end and is A LOT cheaper! I think it is around $600 or so BUT I heard it is a real PITA to install (install cost is higher). Check into this; I believe Carson sells it.
The TRD unit is about $900. It is much cheaper to source a supra automatic TT LSD because it's the same ring & pinion as the GS/SC, the TT 6-speed is a different size (not useable). Unfortunetly, everyone who owns supra parts wants and arm and a leg for whatever parts they have lying around. Also it is popular now, and everyone is aware of this, these LSDs are harder to find individually, and most often are found as entire pumpkins. That being said, bargins can be found, and trading is a definate possibility. Stock GS4 is 3.26, GS3 is 3.92, I am in the process of sliding a LSD onto the 3.92 gear. Whatever you choose, someone has already been there and done that and documented it. Good luck.
Old 04-16-09, 05:57 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

^ the 3.92 gears are nice and give some real nice pull but you will lose even more mpg (if it's your daily driver it could be a PITA), also at 80mph you will probably be around 3500rpms.

There was a guy here that had the 3.76's on his 400; not sure but I think it was CL member Lexizm.

One mod that I would LOVE to do but I heard you lose most if not all of the luxury feel of the GS is the valve body upgrade in the tranny. While I was getting my work done last year I was VERY tempted to do it since everything was already open. It makes the shifts quicker and much more firm. This is a good "track" mod. Ultimately, I voted no because my car is my DD and I wouldn't always want the gears to bang into the next.
Old 04-16-09, 08:08 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

So, if I grab a supra auto TT LSD ... I can keep my ratio? At that point, I can decide if I want the TT ratio or the GS4 ratio? That would be nice. Will it be a difficult parts swap to keep GS ratio? It's going to be a while before I do this or when I can source a cheap one.

I've searched about a few months ago on this subject but it's hard to find DIY...just mentioning of the different types of differentials.
Old 04-16-09, 10:45 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Most people do not realize that a convention differential powers BOTH wheels... it is only when traction is lost that all the torque goes to the tire without traction. If you can keep the torque load below the tire grip limit you will be able to launch fairly hard. Drag radials will improve this situation. As some forums are fond of saying... get the "driver" mod

The trick is rolling into the throttle. Practice at ever increasing roll in rates. Find the limits. Learn the cars "feel". As Rock says he can blow away both tires without a problem. The better you learn to launch with a typical diff the better you will be able to drive any vehicle.

Once rolling the rest is getting the tranny shifting at peak RPMs, 6200rpm. My car will "learn" to shift at a lower RPM if I do too much granny driving. Agressive driving will result in higher RPM shifts. The 400s peak HP is 6000rpm. If you are shifting at 5900-6000rpm you are loosing a bunch of performance. The ECU pulls timing before and after the shift for smoothness. You need to pull clean past 6000rpm or you do not get peak power. My best runs were leaving car in drive and letting it shift itself. Of course my pre-run driving had it shifting at 6200rpm. The 430s peak power with the stock manifolds is 5600rpm. With the headers??? my guess is power stays fairly high to above 6000rpm. I suggest the same driving techniques as a 400.

Before spending more money enjoy and maximize what you have. Once you top out your current set-up consider the next mod. This pays dividends everytime and everywhere.
Old 04-20-09, 05:07 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Uploaded last year's dyno and my most recent dyno if anyone is interested.

Last Year's dyno...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2-2-08 Dyno.pdf (28.5 KB, 147 views)
Old 04-20-09, 05:09 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Most recent dyno run...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4-11-09 Dyno.pdf (24.4 KB, 178 views)

Quick Reply: Finally made the damn install appointment!