Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 01:51 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help! Ideas!

Ok, so I've changed my setup quite a few times and I'm not sure which is best.

Before I go into a whole lot of details on the different setups...when I had removed all the piping to run the above pictured setup, I had found some blockage in the pipes from the SC to the IC. I'd rather not say what it was (too embarrassing) but I assure you it was significant.

Without the intercooler (above setup) my temps averaged 50-60 degrees above ambient temps. Add another 15+- degrees with 6-7 psi. Drivability was great. I had seen 10+ psi on accident at one point. I don't think fuel was an issue but I really didn't see what the AFR was when I hit the 10psi. No problems, keep in mind the ambient temps have been from 50-60 degrees lately.

My ONLY concern with the setup is the high temps. More worried about what they will be in the summer. Otherwise, drivability and throttle response are awesome. Boost very easy to achieve. From everything I have read, 50-60 degrees above ambient is not bad at all. I've seen some people saying that they see temps upwards of 200 degrees above ambient. Do keep in mind that my temps are measured right before the throttle body, not in the manifold, which likely has higher temps.

With the intercooler re-installed....my temps average a mere 12 degrees above ambient. Throttle response doesn't suffer very much. And on a test drive I made 8-9psi. Boost response is slower, boost is harder to achieve. Here's the biggest problem, drivability suffers quite a bit. With the IC and all the piping, the AFR surges rich while coasting. Without the IC, the fuel cut seemed to work great. The shift patterns of the transmission seem to change, for the worse. Without fuel compensation, the AFR is pig rich with boost.

I am very torn on this whole thing. I really preferred the non IC setup as far as drivability, but I was always worried about what the temps were. Plus concerned about what the temps will be in the summer.

Another thing to note, with the non IC setup, my temp sensor was installed into some of the metal piping before the throttle body. With my current IC setup, it's installed into plastic. Heat soak MIGHT be affecting the readings of the non IC setup.

Please, if anyone has any input, suggestions, experience...please let me know. I'm thinking about going back to the non IC setup because the car is more fun to drive.

Thanks,

KC
Old 01-12-08, 02:06 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KC,

Great job! You can solve your dilema by using thermo sleeves on your intake to protect heat from the radiator and your hot engine. That way you can have better response and thermo protection too.
Old 01-27-08, 10:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update

Guys, long time no post.

So I have probably tried more IC and non IC supercharged setups on the Lexus SC400 than anybody on the planet.

1. There's my original IC setup.
2. My original IC setup with a 2.5 inch straight pipe in place of the IC.
3. Non intercooled setup with 2.5 inch all the way to the MAF.
4. Non intercooled setup with 3.0 inch all the way to the MAF.
5. Various non intercooled setups with the 2.5 to 3.0 inch transition being in different places.
6. Probably a few others that are now a blur.

Anyway, I think I've finally settled on a setup! Right now I am running with the IC but, a bit differently than I was originally.

My current setup is like this (sorry, no pics yet) - the supercharger outlet is pointed towards the driver's side. From the outlet, 2.5 inch pipe turns towards the front of the car, runs under the headlight and then turns towards the passenger side of the car. The pipe continues through the AC lines for the reciever / drier, over the frame rail, into the IC. The IC is turned upside down from my original setup, the inlet and outlets are on the top. From the IC outlet, 2.5 inch pipe runs under the passenger side headlight and makes a turn towards the rear of the car. Directly after the headlight, the piping changes to 3.0 inch and goes to the MAF. I have the factory plastic intake (modded, the air chamber is removed) from the MAF to the throttle body.

Don't know if that makes any sense, but I like the setup.

I still have a few improvements to make to it. All my piping has been hacked from all the different setups I've tried, so this current setup is kind of thrown together. I am planning on ordering some more pipes and a few other bits that will improve it. I am confident that the changes I plan on making will make it even more awesome.

There is a significant reduction in piping with this setup compared to my original IC setup. I tightened my throttle cable a bit and throttle response is not an issue in the slightest. I am seeing on average, without boost, 20 degrees over ambient. Compared to 15 degrees with my original IC setup and 60-70 degrees with the non IC setups. I also still have the cold air K@N setup. I am also currently seeing 9 or so psi fairly easily without any signs of running out of fuel, using the MAFTPro to ensure my AFR stays where I want it with boost.

I will take some pics once I get my new piping and clean it all up a bit.

