Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What's the deal with the Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-06, 09:38 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's the deal with the Water Pump?

Guys,

After speaking to Lexus I am curious as to why they do not advise on doing the water pump when they do the 90k service?

Jonny
Old 04-18-06, 11:42 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as water pumps are concerned, as long as you have good maintenance on your car, water pumps don't wear out that often and therefore don't need to be changed. From a cost/service standpoint the price for this service can be costly and there is alot of labor involved., Might as well have him change the timing belt while he's done there since it will be right there in his face. Bottom line, if it aint broke, you don't need it fixed.
Old 04-18-06, 11:43 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read about this in a number of threads in the past week (I'm retired). There appears to be divided opinion on whether or not to replace the water pump when you replace the timing belt. One argument is that you have to perform most of the same labor anyway. The counter-argument is that the water pump (if you've been changing the coolant every 2 years) will likely not cause problems. Some have indicated that a good mechanic can look and feel for waterpump problems when he's in there and decide/recommend whether or not to replace on the spot. Don't forget the belt tensioner.

I don't have any personal experience, my car has a long way to go until I get to 90K-mi.
Old 04-21-06, 12:47 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dx3
Guys,

After speaking to Lexus I am curious as to why they do not advise on doing the water pump when they do the 90k service?

Jonny
If your water pump *does* go out later, they can pretty much charge you for labor again.
Old 04-21-06, 03:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by meZoom!
If your water pump *does* go out later, they can pretty much charge you for labor again.
That's right. The water pump works just like your AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump or fan clutch. It will not last forever, but when the water pump locked up( on the Lexus engine) it will seized up the timing belt cause your recently installed timing belt to break.

The newer Lexus engines are interference engine which mean if the timing belt break the valve will come loose and hit the piston. A major engine repair.
Old 04-21-06, 05:12 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I plan to keep my RX a long time so, when the 90K came around I did the timing belt and water pump...more convenient to do so. Plus, since I live south of the border, I didn't want an issue in the middle of nowhere, even though I could fix it back in Mexico City.
Old 04-24-06, 03:30 PM
socwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
That's right. The water pump works just like your AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump or fan clutch. It will not last forever, but when the water pump locked up( on the Lexus engine) it will seized up the timing belt cause your recently installed timing belt to break.

The newer Lexus engines are interference engine which mean if the timing belt break the valve will come loose and hit the piston. A major engine repair.

If that is the case, why doesn't lexus have the water pump replacement as part of their 90k service? Has anyone here ever had a water pump go out? And if so.. did it cause internal problems on your engine?

Just wondering

Thanks
Old 04-24-06, 04:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i

I was thinking about something similar. Since the 1UZFE engine is a non-interference engine, what would happen if the timing belts were to snap? Does the car automatically protects itself to the point where there would be no problem (minus the timing belt obviously)?
Old 04-24-06, 05:09 PM
socwrkr
Rookie

I was always told, interference engine or not, a timing belt breaking while moving that fast will cause some sort of damage in the engine bay.. and i've always had that replaced on whatever car I owned... now the waterpump, i know it can go out, but never heard of it doing additional damage.
Old 04-25-06, 12:09 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Yet another reason to search

...that's because no one has told you that, on a good many of the timing belt failures documented on this forum, it is a seized water pump that tore up the timing belt in the first place.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-25-06 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 11:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
...that's because no one has told you that, on a good many of the timing belt failures documented on this forum, it is a seized water pump that tore up the timing belt in the first place.
At my uncle's shop in Mexico City, that is one of the top parts he has to go fetch. It seems like every week we are replacing a water pump or some other belt.
Old 04-27-06, 09:37 PM
pianovt
Rookie

I am not too impressed by engines that use the timing belt to drive anything other than the camshafts. When I first saw the engine in the GS300, I was happy that they put the water pump on the alternator belt, but now I see in the service manual that the timing belt has to come off just to get access to the pump. I have no idea why they did that. Taking the timing belt off is a pain.

I once had a Honda that had a water pump driven by the timing belt. The pump bearing fell apart but I shut off the engine before the belt skipped. That happened at about 65000 miles. I have also had several cars where the water pump never failed.

Last edited by pianovt; 04-29-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-08-06, 01:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I had my timing belt changed at 90K miles and 180K miles on my 1996 ES 300. I still have the original water pump. As of now I have over 254K miles on the odometer. I will change my timing belt and water pump at 270K miles. At this point I'd rather be safe than sorry...
Old 05-09-06, 05:17 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Changing the water pump is part of the 90k service at my local Lexus dealer. I'm getting my 90k service done in a month on my GS400. This was also part of the 90k service on my old 95 LS400.

Who ever said it wasn't part of the 90k service??? I guess different dealerships recommend different stuff???
Old 05-09-06, 09:06 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GUNRU-GS4
Changing the water pump is part of the 90k service at my local Lexus dealer. I'm getting my 90k service done in a month on my GS400. This was also part of the 90k service on my old 95 LS400.

Who ever said it wasn't part of the 90k service??? I guess different dealerships recommend different stuff???
2 dealerships I spoke to both said it was not part of it Stupid huh!

Jonny

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the Water Pump?