Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replacing SC300 OEM radios

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 05:02 AM
Svenster12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing SC300 OEM radios

This will be the second time in 5-6 years, where my radio has died and I've used eBay to get a replacement. I recently bought an OEM radio that has the cd option in the trunk. Something I don't have. Will this work with my current/stock wiring? Or should I sell it and find one with only the cassette deck and no CD button on it?
Old 02-01-17, 06:21 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Welcome to the forum . Moving this to the right section .

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...intenance.html
Old 02-01-17, 09:33 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I didn't realize you could get one without the CD changer. Did those packages still have the "CD" button the head unit?

From what I've seen on these cars, and in general, all the wiring is in place even if not used. It's more efficient to do it that way. I would assume you've got the CD changer wiring there, but the easy test would be to pull back the right side trunk panel and see if there are a couple free connectors near the amp that fit what you'll find in pictures of the changer's inputs.
Old 02-16-17, 04:32 PM
Svenster12
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I gave up on the OEMs and bought a Sony to lip into my dash and looks decent. The plastic is a little more "shiny" than all the surrounding black factory plastic. I wired and soldered maticously per instructions, but nothing.
The big name supplier had somewhat decent instructions, but obviously not good enuf.
They provided a color-code for their wiring, but didn't jive with the female plug of the car. Can I pull out the wiring from within the original plug and move them around on the plastic coupler, so they lineup with the new pigtail, provided with the Sony?
They provided a cheat sheet for what each color wire goes to, but they sure didn't line up when I made the initial connection.
Old 02-17-17, 12:43 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Svenster12, did you follow the wiring instructions in this thread? It applies if you have an SC300/400 that originally came with a Pioneer head unit. You know your car has a Pioneer system when the only major logo on the OEM deck is "Lexus". The optional stereo this thread does not apply to is any SC that has a stereo with "Nakamichi" on the front face.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ead-units.html

Wiring diagrams from the aftermarket aren't generally accurate for our cars. We usually refer owners to that thread unless they have a Nakamichi equipped SC.

You can get the Metra harness to use as a means of wiring up your aftermarket stereo with a stock-like connector but it is NOT recommended you trust their wiring as-is. You'll still need to go through each and every pin if you choose to use it so that you make all its connections align with Raine's pinout guide and no one else's.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-17-17 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-17-17, 03:53 AM
Svenster12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the link and no, I hadn't seen it before. I did incorporate the original metal supports, so I could secure it to the two, very top, recessed screws. I feel better now, reading that the wires need to be re-pinned. Thank you.
Old 02-18-17, 11:40 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Svenster12
Thanks for the link and no, I hadn't seen it before. I did incorporate the original metal supports, so I could secure it to the two, very top, recessed screws. I feel better now, reading that the wires need to be re-pinned. Thank you.
Absolutely. Hope this works out for you!
Old 02-18-17, 04:58 PM
Svenster12
Driver School Candidate

I've been busy trying to repin the OEM female plugs to go with my new Sony unit. Had ordered a '92 SC300 electrical service manual, but hasn't arrived. The colors just don't jive and am gonna have quite a few that'll need to be taped unused.
Anyone know where to get the replacement male and female connectors that Lexus uses? Are they available from Lexus or do I gotta buy the harness(s) too?