Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers for V8 cars, Please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 05:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.G
Seriously, I just feel you deserve an applause for having the tenacity and perseverance to accomplish a task that you emarked upon back in 2003 I believe!!

A small contribution I feel is the least I could do to give you well-do respect for your efforts- regardless the outcome of any performance gains!!

JB- check your paypal my friend!!
Thank you
Old 07-27-05, 05:06 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnny- I'm #8 on the list

ahh the D O C is #8

have you recieved yours yet ??

would like to see a fellow FI brother go thru this
Old 07-27-05, 05:43 PM
FastFlyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moderator edit: FF, please check your PM.

Originally Posted by jbrady
I do not understand your concern/frustration. I have addressed the heat shield situation multiple times including yet again just a couple of posts up.
Indeed, and I thank you for that. However, several days ago these same questions were asked with no response. Several responses were made however to those hijacking the thread.

I searched for the information before posting and did not find the answers. For example, a PM indicated the passenger side header would fit inside the GS heat shield, but no mention was ever made until recently about the driver's side. If I missed it somewhere I'm sorry.

Also, whether or not the manufacturer would be willing to try to fit the EGR flange on my set has not yet been addressed to my knowledge. Again, I'm sure he would need the passenger manifold from a '93 to even guess and I don't know if he does, and if so, if he would be willing to fit it on my header.

Again, I'm asking this here specifically because jbrady's PM instructed me to do so, and I don't see the answer anywhere. Forgive me if I'm blind and stupid.

If you guys don't know, I'll find out for myself. It's no sweat, been doing it all my life.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-27-05 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 06:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Guys just so you Know....... I have bought Headers before for 3 dirrerent cars. One I still currently own a Acura CL Type S and others including a Porsche. My friend has a Grand Prix GTP that he just modded with Headers and other things. Heres the point :
In no case was there any Heat sheild mounting brackets for the Factory heatsheilds to go back on the aftermarket Headers. . This is not a strange situation on theses Headers. On the V6 Acura Comptech $ 1200 Headers there was no Factory Heatsheild bracket to mount to.
If heatsheilds are a concern you are going to have to do a work around. This is a question you more need to direct to the person or shop that YOU are going to use to install YOUR Headers ! Thread is getting off next step of Performance gains test. I could go on about how off base this is again ( we got headers Yeah ! We got Heatsheid Dramma BOOOO ! ) but........... There are a Ton of Modded Cars in the street with Headers. Ask someone about a Test place or way to work around OK. Or ask them if they have the Factory Heatsheilds on their Headers. I never heard of such a thing. ( I'm putting on my Flame Retardant Suit right now )

Last edited by jgscott; 07-27-05 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 07:02 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a question but couldnt you use header wrap ?

edit

never mind

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp
Old 07-27-05, 07:06 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

As has been mentioned earlier, the ceramic (jet-hot, whatever other coating) DOES work amazingly well. I have used ceramic coatings on my racing vehicles. On my hi-perf snowmobile, the exhaust temps generally ranced from 1200-1400 degress. The ceramic coated exhaust reduced temps by 120 degrees! The industry accepted "rule" is for every 10 degrees you decrease temp, you increase HP by nearly 1%. The coatings work, and unless you have something sensitive sitting right on the header itself, I don't think there will be any heat issues per se by not using the heat shields. Anyone care to comment further?
Old 07-27-05, 07:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
As has been mentioned earlier, the ceramic (jet-hot, whatever other coating) DOES work amazingly well. I have used ceramic coatings on my racing vehicles. On my hi-perf snowmobile, the exhaust temps generally ranced from 1200-1400 degress. The ceramic coated exhaust reduced temps by 120 degrees! The industry accepted "rule" is for every 10 degrees you decrease temp, you increase HP by nearly 1%. The coatings work, and unless you have something sensitive sitting right on the header itself, I don't think there will be any heat issues per se by not using the heat shields. Anyone care to comment further?
I should have mentions this in my post above. Turbo cars make lots of Heat in Engine bay. After getting on A turbo car at Night if you pull over quickly open the hood and look at the Turbo you can see it still glowing Red still. They know all about heatsheiding Material. Ask a local built Turbo guy about Heat Material or call a High performace shop. Supra Forum can tell you where to get kinds of this stuff.

Last edited by jgscott; 07-27-05 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 07:33 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FastFlyer
Moderator edit: FF, please check your PM.

Indeed, and I thank you for that. However, several days ago these same questions were asked with no response. Several responses were made however to those hijacking the thread.

I searched for the information before posting and did not find the answers. For example, a PM indicated the passenger side header would fit inside the GS heat shield, but no mention was ever made until recently about the driver's side. If I missed it somewhere I'm sorry.

Also, whether or not the manufacturer would be willing to try to fit the EGR flange on my set has not yet been addressed to my knowledge. Again, I'm sure he would need the passenger manifold from a '93 to even guess and I don't know if he does, and if so, if he would be willing to fit it on my header.

Again, I'm asking this here specifically because jbrady's PM instructed me to do so, and I don't see the answer anywhere. Forgive me if I'm blind and stupid.

If you guys don't know, I'll find out for myself. It's no sweat, been doing it all my life.

Only 98-00 heat shields fit over the headers.

There are no provisions for mounting them.

The 1990-1997 EGR flange cannot be located in the stock location. Weld the available flange in the downpipe you will need to have made. As I addressed in the email to buyers, there is no absolute guarantee that these will fit in the early cars. They should but until they are tried we cannot know for certain.
Old 07-27-05, 09:05 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, I just feel you deserve an applause for having the tenacity and perseverance to accomplish a task that you emarked upon back in 2003 I believe!!

A small contribution I feel is the least I could do to give you well-do respect for your efforts- regardless the outcome of any performance gains!!

JB- check your paypal my friend!!

DITTO!!! a lil' somethin' extra has been sent for all your hard work.

I encourage others to do the same if you appreciate JB's efforts.
Old 07-27-05, 09:43 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BA_GS400
DITTO!!! a lil' somethin' extra has been sent for all your hard work.

I encourage others to do the same if you appreciate JB's efforts.
Thanks! You guys are great.
Old 07-27-05, 10:37 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
You guys are great. I was not asking but who am I to say no?

Anyone wishing to send something via paypal is welcome.

In fact I will send the first $75 of whatever is sent to gawd to help with the dyno run.

Paypal jebrady@ev1.net
Check paypal bro

Jonny
Old 07-28-05, 01:15 AM
gawd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GTFM
No way did you really ..more info on this please

After going to countless speed shops , I stumbled across a guy who hacked a Toyota OBDII. I'm hoping to buy/borrow an ECU from someone who went stand alone and we have the guy see if the guy can't take those two pesky options out

I'll start a new thread when the header and y pipe project are all wrapped up.
Old 07-28-05, 07:37 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default M5 next?

That is great this thing went through.

jbrady...do you think your guy would want to tackle an M5 header next? I'm pretty sure I could get the same level of commmitment. Our headers run about 3 grand!!

Can't wait to see a dyno!

Cheers.

Ryan
Old 07-28-05, 09:38 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
Check paypal bro

Jonny
Thank Jonny
Old 07-28-05, 09:41 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

In addition to the generosity of the above members additional thanks is due to DaveGS4 for not only getting this project approved with CL but also staying supportive the entire time AND for his latest help he has sponsored gawd's next dyno session!!!

Big thanks Dave

Quick Reply: Headers for V8 cars, Please read