Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally made the damn install appointment!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 06:18 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Finally made the damn install appointment!

****UPDATE**** see page 5.

Finally received the last parts I was waiting on. I have an appointment to get the following installed on 12/30:

S&S headers
New gaskets
All new O2 sensors (so I am at top efficiency)
New Torque Master plugs

I can't wait; then it's off to the dyno shop to get my damn Neo re-tuned. I'll keep you guys updated...right now I am at a HAIR under 270whp...I think it was at 269.4 or something.lol

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 04-11-09 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 02:15 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

update us when u done. y u waiting till the 29 to do this though
Old 12-12-08, 05:11 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i dont wanna wait that long :-p im sure neither do you
Old 12-12-08, 07:19 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you got a quote yet for the S&S install?
Old 12-14-08, 06:58 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Yeah, I had a GREAT quote by a reputable shop (located in Queens, NY) but realize that it might take more than one day to do the install and I don't really want to leave my car overnight anywhere; especially when it's my DD and the place is almost an hour away. I have a shop that I have been going to for many years and they do great work. For the install of the plugs, O2's and headers they said somewhere between $800-$1000; the shop is literally 2 miles away and they feel that they could still do it all in one day (same day pick-up). The only reason why I am waiting is because that is their first "open" day for a job like this; they are constantly busy. I will keep you guys posted! Thanks...
Old 12-27-08, 10:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Finally received the last parts I was waiting on. I have an appointment to get the following installed on 12/30:

S&S headers
New gaskets
All new O2 sensors (so I am at top efficiency)
New Torque Master plugs

I can't wait; then it's off to the dyno shop to get my damn Neo re-tuned. I'll keep you guys updated...right now I am at a HAIR under 270whp...I think it was at 269.4 or something.lol
Do you have any pics of what your exhaust and intake look like. BTW nice setup.
Old 12-29-08, 06:46 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgscott
Do you have any pics of what your exhaust and intake look like. BTW nice setup.
I will try to post some up when I get a chance. Install is set for tomorrow...can't wait! The dyno appontment might be in another week or so.

I will surely report back to you guys on the performance result from the headers.
Old 12-30-08, 05:40 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

so let us know what happened and post up the results
Old 12-30-08, 11:08 PM
arpham
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woah. I thought that's pretty expensive.. I have a mechanic who does everything for 35/hr
Old 12-31-08, 02:43 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im excited for these results. I know you havent dynoed yet but how does the but dyno feel about the headers?
Old 01-01-09, 07:56 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well, due to the Holiday they (mechanic) were only open 1/2 day on 12/31 and was closed today. They worked on it for most of 12/30 and a couple of hours on 12/31; I should be getting her back by tomorrow afternoon the latest! They said it will roughly be 10 hrs. for all (O2's, spark plugs & headers) @ $85/hr (NY rates). Probably looking at a $1,000 bill; I hope it is worth it. At least I will know my car is at top efficiency with the new sensors and plugs. I'll keep you guys updated when I get my car back. As a side note, there is A LOT of snow on the ground here today so I'm not sure of how much "testing" I could get in tomorrow; I will need a nice stretch of some nice dry pavement for obvious reasons...I will do my best.
Old 01-03-09, 11:11 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

OK, guys...I have been battling the flu for the last 3 days. As a matter of fact I just started seeing symptoms last time I logged on here on New Year's day. I was BARELY able to pick my car up yesterday and drive it home without blowing chunks (sorry for being gross). So, needless to say I didn't get to test it out plus there is still a lot of slush and ice on the ground. I feel like I am starrting to get better now so I will test it tommorrow as I don't even have the car right now. I had to bring the damn thing back to the shop because my steering wheel is off when driving straight. They hd to take the steering rack apart to put these damn headers in so they have to now make some adjustments to make right. The whole thing cost me exactly $1,000 (w/ NYS tax) for the install of the sparks, O2's and headers; where 8hrs of the bill was just for the header install. This shop's labor rate is $90/hr. They do good work though. I suspect that if they just installed the headers it would be around $800 or a little less. Sorry if it seems like I am pulling your legs but I will have plenty of pics of the old parts to discuss wear and tear.
Old 01-03-09, 01:49 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oof, gotta hate manual rates hahaha
Old 01-03-09, 04:38 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,285 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
OK, guys...I have been battling the flu for the last 3 days. As a matter of fact I just started seeing symptoms last time I logged on here on New Year's day. I was BARELY able to pick my car up yesterday and drive it home without blowing chunks (sorry for being gross). So, needless to say I didn't get to test it out plus there is still a lot of slush and ice on the ground. I feel like I am starrting to get better now so I will test it tommorrow as I don't even have the car right now. I had to bring the damn thing back to the shop because my steering wheel is off when driving straight. They hd to take the steering rack apart to put these damn headers in so they have to now make some adjustments to make right. The whole thing cost me exactly $1,000 (w/ NYS tax) for the install of the sparks, O2's and headers; where 8hrs of the bill was just for the header install. This shop's labor rate is $90/hr. They do good work though. I suspect that if they just installed the headers it would be around $800 or a little less. Sorry if it seems like I am pulling your legs but I will have plenty of pics of the old parts to discuss wear and tear.
Putting in those new plugs works real good on the dyno. Make sure you can get at least 50 good aggressive driving miles on the car before you dyno so the ecu can learn the change. Also if I remember you had a a AFC and might fing more hp with a minor change.
Old 01-04-09, 04:53 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Today, things went from no good, to worse...I felt better today and the roads were fairly dry so I took her out to get washed. My fiance was following me to get her car washed too. After the car was warmed up at normal operating temp I decided to mash the gas. I was expecting a much more powerful acceleration but instead my car felt SLOWER!!! I couldn't believe it...and then I started to hear a ticking noise that got louder and louder and then finally very loud (exhaust noise) after 3K RPM. Needless to say I was very pissed off.

I pulled onto the line to the car wash and started to mess with my Apexi Neo to try to see if there is a way that I can see a reading that monitors backflow pressure in the exhaust. Somehow my dumbass must have hit something because all of a sudden my car stalls and will not start. Now I am very, very pissed off...this time at myself. I know I have to disconnect the Neo from my ECU because somehow I screwed up the previous tune. I had to divert people around me while I had to disconnect the power to my battery and disconnect the Neo harness from the ECU. I plugged the stock harness back into the ECU and re-connected the battery terminals.

Hoping that I didn't screw anything up the car started up and ran fine thankfully. I bagged the Neo harness under the hood and got the car washed. The ride home the car felt fine just loss of power (from the pre-header install days) and the loud exhaust noise. I am not able to pinpoint where it is coming from but I HOPE it is not a crack from the headers. I had two different mechanics inspect them before the install and they said the welding looks good and also verified that they were from the 2nd batch and newer. Hopefully something just got knocked loose and it is a simple fix.

As for my Neo, it is disconnected until I bring it back to the dyno shop (after this exhaust issue is fixed)...I had to get it re-tuned anyway since the header install. The previous tune probably wasn't effective and/or could have even been counterproductive with the addition of the headers. I will keep you guys posted on this.

This has been one of the days that makes me want to forget about modding for power ever again and buy something very fast out of the box. It makes me sick sometimes and stresses me out unnecessarily.

Quick Reply: Finally made the damn install appointment!