Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 06:45 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for a sick project that has been inspiring.
Old 05-14-08, 02:37 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Bump for a sick project that has been inspiring.
Thanks.

Haven't seen you around much lately, how's your FI planning going?

KC
Old 05-14-08, 05:33 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Thanks.

Haven't seen you around much lately, how's your FI planning going?

KC
Slowly, been busy. You know how that goes. Ill be back
Old 05-14-08, 06:12 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Slowly, been busy. You know how that goes. Ill be back
Can't wait!

KC
Old 05-25-08, 07:43 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Couple of updates.

Some things I've done recently..

I decided to take the intercooler out again, the car is so much more fun to drive without it. I really don't think the temps I'm seeing will be a problem, even on the hottest summer day. There is only a 20-25 degree difference in temps without it. If 25 degrees is going to blow up my motor than I am likely way to close to the edge of destruction anyway. Plus, I made a little more rwhp and rwtq on the dyno without it.

I replaced the spare tire with a can of fix a flat. I also re re located my battery to the spare tire well, along with my subwoofer amp. I really like the setup, I'll try to take some pictures later.

I removed the cruise control and the charcol canister. The cruise control can be installed and removed in a matter of minutes so I can easily put it back in if I go on a long trip. The charcol canister has been disconnected for awhile now and is actually pretty heavy.

Couple of things coming up...

I purchased a set of used Supra TT struts. I've had some swift springs for awhile now. Working on ordering some mounts.

My rear diff mounts are busted. I've ordered new ones.

I'm planning on installing a TRD thermostat. If anyone knows the part number it would be very helpful.

I'm likely going to get that one smaller size pulley.

Khris
Old 05-25-08, 08:04 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Vid showing my traction problem. This is a crappy vid but you can hear my tires start spinning at around 2000 rpm. This is with very little throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKrswZjZhAQ

KC
Old 05-25-08, 11:24 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey KC, have you tried a different intercooler? I know this might sound stupid, but your intercooler might be too big for your boost levels. If you cannot fill the intercooler veins quick enough, it might be why it feels slower. Have you tried to swap it for like a SRT-4 or and EVO 8 IC?? That might make it a bit better.

Or big IC piping could also kill it, too big of pipe, and not enough air causes a BIG loss in velocity.

Just something to ponder about
Old 05-26-08, 04:33 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Hey KC, have you tried a different intercooler? I know this might sound stupid, but your intercooler might be too big for your boost levels. If you cannot fill the intercooler veins quick enough, it might be why it feels slower. Have you tried to swap it for like a SRT-4 or and EVO 8 IC?? That might make it a bit better.

Or big IC piping could also kill it, too big of pipe, and not enough air causes a BIG loss in velocity.

Just something to ponder about

A air to air is just hinders a supercharger setup IMO. Unless your running a ridiculous amount of boost. Water exchange is the way to go if your going to need a IC but in his setup its really not needed.
Old 05-26-08, 05:58 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizted
A air to air is just hinders a supercharger setup IMO. Unless your running a ridiculous amount of boost. Water exchange is the way to go if your going to need a IC but in his setup its really not needed.
I agree, I don't think it's needed with my setup. With 9-10 psi my temps are roughly 55 degrees above ambient. If we were talking 100+ degrees above ambient, then I'd be worried. Also, with the intercooler, the difference on average is about 20 degrees. That's not a HUGE reduction compared to non intercooled.

If I do have problems, there is a few things I could do fairly easily. I installed a 170 thermostat today, should help keep combustion temps down some. I went with a stant thermostat, cost me $17 dollars with a gasket versus $113 for a TRD thermostat shipped from Carson Toyota without a gasket. I've been playing with the idea of using a dryer vent type tube to scoop up cold air to blow directly onto the supercharger. I could also put an oil cooler on the feed line to the supercharger. There are possibilities.

I also think my readings are affected by heat soak, the piping gets quite hot. The pipe in the bumper area is cool to the touch, the pipe going to the bypass valve is cool to the touch, the pipe that the bypass is installed into is a bit warmer but still pretty cool to the touch, the pipe directly above the passenger side head and right before the throttle body (the IAT is installed into this pipe BTW) is hot to the touch after a drive.

Anyway, I don't think I'll have any problems. The thermostat has made a difference, the in dash gauge reads a bit lower, which I wasn't expecting. I also think removing the cruise control had made a difference, better airflow to the passenger side of the motor.

BTW, twizted, go here and enter your info if you don't mind...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=356684

KC
Old 05-26-08, 07:56 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Hey. Ive been contemplating this. Scrapping the intercooler idea and going with a water/meth setup. Like a few hundred initially for the whole kit and then just water and pure windshield wiper fluid with every gas tank fill up.

It would cut down temps drastically and would eliminate the want for an intercooler, no? As much as I wanted to stick a sweet FMIC on the car, your right about the supercharger and the intercooler affecting eachother. Shorter piping with something to cool it down. Like say have a 3-4psi switch on it ya know?

Opinions?
Old 05-26-08, 08:18 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey. Ive been contemplating this. Scrapping the intercooler idea and going with a water/meth setup. Like a few hundred initially for the whole kit and then just water and pure windshield wiper fluid with every gas tank fill up.

It would cut down temps drastically and would eliminate the want for an intercooler, no? As much as I wanted to stick a sweet FMIC on the car, your right about the supercharger and the intercooler affecting eachother. Shorter piping with something to cool it down. Like say have a 3-4psi switch on it ya know?

Opinions?

Ive been debating a meth setup as well, they say it doesn't actually cool the charge but provides better optimization. Does that sound right? Maybe ill try it out and see...
Old 05-26-08, 08:22 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Opinions?
Would work great, no doubt. A little more than I want to get into personally.

But with water injection, you could go from the supercharger straight into the throttle body using the shortest distance possible. If you remember, I tried it once (without water though), best setup as far as boost and boost response.

I have been wondering if the EGR intake port would be a good place to squirt water or NOS.

KC
Old 05-26-08, 08:31 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twizted
Ive been debating a meth setup as well, they say it doesn't actually cool the charge but provides better optimization. Does that sound right? Maybe ill try it out and see...
Atomization? I imagine it would cool the charge down some...but I'm not an expert. I don't know much about NOS either but I've heard of people spraying it into an intercooler to add power and cool the charge.

Do you have any idea what your temps were with the M90?

KC
Old 05-26-08, 08:33 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe I will check it out, I have a Aquamist set up setting out in the shop I was intending on installing, just havent had time to throw it on.
Old 05-26-08, 08:50 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Well from what I heard it is supposed to really cut down intake temps. It makes sense really, but Scott, if your into it, install it! Should be nothing but good from it.

KC - I just looked through your thread about the piping and thats what made me think about water more now. Shortest piping possible counter-acted with water/meth... should really help out in temps. In turn, running more boost is less scary.

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects