Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

rate your dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 08:01 PM
compcond
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased IS300 4 weeks ago from Longo.

No experience yet (1K service is next week).

Keyes Lexus is very close but got screwed over sooo badly by Keyes Audi, I'd put up with almost anything Longo could throw at me.

High hopes though... purchase experience was great.
Old 11-08-02, 08:32 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

This thread was brought back from the grave, huh?? Well, last year when I posted I remember saying that Lexus of Greenwich wasn't worth crap, but since then I became friends with almost everyone there and now I have a change of heart... If you live in Southern CT Lexus of Greenwich is the ONLY place to go... Tell then that Mike with the Silver GS sent you...
Old 11-09-02, 12:56 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by lex430
Can a mod make this thread a sticky? I think it contains great info here for references
There you go!

DD
Old 11-14-02, 03:40 PM
ruze
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus in NJ

I just bought a 99 LS400 and boy am I looking for a good service dept in NJ. I went to

Lawrence Lexus, Lawrenceville NJ
Stars: **1/2 (2.5)
Would you recommend this service/parts dept? Maybe
Service advisor/contact: Scott Cirillo

Their attitude was curteous, but when it came to basics like a loaner car they said 'our loaner cars are only if you purchase the car here'. It got snootier when they learned I bought it from a private individual. I took it in for a warranty fix on the VSC check engine light and they diagnosed that the tires were nearly bald too, but still insisted I pick up the car that night even after I mentioned that it might not be that safe driving it home. (I have new tires on order).

But the real kicker: their prices. $360 for the 15K mile service. $315 for front brakes, $315 for rear. And they said they'd charge me $88 for looking at the car (for the warranty fix) unless I did all that stuff with them!

I understand dealers are in it to make a profit, but I expected something less blatant after all I've heard about Lexus service. But they were curteous, at least, while refusing me a loaner (and they *****ed about the ride to work, too, saying the driver is only available at certain times - the driver implied they had plenty of loaner cars on the trip).

I'd like to find something better, even an indy mechanic!!! If it wasn't for the warranty repair, I wouldn't be going back.

I had my wife call this other one this morning:

Ray Catena Lexus, Oakhurst NJ
Stars: * (1)
Would you recommend this service/parts dept? No
Service advisor/contact: don't know

They were rude on the phone! They insisted there would have to be a charge for the diagnostic for the warranty work, and said we would have to perform both the 15K and 20K mile services (is there a 20K mile service??) for $250 and $150 each if we brought it in. Nice little strong arm tactics that make me sure I'm never going to go there.

I read a good review about Englewood Lexus in this thread, but that's rather far away... still, may be worth going there.
Old 11-14-02, 03:59 PM
compcond
Driver School Candidate

As a new Lexus owner, but a recently former Audi owner, here's my 2 cents:

$360 for the 15k service is a bargain; you don't want to know what Audi charges! $315 per axle sounds about right, considering you're talking about OEM brakes on a $50,000 car. You also didn't state whether that was just pads or also included rotor work. A Hyundai might cost less.

They should not have charged you for diagnosing a warranted item. I don't know Lexus's's's policy but Audi only covered a loan car on warranty repairs that took over 24 hours to complete; anything beyond that was at the discretion of the dealer who also bore the cost. It's understandable that they wouldn't provide one if you didn't buy the car from them.

I thought the big service was 15k and 20 was an oil change. If they wanted to do both, it sounds like more than your crank case needs lube.
Old 11-14-02, 04:08 PM
ruze
Driver School Candidate

Being a current BMW owner, I understand that you're inured to the prices with your Audi. But it's apples and oranges. The OEM brake pads themselves cost about $80 for all 4. This is just pad work. I have also looked at the list of work for the 15K mile service and it's nothing substantive.

Of course, I also have my own indy Bimmer mechanic now. ;-)

I bought Lexus so I could a) get something more reliable and b) stop being ripped off. the solution to (b) seems to be universally, don't go to the dealer. I just think it's probably easier to find an Indy mechanic that does Lexus because the components seem a lot easier to work with than proprietary German components.
Old 11-19-02, 04:45 PM
njes300
Pole Position

Ruze

Take your car to Warnock lexus . After reading all the post about service and my personal experience I would not take my car to any other lexus dealer . I have a 97 ES and I got the follwoing done there .

1. front struts 1/00 . Cost me 0 covered under warranty also had a Jeep SUV loaner for the day
2. Trans service done 2/02 . Cost me $110 and had a 02 es300 for the day
3. Valve seals done 8/02. Cost me $0 and had a loaner for not lie ....2 weeks .

Allthe other service (brakes,oil changes etc etc i get from local toyota dealer)

and all the times i took my car in fro service it was returned clean . I highly recommend them . Service advisor name is Miles .
They give you a loaner for almost anything you have done .
Old 12-01-02, 11:47 PM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Hoy-Fox Lexus of El Paso, TX

I'd like to see some more reviews of Hoy-Fox, since I've only been there one time. Here's my rating:

Dealer: Hoy-Fox Toyota/Lexus El Paso, Texas
Rating: 4 stars (so far)
Would you recommend this service/parts dept? Yes!!
Your service advisor: Cindy Amador

Comments: I bought my '96 ES300 at a used car lot in Alamogordo, NM. No Lexus dealer here, and the Toyota dealer, Desert Sun Motors is very sleazy, so I had my 70k service done at Hoy-Fox. My initial contact was with Cindy Amador, but I somehow got switched over to a guy named Rich. I switched myself back to Cindy, since she seemed genuinely concerned with my satisfaction whereas Rich seemed a bit hard to communicate with. Anyway, Cindy was excellent.

Pricing: The 70k service was basically a bunch of inspections, an oil/filter change, and tire rotation. I also had them replace a blown door speaker. They charged $103 for the scheduled service, $79.95 for a 4-wheel alignment I requested, and an outrageously high $245.42 for the speaker replacement. It was $185.68 (!) for the driver and $60 for the labor.

They did a good job on everything. They have a very nice Lexus section. Clean, comfortable and friendly, with donuts and beverages.

The parts department is great! I've had a '91 MR2 for quite awhile, and I have always gotten my parts from Hoy-Fox. It actually costs less to order a part from them and pay the shipping than to drive 1 mile to Desert Sun Toyota and get it over the counter. Desert Sun automatically marks up all their parts an additional 20% above MSRP.

Anyway, based on my single experience with the HF Lexus service dept., I'm actually loking forward to going back there again!

By the way, they are an "Elite" dealer, for what it's worth.
Old 12-09-02, 12:24 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Bayride sucks...Zero stars....Bunch of trying to be spranos....THats stupid bald moron...They hate when people bring mod cars in.. They al;so tell me how I voided the warrenty...
Old 12-09-02, 02:54 PM
ruze
Driver School Candidate

nj-es300, thanks for the pointer! I took to Warnock and must say Miles is a pleasure to work with. They took care of the warranty work on the throttle control (replacing it), and gave me an 02 ES loaner without my having to beat it out of them.

I'd give them 4.5 stars, only one minor nit. I agreed to have the 15K mile service done ($310+tax) cause they said they'd balance and align the wheels as part of the service. When I picked it up, they said they did the balance, but not the alignment cause their mechanics said "it didn't look like it needs alignment". Drove it off the lot and it pulled to the right immediately, took it back and they said ok but I'll have to bring it back on a Wed-Fri. I live about an hour away so it's a pain taking it that far, but anyway I've been happy with my experience.
Old 12-12-02, 02:52 AM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Thumbs down BAD dealer service!!

Not sure where to post this, move it to its respectful forum mods.

First the background:
My father's friend had a connection at JM Lexus in Margate, FL (Broward) about an hour from us in Miami. We talked and I got the GS from them instead of my normal dealer 5 mins from the house because they were cheaper. As part of the deal I was suppose to get a dealer installed spoiler but they had to get one painted and it would take a week. The friday of labor day weekend we call and they say they can put the spoiler on in less then 15 minutes. I was in school already so my dad sent one of his employees to the dealer with the car. He drives the hour there only to find out that it's going to take 5 hours instead. This would be a problem as my parents were going to drive it to the Gulf Coast for the weekend to meet me there for a little get away and for me to get the car as I had my sister's and she wanted it back. So the employee drives back all the while wasting gas and time, both of which costs money.

I call my sales rep and he tells me my only choices are to have the dealers in Orlando or Jacksonville, both 1.5 hours from school or install it at his dealership. I ask about my local dealer and he says its not possible due to politics and they dont want to share customers.

I finally was able to arrange to have it installed when I was home for thanksgiving weekend. On the phone we asked for the 1000 mile service, spolier, and to prime my hood as i had two rusting spots do to rock chips. They said it would take only a couple hours. My father brought the car to the dealer, I was busy watchin a surgery in person in the area BTW, and tells the assisant service manager, Bill Donald, the same things and points the chips out. He says it will take until 5 (we dropped the car off at 8).

This was Wednesday and no call is received to tell me it's done. Thursday is thanksgiving and no call. Friday and still no call. My mom starts to harass me to return the loaner because its "wrong to have it." I start calling this Bill Donald guy but he never answers his phone. I call the service department but I am told no one can tell me about my car, except Bill Donald. By 3 o'clock I said screw it, Ill just drive the hour to the dealer. I get there and he tells me my car isnt there, it's already been returned but he's going to look around. I had a friend of mine and his girlfriend with me and they asked me why I was so calm and not pissed. I told them in the end if there was a problem I would win and get a new car or compensated. As expected he finds the car. He tells me he would have never known unless I came in.

Im so ticked off with the lousy service we just jumped in the car and sped off. At home I noticed that naturally the hood isnt primed. Even worse is on the inside side where the spoiler connects to the trunk are two large(6-8") scratches. Its as if they scraped it one way, then moved the spoiler too far over and scratched it on the other side. Luckily its on the inside and part is covered overhead by the spoiler.

Whats up with this crap? What do I do?

Last edited by mdw131; 12-12-02 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-12-02, 11:56 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 5 stars? 4.5 stars?

I thought 4 stars was supposed to be the max, as stated in the initiating post. Never did like that "110%" type of thinking--it's for football coaches and Spinal Tap amplifiers.
Old 12-12-02, 12:07 PM
ruze
Driver School Candidate

You're right. 3.5 stars <g>
Old 12-12-02, 10:15 PM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

Thumbs down Ft. Irwin sucks

Awww Dude! I feel your pain. I've been to Ft. Irwin (NTC) 6 times. That place sucks to the highest point of "suckticity". Enjoy your Lex !
Old 12-12-02, 11:03 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

ehh..Wilkie Lex is alright. I dont have any problems w/ them...prolly b/c i dont get it serviced at the dealership...i go over to my friend mechanic's place and he looks it over for me.

Quick Reply: rate your dealer