Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Replacing Timing Belt AND Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 01:33 PM
KimO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Timing Belt AND Water Pump?

I have a 99 Rx 300 with 160,000 miles on it and it is due for a timing belt change. Was wondering what others think about the mechanics always pushing the "you should really replace the water pump too". I understand the reasoning behind it but I also don't feel like I should replace a part that isn't broke! I only plan to keep the car for another two years, should I cough up the cash and just do it or take my chances? Up to this point the car has been a GEM and this is my first real maintenance issue in the 6 1/2 years and 50,000 miles I've put on it since ownership. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts, opinions, etc. Thanks, Kim
Old 01-30-12, 08:41 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work at a technician for Toyota and I seen people just do the timing belts, I have no problems with that but I have seen numerous cars have water pump bearings go out or start leaking after the belt is done. The pump has a bearing that spins with the belt at various engine speeds so it does get worn.
I would just replace the pump, it's not that much more labor and plus you'll get that piece of mind of knowing that it's a new pump
The following users liked this post:
JackPettit (08-12-23)
Old 01-30-12, 09:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyy
I work at a technician for Toyota and I seen people just do the timing belts, I have no problems with that but I have seen numerous cars have water pump bearings go out or start leaking after the belt is done. The pump has a bearing that spins with the belt at various engine speeds so it does get worn.
I would just replace the pump, it's not that much more labor and plus you'll get that piece of mind of knowing that it's a new pump
I concur... If it does fail, then you are paying for the entire job again...
Old 01-30-12, 10:18 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would just replace the pump. Even if the pump doesnt fail, it certainly makes a better selling point later on when youre ready to sell it.
Old 01-31-12, 05:27 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

+1 on this. On my past vehicles it was only a little bit more $$$ to do the water pump as well since a lot of the laber is repeat for the timing belt.

Originally Posted by RTIS250
I would just replace the pump. Even if the pump doesnt fail, it certainly makes a better selling point later on when youre ready to sell it.
Old 01-31-12, 04:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Dont pay for labor 2x...do the pump with the belt!
Old 10-08-12, 11:46 AM
n4khan
Driver School Candidate

Hi: My car was making some noise when the heat was on. its not a loud noise, sounds more like a humidifier. i took it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and after an hour of investigation, he thinks its the water pump. my car is 2007, has 91,400 KMs on it. i just bought it last june from a used car dealer (again, non-Lexus).

the pump itself is not expensive as you probably know already. what kills it, is the labor charge. my mechanic is under the impression that it will be a 20+ hours job to replace the pump, and will cost somewhere around $2000-$2800.
I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to hear from individuals who went through the same (pain!) and can provide some much needed advice.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-08-12, 03:28 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ ridiculous.... A timing belt/WP/misc belts on my old man's 2004 RX330 was 700$ for labour which was 8hrs or so [by the book].

*I bought my own parts... ~250$ with shipping/taxes for a complete kit with Misc other things to add.
Old 10-09-12, 07:26 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by n4khan
Hi: My car was making some noise when the heat was on. its not a loud noise, sounds more like a humidifier. i took it to my mechanic (non-Lexus) and after an hour of investigation, he thinks its the water pump. my car is 2007, has 91,400 KMs on it. i just bought it last june from a used car dealer (again, non-Lexus).

the pump itself is not expensive as you probably know already. what kills it, is the labor charge. my mechanic is under the impression that it will be a 20+ hours job to replace the pump, and will cost somewhere around $2000-$2800.
I live in Toronto, Canada and would like to hear from individuals who went through the same (pain!) and can provide some much needed advice.

Thanks in Advance.
Find a new mechanic. It is certainly not a 20+ hour job. Warranty for this repair is less than 3 hours...
Old 10-15-12, 06:53 AM
KimO
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing Water Pump

Originally Posted by n4khan

Thanks in Advance.
nathan, 20+ hours to replace your water pump? Hogwash! Get another quote or two from different mechanics. I had my timing belt AND water pump replaced at a Toyota dealership and the total work was around 8 hours and the total cost was around $700 US. the problem with getting to the water pump is that they have to remove the timing belt which is more of a process, but once that is removed the water pump is EASY.

Kim
Old 10-17-12, 04:38 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

the problem is loosening the crank bolt.
Old 10-17-12, 11:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
the problem is loosening the crank bolt.
not with the right tools...

impact wrenches are awesome!
Old 10-18-12, 04:12 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You can attach a long breaker bar to the crank bolt, then blip the starter.
I have done this many times.

Just make sure your engine turns the right way or you will break/strip the bolt.
Old 10-22-12, 05:04 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
not with the right tools...

impact wrenches are awesome!
man i need a beefier impact gun then... + larger tank LOL.... need to upgrade

You can attach a long breaker bar to the crank bolt, then blip the starter.
I have done this many times.

Just make sure your engine turns the right way or you will break/strip the bolt.
yea i tried that once.. its quite scary hearing it turn but it works.
Old 10-24-12, 05:46 PM
nickkm
Driver School Candidate

i just did mine it was very easy.

Quick Reply: Replacing Timing Belt AND Water Pump?