I've been driving the car about a week or so with this IC setup, and I think that overall, this is the best one I've tried. There are some drawbacks with the IC and all the piping, the non IC setups were a little more fun to drive, but I was constantly worried about my intake temps, which took away that little extra fun.

KC
Old 01-27-08, 11:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Vids!!!

Mark (Blizzy) and I have been supporting each other with our projects for a while now. Now that I am finally confident in my cars capabilities, I decided to make some vids to clock my 0-60 and 45-65 times in the way that he has.

In case you've missed Blizzy's thread.. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hlight=madness

I am very happy with the results so far. I am consistenly seeing 5's for 0-60. I did have 2 runs were I was in the 4.8 second range. I think with some more practice launching , I could get down a bit lower even. I also think that there is some time to shed with a proper bov / bypass setup and with the improvements I plan to make to my current IC setup.

On to the vids.

This is a 5.07 second run..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nC7a-TpcSXc

A 5.13 second run..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4hhUrUET0

And just for fun, a 6.47 second run with the tires spinning all the way up to the 1-2 shift. When it shifted to second, the car was at about a 30 degree angle to the driver's side of my intended straight line.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QdsU3Nvs3ZY

I am super excited to be in the 5 second bracket. Let me know what you guys think.

Also, I did one vid doing a 45-65 run and the time was about 2.5 seconds! The quality of the vid is poor, so I'll try and make another later to post.

KC

Last edited by KC95SC400; 01-27-08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 11:45 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice! It looks like it picks up a bit late in the RPM band. I take it that turbo bob couldn't figure out the speed density eh?
Old 01-28-08, 09:50 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
nice! It looks like it picks up a bit late in the RPM band. I take it that turbo bob couldn't figure out the speed density eh?
Watching the videos, it does seem to pick up quite a bit after 3000rpm. Going by the butt dyno, the most noticeable change is in the low and mid range. If you watch the boost gauge in the one vid, you can see that there is a bit of compressor surge between the 1-2 shift, the needle flutters for a second. The surge makes the engine stumble a bit and the shift takes forever, I think a BOV or bypass would help.

I am not currently running using SD. Once I finally decide on an IC / intake setup and my car is running it's best, I will expirement with it more. TurboBob has requested that I make some more logs for him and I have yet to do so. There is another guy on the MAFTPRO forum that has a Hyundai Tiburon, he's having many of the same problems as I am. I think it just takes alot of tweaking on both ends (TurboBob's and mine) to get it right.

I hope to make a few more vids later today.

KC
Old 01-28-08, 02:48 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default New vid

This is one I should have made a long time ago.

I tried to show my current IC setup. This is what I'm going to stick with, just need to clean it all up a bit. Once I have the IC and piping cleaned up, I'll clean up the rest of the engine bay.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3L56h77uO3Q

Still hope to make a few driving vids later.

KC

Last edited by KC95SC400; 01-29-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-28-08, 06:13 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

This has to be the coolest thread I've read to date! I love what you've done (and how fast!) with your SC, KC. Kudos!
Old 01-28-08, 08:01 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KC...wow!

That sounds amazing. That looks amazing. The videos give a great impression of the speed of the car.

4.8s/2.5s for the 0-60/45-65 is on par with the factory big boys coming off the lot in 08: the M3, CTS-V, etc. Those times are awesome. And, your car sounds so good to boot: holy smokes.

Obviously I am a fan of this build, having been behind you through PM conversation every step of the way, but seeing the monster you have created in action has really motivated me. I am definitely going to have to come down to North Carolina once I am built up this summer (as I am off without any classes to teach) so that we can rule the roadways in our SC's.

Great job man. The car looks great and sounds amazing. The results speak for themselves.
Old 01-28-08, 08:51 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

The car sounds fantastic and perfect idle too. The supercharger sounds really nice too. Absolutely awesome job buddy. Blizzy you are next....LOL The charger sits very nice at the bettery location and lover your intake pipe.
Old 01-29-08, 05:41 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow how did I mess this thread. Very nice work.
Old 01-29-08, 07:16 AM
gunluvS14
Driver School Candidate

wow, great job
Old 01-29-08, 09:11 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Blizzy's car is going to make mine look like a Pinto. His car is going to be super awesome.

I will try and take more vids soon.

KC
Old 02-05-08, 09:33 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Guys,

This weekend I'm going to fix my piping and hopefully make a few more vids to share. Keep an eye out!

KC
Old 02-06-08, 05:38 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant wait

Quick Reply: Boosting my 95SC4 and some other projects