Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Toyota or Mobil 1 Oil Filter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 03:17 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota or Mobil 1 Oil Filter??

Hi CL members,

Here's a link I found on the internet about Toyota/ Lexus Oil Filter(90915-20004), Mobil 1 Filter and Toyota Supra Filter (08922-02011).
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/
It seems like Toyota Filter is better than Mobil 1?! I just got the Mobil 1 filter and ready to install it on my GS this weekend but I'd like to hear comments from you guys.
Also I bought the Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 should I use it or exchange to 5w-30?

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-02, 03:35 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

When I had my dealer put in Mobil 1 (5W-30) they didn't put the M1 filter I had purchased, instead they installed the stock Lexus filter. Does it make a difference? I honestly have no idea, my car is fine, but I will check the oil this weekend and see how it looks. This has been discussed prior though and you may want to use the search feature and see what you can dig up.
Old 02-01-02, 03:41 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
When I had my dealer put in Mobil 1 (5W-30) they didn't put the M1 filter I had purchased, instead they installed the stock Lexus filter. Does it make a difference? I honestly have no idea, my car is fine, but I will check the oil this weekend and see how it looks. This has been discussed prior though and you may want to use the search feature and see what you can dig up.
I did read thru the whole archives but no conclusion yet.
I bet they're all good... I just want to get the best I can get.
Old 02-01-02, 07:23 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

both filters are excellent....
Old 02-01-02, 10:31 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Mobil 1 filters are made by an oil filter company called Champion, who make filters for a whole bunch of different brands (including Target).

You can find a lot more info by searching the newsgroups through Google.

The Lexus filter has an interesting design, while the Mobil 1 and Supra filters are the run-of-the-mill filter designs. Not sure whether that'd make the Lexus filter better or not, but I'd use any of them. Just stay away from the standard orange Fram filters. There's a concensus that those are crap.
Old 02-02-02, 05:18 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm just a sucker for their marketing, but the M1 product description appeals to me -

From Mobils website:

Our advanced oil filter uses synthetic fibers, which leave your vehicle with cleaner oil and an engine that performs better and lasts longer. When used with Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil, our Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter offers the best protection for your engine.
Benefits:

Removes more contaminants than conventional filters by using synthetic fibers.
Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency.
Withstands up to five times the normal system operating pressure.
Helps engines last longer.

Applications: The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter is available in a wide variety of sizes to accommodate a broad range of automobiles and light trucks.

That bold part is what I like. Makes sense to me.

What the author depicts as "all I see is a traditional thin paper design...." isn't necessarily a valid observation - a more accurate statement might be 'the filters are constructed of a similar design, but the materials vary greatly.'

Originally posted by damnboy
Also I bought the Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 should I use it or exchange to 5w-30?
The difference is neglible probably; the 5W just adds a smidgen to your avg mpg; more of a cold starting winner.

Per Mobil

Mobil 1® Tri-Synthetic™ Formula 5W-30

Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 5W-30 helps to ensure cold-weather start-ups. Its synthetic formula keeps the oil flowing even at -50° F, providing unmatched performance.

Benefits:

Fights sludge and varnish build-up to reduce wear.
Reduces friction to help save gas.
Protects against wear by getting to engine parts fast.

Applications: Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 5W-30 is designed for passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. Fuel economy performance exceeds the highest rating.

Mobil 1® Tri-Synthetic™ Formula 10W-30

Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 10W-30 offers optimal protection for any engine used in varying temperatures. Its fully synthetic formula keeps protecting from 475° F to -45° F.

Benefits:

Fights sludge and varnish build-up to reduce wear.
Provides low friction to help save gas.
Protects against wear by getting to engine parts fast.

Applications: Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 10W-30 is designed for passenger cars and light trucks with gasoline or diesel engines. It also exceeds "Energy Conserving" ratings.

HTH
Old 02-02-02, 08:11 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Default Help :(

Thank you for the info.
I did exchange to 5w-30 and fill them up this morning but I found out I overfill about half inch!! :eek: What should I do? Let go all of them and buy another 6 packs or just try to drain some out?

I heard overfill will damage engine. Any suggestion??

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-02, 08:39 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Drain It!

U need to drain the excess out. Doubtful that it will hurt anything in the meantime - the higher level of oil in the pan allows the crankshaft to whip thru the oil & create foam. Just drain out a little bit at a time until U hit the "Full" mark. It took me about 3 tries to get the tranny fluid level Ok the first time I changed it!!
Old 02-02-02, 10:43 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Appreciate the quick reply. I'll try it in the morning.