Notices
Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Replacing Timing Belt AND Water Pump?

Old 01-30-12, 01:33 PM
KimO
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Replacing Timing Belt AND Water Pump?

I have a 99 Rx 300 with 160,000 miles on it and it is due for a timing belt change. Was wondering what others think about the mechanics always pushing the "you should really replace the water pump too". I understand the reasoning behind it but I also don't feel like I should replace a part that isn't broke! I only plan to keep the car for another two years, should I cough up the cash and just do it or take my chances? Up to this point the car has been a GEM and this is my first real maintenance issue in the 6 1/2 years and 50,000 miles I've put on it since ownership. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts, opinions, etc. Thanks, Kim
Old 01-30-12, 08:41 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I work at a technician for Toyota and I seen people just do the timing belts, I have no problems with that but I have seen numerous cars have water pump bearings go out or start leaking after the belt is done. The pump has a bearing that spins with the belt at various engine speeds so it does get worn.
I would just replace the pump, it's not that much more labor and plus you'll get that piece of mind of knowing that it's a new pump
Old 01-30-12, 09:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
I work at a technician for Toyota and I seen people just do the timing belts, I have no problems with that but I have seen numerous cars have water pump bearings go out or start leaking after the belt is done. The pump has a bearing that spins with the belt at various engine speeds so it does get worn.
I would just replace the pump, it's not that much more labor and plus you'll get that piece of mind of knowing that it's a new pump
I concur... If it does fail, then you are paying for the entire job again...
Old 01-30-12, 10:18 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I would just replace the pump. Even if the pump doesnt fail, it certainly makes a better selling point later on when youre ready to sell it.
Old 01-31-12, 05:27 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1 on this. On my past vehicles it was only a little bit more $$$ to do the water pump as well since a lot of the laber is repeat for the timing belt.

Originally Posted by RTIS250 View Post
I would just replace the pump. Even if the pump doesnt fail, it certainly makes a better selling point later on when youre ready to sell it.
Old 01-31-12, 04:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Liked 58 Times in 50 Posts

Dont pay for labor 2x...do the pump with the belt!
Old 10-08-12, 11:46 AM
n4khan
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi: My car was making some noise when the heat was on. its not a loud noise, sounds more like a humidifier. i took it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and after an hour of investigation, he thinks its the water pump. my car is 2007, has 91,400 KMs on it. i just bought it last june from a used car dealer (again, non-Lexus).

the pump itself is not expensive as you probably know already. what kills it, is the labor charge. my mechanic is under the impression that it will be a 20+ hours job to replace the pump, and will cost somewhere around $2000-$2800.
I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to hear from individuals who went through the same (pain!) and can provide some much needed advice.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-08-12, 03:28 PM
01LEXPL
Lexus Champion

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

^ ridiculous.... A timing belt/WP/misc belts on my old man's 2004 RX330 was 700$ for labour which was 8hrs or so [by the book].

*I bought my own parts... ~250$ with shipping/taxes for a complete kit with Misc other things to add.
Old 10-09-12, 07:26 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by n4khan View Post
Hi: My car was making some noise when the heat was on. its not a loud noise, sounds more like a humidifier. i took it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and after an hour of investigation, he thinks its the water pump. my car is 2007, has 91,400 KMs on it. i just bought it last june from a used car dealer (again, non-Lexus).

the pump itself is not expensive as you probably know already. what kills it, is the labor charge. my mechanic is under the impression that it will be a 20+ hours job to replace the pump, and will cost somewhere around $2000-$2800.
I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to hear from individuals who went through the same (pain!) and can provide some much needed advice.

Thanks in Advance.
Find a new mechanic. It is certainly not a 20+ hour job. Warranty for this repair is less than 3 hours...
Old 10-15-12, 06:53 AM
KimO
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Replacing Water Pump

Originally Posted by n4khan View Post

Thanks in Advance.
nathan, 20+ hours to replace your water pump? Hogwash! Get another quote or two from different mechanics. I had my timing belt AND water pump replaced at a Toyota dealership and the total work was around 8 hours and the total cost was around $700 US. the problem with getting to the water pump is that they have to remove the timing belt which is more of a process, but once that is removed the water pump is EASY.

Kim
Old 10-17-12, 04:38 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

the problem is loosening the crank bolt.
Old 10-17-12, 11:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn View Post
the problem is loosening the crank bolt.
not with the right tools...

impact wrenches are awesome!
Old 10-18-12, 04:12 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

You can attach a long breaker bar to the crank bolt, then blip the starter.
I have done this many times.

Just make sure your engine turns the right way or you will break/strip the bolt.
Old 10-22-12, 05:04 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
not with the right tools...

impact wrenches are awesome!
man i need a beefier impact gun then... + larger tank LOL.... need to upgrade

You can attach a long breaker bar to the crank bolt, then blip the starter.
I have done this many times.

Just make sure your engine turns the right way or you will break/strip the bolt.
yea i tried that once.. its quite scary hearing it turn but it works.
Old 10-24-12, 05:46 PM
nickkm
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just did mine it was very easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing Timing Belt AND Water Pump?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: