Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Limp mode and blowing 150A fuses with very odd variables

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 06:26 PM
Sony1492
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode and blowing 150A fuses with very odd variables

Ive got a 1992 sc400 with a cd009.

The limp mode saga:
I bought it and it ran fine for about 1 month maybe 2 then began the limp mode issues(after 20 miles of driving the motor would cut out until it reached idle than would allow power modulation until 2500 rpm was exceeded at which point it cuts power again and the cycle repeats. The quick fix was to turn the car off and on at which point you got another 20 miles of limp free driving. This issue is accelerated by heat.) I swapped the ecu with one from my parts car and this worked fine for roughly one month, so I bought another off ebay, this one had limp mode issues right off the bat but I lived with it for a few months and eventually sent it in to be rebuilt. When I got it back the issue persisted.

The plot thickens;
Im driving along and the car does it so I turn it off, when I turn the key I get nothing, no fuel pump, no cluster lights, no chiming, no start. (There was a dull relay click that sounded like it was behind the motor or deep in the dash but Im not sure its relevent) Soon I notice the 150A fuse is blown, Ive got no money for a $250 tow so I push the two tabs togeather, chiming happens, cluster lights work, fuel pump works. I start the car and soon after doing so, the cluster lights turn off again and basically everything besides the motor stops working. I have a drive ahead of me that should put the car into limp mode at least twice, no limp mode happens. I put a 150A fuse in from my parts car and drive it a few times. On my third time driving it, it goes into limp mode after roughly 7 miles(far too soon) I turn it off and when I go to turn it on, nothing. Pop the hood and the 150A fuse that I installed the day before is blown. And that is the state of the car as of today, Ive got no clue how to solve this problem but all the variables are stated above. Also this is my only running car and its supposed to be getting me to and from college (120 miles a day 5 days a week) in one month.
Old 07-25-16, 09:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've got no suggestions, just a question or two: Did you add the M/T or was that done by a previous owner. If you did it, did the problems start after that? And if yes, that's where I would start looking.
Old 07-25-16, 09:56 PM
Sony1492
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I've got no suggestions, just a question or two: Did you add the M/T or was that done by a previous owner. If you did it, did the problems start after that? And if yes, that's where I would start looking.
I bought the car with this transmission. Ive got no knowledge of its history beside some signs that it had been sitting for a long time.
Old 07-25-16, 10:23 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Honeslty i've got an sc300 and if the harness is in the same place id check under the driver fender make sure its not rubbed up.. But otherwise look into what could cause limp mode and test from there is the only thing i can think of. If you can get a wiring diagram check what the 150 fuse powers.. if the old auto trans is on that diagram i'd look there like Sony1492 said.
Old 07-26-16, 10:39 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have heard that you need to keep the old auto solenoids connected even after swapping in a manual. Not 100% on the validity of it though...