Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stalled at 60 mph/turn swtch only on n off a few times and it starts..

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 08:29 AM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled at 60 mph/turn swtch only on n off a few times and it starts..

I did and still do have the problem of mt 1992 sc400 starting and stalling out in just a few seconds. This happens when its hot, now for the first tim it stalled out while I was driving at 60 mph. Im installing mods. even though this problem flares up every 5- 10 day. I thought the cold air intake and cutting the cats of along with a piggyback on the ecu fixed iut some how. I even changed the plugs which were in rough shape. The car ran soooooo much better...but then up did that stall at 60mph. monday5-21-12 im getting nitrous installed, I got that power bug I guess. What do you guys think might be the issue on the stalling when it seems to be a hot day, will it affect the nitrous or make it dangerous...im not a machanic for sure but like have a hobbie and now its my 92 sc400..lol
Attached Thumbnails Stalled at 60 mph/turn swtch only on n off a few times and it starts..-mysc400.jpg  

Last edited by pwashking; 05-20-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:36 AM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Default Stall cure for me

I forgot to mention that when I turn just the key on then off 4- 5 times whithout turning over the motor it will start and run like nothing happened..could that be a relay or somthing..hope its not the ecu or somthing major..on with the mods though..am I crazy for that ....nitrous is this week. Im like a kid in a candy store...

Last edited by pwashking; 05-20-12 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-20-12, 08:53 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ECU is going out or the fuel pump ecu, you are South Carolina so shipping your ECU to GA wouldn't be to much of a hassle. they will rebuild it for cheap. got mine done and cars runs like a charm again with it. (i had the same problem and it just got worse and worse until it would no longer start)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ptd/3018673939.html
Old 05-20-12, 09:03 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, if you are continuing to install/make performance mods despite the fact that you have yet to resolve your stalling issue, then that is just plain foolish. I will add that the only power you will see from installing nitrous BEFORE you get this resolved is foolishness to the tenth power.

What is your engine temperature when it stalls?

Perhaps your clutch fan is failing to keep the car cool enough to run at these speeds?

Are you running electric fans? Are they installed correctly? PULLING versus PUSHING the air through the radiator?

Is your engine temp sensor failing?

Are you getting an error code?

If you can't answer any of these simple questions, then you have no business installing nitrous on your setup at this stage.
Old 05-20-12, 09:04 AM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Default what was the cost

thanks man, I think i'm getting ahead of myself w/ the nitrous coming in mon. what do u think
Old 05-20-12, 09:07 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Originally Posted by pwashking
thanks man, I think i'm getting ahead of myself w/ the nitrous coming in mon. what do u think
Gee, you think?
Old 05-20-12, 09:13 AM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Default engine temp is fine

engine light dont ever come on and temp gauge is below half , the reason I keep doing these mods is that it happens so for between I thougt the ecu piggyback fixed it some hoe and the the plugs were so bad where the white part was accually melted.. that the new plugs were the problem..some one said it was a relay and by turning just the switch on and off compirmed that for him..I'm no mechanich for sure and that for all the input. i've searched alot. and the guys are going to check the issues. before installing the nitrous..has one other machanic said it was between the ecu and the maf...how much when you sent you ecu off...$$
Old 05-20-12, 09:36 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Your problem could be any of the following:

- camshaft position sensor (there are 2)
- crankshaft position sensor (also known as CAS, crank angle position sensor)
- mass air flow (MAF) sensor
- engine coolant temp sensor (ECT)
- throttle position sensor (TPS)
- fuel pressure regulator (FPR)

Any of these sensors can be going bad.
Old 05-20-12, 09:40 AM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help