Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hydrogen On Demand for better fuel economy and increased power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 03:05 PM
Brucelee28
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hydrogen On Demand for better fuel economy and increased power?

Has anyone done a HOD (Hydrogen On Demand) conversion on our cars and if so what possible kits can be used? I've seen a lot of people whom have done the conversion have had a dramatic increase in fuel economy and power. I know that from a safety stand point that it's much more safer then storing hydrogen if anything were to happen since it's on demand. I was just wondering if anyone out there can chime in on the subject, put in your thoughts and maybe this is something we can all do for something inexpensively. I've seen a video on youtube where a guy has an SR20DET motor on a 240 running the HHO converted gas from the system right into the intake system right after the filter and before the MAF or MAP sensor. I guess it's suppose to increase the combustion chamber to burn all the fuel instead of letting the wasted gas be unburned. I'm really curious and interested in this idea. Let's here your thoughts.

What All The Big Oil Companies Don't Want You To Know- Follow Up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kry...ature=youtu.be
SR20DET Hydrogen On Demand Hybrid:

Last edited by Brucelee28; 07-21-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 10:11 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Even if that device worked, hydrogen isn't a great power adder. BMW marketed a hydrogen version of their 750i V-12 back in 2007. It produced 260 hp. compared to 438hp for the gasoline version.
Old 07-21-16, 10:16 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Snake oil.
Old 07-21-16, 10:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I heard about this for years and looked into it recently (HHO systems). It's snake oil garbage at best and if badly set up could also damage your engine. Most likely it will just cost you a lot of money and do nothing. It's not good for anything and is VERY different from the hydrogen internal combustion engines that BMW and Mazda developed. Hydrogen in appreciable quantities takes considerably more energy than this to create. It takes a great deal more of it to actually be a combustible fuel source than what these "on demand" garbage systems create.

Currently due to how much energy it takes to create, hydrogen in tanks is better as a long term energy storage medium rather than a rapid use vehicle fuel source.

HHO conversion kits are neat science projects but they're going to do nothing for your car.

You'll do much better with a turbocharged 2JZ engine and a *very* (very!) carefully tuned AEM water or methanol injection system. Done right that can reduce detonation but will not add any power and especially won't increase your fuel economy. BMW has a limited edition 2016 M3/M4 out now with a factory water injection system.

Sorry Brucelee28. It's just a scam some people market to get people's money.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-21-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 10:29 PM
Brucelee28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitabel
The extra power is slightly less than the amperage needed for the electrolysis (advantage of stored hydrogen: doesn't use your engine to convert water). Your alternator is providing the power.
It's yet another perpetual motion idea.
Ricardo did some interesting research around 1920 using hydrogen as an anti-detonant for extremely lean mixture (the mileage came from the mixture, not the hydrogen), but the engine was nothing like ours.
The basic wet cell in the video is interesting, but I've been doing further research and that the dry cell has been doing better in increasing efficiency. You're totally right that the amperage being used for electrolysis has a direct correlation on how effecitive the system works. But the cost of pouring just distilled water with like a teaspoon of baking soda cost outweighs the the extra 30 amperage offset the alternator can put out I'd might be incline to buy a low end kit and see if this all works. I'm pretty sure with the increase in H2 in the system that it will help ignite the fuel a lot better.

