Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97 1JZ starting issue...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 02:46 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 1JZ starting issue...

Well, im pretty much stumped on this one....

first wired up the NSS bypass in Biggu's thread, nothing happend though. removed the wire and plugged in the starter relay and WTF the starter engages!

digging through the wiring, somehow it's getting 12V to the relay even with the ignition switch off. Removing the theft deterent ECU stops the cranking problem (the other side of the relay gets grounded through the theft ECU) but the car can't start without it...so im basically stuck

found this post a while back, but didn't fix my problem: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2015272-post12.html

95+ seems to have this problem, i see a lot of guys just wire in a push button start, but i'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Is there a solution to all this?
Old 04-20-10, 12:45 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

i am currently experiancing the same issue but im working on it ill let you know if i come up with a fix
Old 04-20-10, 04:34 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer479
i am currently experiancing the same issue but im working on it ill let you know if i come up with a fix
thnx, but i think i may have a solution along with the 3k problem at the same time while still retaining the stock neutral safety switch..........i need to get the car actually running first to confirm my suspicions, so stay tuned

Last edited by StiCk3; 04-20-10 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 04:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

mine did that randomly the other day, was cranking with the key removed. on an aem.
I had to yank the battery terminal, and everytime i reconnected it would start cranking again with no key in. if I put the key in it would start up and stop cranking, remove, same as before. I played with the relay, the battery terminals, and i decided to put the key in and turn it like I was trying to crank it while it was cranking itself and something magical happened and it started working like normal again. sorry for the long response but I have no idea what exactly "fixed it", but it eventually went away.
Old 04-20-10, 07:01 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

this i think is a prob on the Auto ECU being mated to a manual car. one of the pins is getting 12V to the starter relay, no key no nothing. Every time i would hook up the battery it would turn over on its own. I need to do some more research and experimenting first, will update this tomorrow when i work on the car
Old 04-21-10, 08:00 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

**UPDATE**

i have the car cranking properly now, not close to running yet though. Im still hesitant about releasing details ATM, but if anyone is willing to be a test subject, PM me and i'll send you details. I'll have a full write up once my car is up and running.
Old 04-23-10, 07:27 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

im pretty sure it has nothing to do with having an auto ecu, as im currently running a manual ecu in my swap and having the same issue. id be willing to test something out for ya if you have some good ideas
Old 04-23-10, 03:32 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soarer479
im pretty sure it has nothing to do with having an auto ecu, as im currently running a manual ecu in my swap and having the same issue. id be willing to test something out for ya if you have some good ideas
idk about that, but i'll walk you through how i diagnosed my problem. PM me when you get a chance
Old 04-23-10, 05:07 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
idk about that, but i'll walk you through how i diagnosed my problem. PM me when you get a chance
not quite sure what your experiencing, but I use an auto ecu and manual tranny all I did was find the wire directly off of the ignition that sends power when cranked and ran it from the connector all the way to my start relay in the engine bay fuse box bypassing all the ecu safety switches its easy, and simple.. dont know if this helps..
Old 04-23-10, 05:24 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shonuff53
not quite sure what your experiencing, but I use an auto ecu and manual tranny all I did was find the wire directly off of the ignition that sends power when cranked and ran it from the connector all the way to my start relay in the engine bay fuse box bypassing all the ecu safety switches its easy, and simple.. dont know if this helps..
i got mine figured out thanks, but i want to be 1000% sure before i release this info. I think it's a problem with the 95+ SCs and it is related to the 3K revving issue as well.
Old 05-04-10, 06:19 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

well,...so Whats the Deal?

Every Thread on this Board (SC 300/400) that has anything to do with a problem ends with Nothing.I can Count at-least 7 threads.
*3 alone on the sputtering Issue and it was Never answered.

any update?
Old 05-04-10, 07:39 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFairlady
well,...so Whats the Deal?

Every Thread on this Board (SC 300/400) that has anything to do with a problem ends with Nothing.I can Count at-least 7 threads.
*3 alone on the sputtering Issue and it was Never answered.

any update?
What are you talking about.

Here's a sputtering issue thread solved.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ing-issue.html
Old 05-04-10, 07:51 PM
MrFairlady
Driver

well that helped that particular person,..but not the other 4-5+ threads.
1 guys issues was cutting 1 blk unknown wire. never stated exact or wgat it was.
1 guys issue was his tach signal due to dead rpm gauge
1 guys issue was ignitor
the rest never completed the threads...trust me i just read through a ton, so i have some ammo when i crank mine soon.

but what about the starting issue? thats what this thread is about and...."dun,dun daaaa" = incomplete.
Old 05-05-10, 04:57 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

im still a little hestitant about posting ATM, but PM me and i can walk you through what i went through. Give me your setup as well (year of SC along with 1JZ auto or manual ECU.