Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Red Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 08:08 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Coolant Question

I need to add a little coolant to my LS400, I leaked a little when I removed the hose to change my serpentine belt.

I went to Pep Boys and all they had was the "Green" prestone antifreeze.
What is the name of this "Red" Coolant and who carries besides the Lexus dealer?? What company makes it and who sells it?

Thanks!!
Old 12-19-06, 02:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CO-LS400
I need to add a little coolant to my LS400, I leaked a little when I removed the hose to change my serpentine belt.

I went to Pep Boys and all they had was the "Green" prestone antifreeze.
What is the name of this "Red" Coolant and who carries besides the Lexus dealer?? What company makes it and who sells it?

Thanks!!
You can get it from the Toyota Dealer or Lexus. I wouldn't put anything else in or you could have a problem.
Old 12-20-06, 05:33 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
You can get it from the Toyota Dealer or Lexus. I wouldn't put anything else in or you could have a problem.
I agree with Max707, stick with the red Lexus coolent.
Old 12-20-06, 06:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Don't touch that green stuff. If it it gets mixed in with the red you can get literally get something that looks like jello.

If you need a good cooling additive to go with the Toyota Red Coolant (same as Lexus stuff) try a bottle of Redline WaterWetter.
Old 12-21-06, 07:39 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only use Toyota engine anti freeze! And the water wetter stuff works really well especially if your running a water to air intercooler
Old 12-24-06, 12:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NEVER, EVER use Dex-Cool based "universal" coolants like Prestone in a Toyota or Lexus product - they belong only in GM and VW products. Dex-Cool and its clones use a chemical called 2-EHA that can soften and weaken plastics and polymers used in cooling systems - no wonder why GM and VW are having coolant issues.
Old 12-24-06, 04:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
NEVER, EVER use Dex-Cool based "universal" coolants like Prestone in a Toyota or Lexus product - they belong only in GM and VW products. Dex-Cool and its clones use a chemical called 2-EHA that can soften and weaken plastics and polymers used in cooling systems - no wonder why GM and VW are having coolant issues.
My cousin actually uses the Toyota Red in his Golf VR6, since he had prior issues as you described.
Old 12-24-06, 02:21 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a million fella's --
I'll be stopping by the dealer next week!
Old 12-26-06, 08:30 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You can also change over entirely to good ol' green fluid...

it will not cause harm to your cooling system, and will not cause any issues...

I use 25% green coolant / 75% dist water, and a bottle of water wetter...

I might be convinced to change if someone could find some hardcore reasoning why, but I just read a maintenance handbook that dispelled all the "myths" between the different colors... basically it said if you have a GM, use dexcool only while under warranty, and to change it to green as soon as you hit the warranty exp mark because of the softening properties... toyota red and dexcool both are more environmentally safe than green, but other than that, not a lot of protection differences....
Old 12-26-06, 02:07 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy

I might be convinced to change if someone could find some hardcore reasoning why, but I just read a maintenance handbook that dispelled all the "myths" between the different colors... basically it said if you have a GM, use dexcool only while under warranty, and to change it to green as soon as you hit the warranty exp mark because of the softening properties... toyota red and dexcool both are more environmentally safe than green, but other than that, not a lot of protection differences....

Cody, I went to the Pink extended interval stuff that is used in the 2004 and newer LC/LX's when I had the timing belt and water pump changed on my 99 Landcruiser. I think the problem is not getting out all the old antifreeze and then having some kind of mix going. When I was looking at antifreeze for my 99 it gets really confusing. For my 2004 I will always use the Lexus extended
interval pink antifreeze.
Old 12-26-06, 02:12 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Max707
I think the problem is not getting out all the old antifreeze and then having some kind of mix going. When I was looking at antifreeze for my 99 it gets really confusing. For my 2004 I will always use the Lexus extended
interval pink antifreeze.
Definitely low maintenance there...

I agree though... whenever changing radiator fluid, and even when not, but at its scheduled intervals, a proper radiator flush is imperative in terms of maintenance... I see sooo many blown radiators, water pumps, hoses, etc. and I attribute a lot of it to lack of maintenance... Antifreeze breaks down over time just like oil does...
Old 12-27-06, 02:58 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

I read somewhere that Toyota rad fluid is chemically different from the universal green stuff, something to do with the materials Toyota uses in it's engines. After all is said and done it's a personal choice.
Old 12-27-06, 03:15 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by clubfoot
I read somewhere that Toyota rad fluid is chemically different from the universal green stuff, something to do with the materials Toyota uses in it's engines. After all is said and done it's a personal choice.
it is very chemically different... it is less or even non-toxic, whereas green is very toxic... they both do the same thing though...
Old 12-28-06, 02:12 PM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

it is very chemically different... it is less or even non-toxic, whereas green is very toxic... they both do the same thing though...
Agreed they accomplish the same task,...but I meant how the interact with the metals and non metals in an engine.