So I found this company called Aquatune (http://www.aquatune.com/index.php), an advance precise efficient kit that barely uses any space and has a lower amperage. The kit looks very well thought out and seems to have a more sleek clean design. It also has a nice anodized purple finish. There's a video on youtube where the guys uses this kit on a lower powered Honda Insight which has a tiny 1.6 liter engine I believe and the system only needed 2.5 liter of H2 per min to produce enough for the engine to have enough efficiency to make an driving improvement. I mean Totyota has the new fuel cell car which hones in on the same idea except they have a hydrogen tank and use an addition electric motor. That maybe be more future proof then the basic design here but the risk of a tank leaking and sitting under the car frankly doesn't make me feel confident. I like the idea that if something breaks that it's just water, and with a back pressure safety relief valve that system now have implemented I don't see the big risk anymore.
Old 07-21-16, 10:59 PM
Brucelee28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Photon440
Even if that device worked, hydrogen isn't a great power adder. BMW marketed a hydrogen version of their 750i V-12 back in 2007. It produced 260 hp. compared to 438hp for the gasoline version.
I just looked at that BMW 750i V-12 and they actually store hydrogen in on separate tank which is something I'm not interested in. Their system actually combust hydrogen by itself if you choose too or with conjunction with the gasoline. I'm interested in something that is more in conjunction with the existing gasoline system and not the alternative fuel source. The way HOD is set up is that H2 as a gas enters into where you're intake air comes in. It can either flow through there anywhere before or after the MAP or MAF sensors, and sometimes directly onto the intake manifold itself. The idea is for a cleaner more explosive combustion. Gasoline engine by itself are highly inefficient and they don't burn their excess gasoline. There's always wasted fuel. Just look at all our turbo cars running rich just to be safe. It's not burning completely. The reason it doesn't burn is because gasoline by itself only burns anywhere between 30-70% efficiently and we have to dump more fuel just to get it to combust more. H2 is highly flammable and it's cheap to make. The alternator is really just sitting there waiting to be really used. We rarely use the alternator to it's full potential anyways, why not get more out of it. 80 amp alternator, our cars probably only use 55 amp at almost full load. There' s buffer of about 15-20 amps in case our car needs it. I have a 100 supra tt amp, which I would like to use since it's not really doing much but make the minimum load.

Last edited by Brucelee28; 07-21-16 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 11:13 PM
Brucelee28
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I heard about this for years and looked into it recently (HHO systems). It's snake oil garbage at best and if badly set up could also damage your engine. Most likely it will just cost you a lot of money and do nothing. It's not good for anything and is VERY different from the hydrogen internal combustion engines that BMW and Mazda developed. Hydrogen in appreciable quantities takes considerably more energy than this to create. It takes a great deal more of it to actually be a combustible fuel source than what these "on demand" garbage systems create.

Currently due to how much energy it takes to create, hydrogen in tanks is better as a long term energy storage medium rather than a rapid use vehicle fuel source.

HHO conversion kits are neat science projects but they're going to do nothing for your car.

You'll do much better with a turbocharged 2JZ engine and a *very* (very!) carefully tuned AEM water or methanol injection system. Done right that can reduce detonation but will not add any power and especially won't increase your fuel economy. BMW has a limited edition 2016 M3/M4 out now with a factory water injection system.

Sorry Brucelee28. It's just a scam some people market to get people's money.
Yeah I might just experiment with a small kit. Nobody in the sc community hasn't tried one yet so I'm really curious. I also am curious to see how it would do on a turbo application with a carefully tuned engine and aftermarket ecu. Def a project I wanna do, and see how well it works. I mean if just water injection and meth works. The same concept does work just with a slightly different chemical in play. It's something someone will have to do to justify its means, otherwise this is all just thoughts of me doing so. It's rather interesting though to look at because I've been doing tons a research on it lately and before the system lacked a lot of fail safe mechanisms and designs have improved. People seem to be getting results. It seems just like claims, but it makes me wonder that if people seem to be getting better then perhaps it does work. It's just the skepticism some people have that it does deter the idea at all. I wish there was someone that has actually tried it then it would break my optimism of the idea it even has a chance. Dam hope! haha.
Old 07-26-16, 09:30 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This assumes to work on the idea that not all fuel is burnt in the combustion chamber, which is kind of true, but not in the quantities they mention. Some HHO sales material says 30%, some says 70%, but in general it's more like high 90's, if not in the 99% area. So, at worst 5% lost to not being burnt, more likely 1% or less. Especially in modern cars.

Now, interestingly enough, 1UZFE's do run rich. But, why doesn't it all get burnt? It takes oxygen to burn the fuel, adding hydrogen doesn't fix that. Now, this is a hydrogen/oxygen mix, so that should help, right? Yeah, not enough to make a difference in the quantities it's being delivered in. This is what NOS does, but Nitrous Oxide is a mix of oxygen and nitrogen. The mix is delivered as a liquid and vastly reduces the intake temperature as it evaporates in to a gas, which also increases the density of the air pulled in to the combustion chamber in addition to the oxygenating properties. The Hydrogen system does contain some oxygen, but it's not cold, and doesn't increase the density.

Basically, it's not a whole lot different than introducing very small amounts of an already warmed and very low pressure nitrous oxide gas (not liquid) mix.