Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Ebay Tune Up Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 02:35 AM
akdmks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Tune Up Kit

Hello all,

i was just wondering if anyone got the major tune up kit on ebay for about $100+shipping. It comes with spark plug wires, 2 distributor caps, 2 ignition rotors, and 8 platinum bosch spark plugs. are there any problems with any of these brands or products? it seems too cheap to be good but they do sound like factory parts. some opinions/feedback would be great. thanks.

alex
Old 02-07-06, 07:07 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thought is that the quality is not that good. OEM plug wires cost me roughly $95 alone.
Old 02-07-06, 07:40 AM
cip
Pole Position

akdmks-
I saw those too, but like they say if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. One thing I've learned either the hard way or by taking others' advise is that the higher-end cars like ours use the higher quality stuff. One place not to skimp is the electrical/ since it affects fuel and thus performance. I mean if these chaper parts only work well for 6 months (which is my bet) then you not only wasted 1/3 of the cost off the good stuff, you now have to do it twice!!

A similar thing happened to me on my old SC400 when I purchased brighter lights. The deal there was the lights were just higher wattage, and thus burned out the headlight harness. Fortunately I bought that car certified so they fixed it, but the lesson is find out what you're buying.

Just order via Carson or Sewell Lexus as is recommended thorughout CL
Old 02-07-06, 05:09 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Plugs must be NGK, or Denso. Plug wires must be of high quality. OEM Toyota, Vitek, Magnacore quality.
There is no reason to pay Lexus's outrageous prices, but not following the above is going to lead you down the road of **** poor spark!

Toyota's Denso systems are very sensative to component choices. Doing something dumb like throwing generic Bosch plug wires, and a Bosch spark plug on the engine is going to give you weak spark in 5-10,000 miles on the plug & cheap wires that simply fall apart after afew years.
Old 02-07-06, 06:25 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is one of those " Pay me now or pay me later" type of deal. I mean, when your car got some problem with those ebay parts and you take the car to the shop and you tell them the plugs, wires and rotors are brand new. Now the tech will look for something else and may mis-diagnostic because they think you already got the brand new plugs, wires and rotors. Now, you will spend more money on diagnostic, plus labor and replace the same parts you just got it installed.

I've seen so many of these kind cases in my 16 years career as the combo of both Toyota and Lexus tech.
Old 02-07-06, 08:59 PM
akdmks
Rookie

first, sorry about putting this in the wrong file...

thanks for all your great input and comments. i sure am glad i asked before i bought any of that bull****! so now my search begins for some good tune up parts... oh yea what else am i missing in my list for a major tune up:

spark plug wires
8 spark plugs
2 distributor caps
2 ignition rotors
fuel filter
oil/oil filter
do i need a new pcv valve?

thanks

alex
Old 02-07-06, 09:38 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter what kind of vehicle you drive. When it comes to spark plugs and wires, always go with OEM.

Non-OEM plugs don't fire exactly the same like OEM, which will give you engine problem down the road. Non-OEM cheap wires are not insulated well. So they pick up interference from radio, wiper motors, cell phone, etc.... so the engine runs funny.

Also you don't always have to replace the wires. If the connectors are still in good condition (no corrosion, etc.,) you may keep using the same wires.
Old 02-07-06, 11:15 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVT-i
This is one of those " Pay me now or pay me later" type of deal. I mean, when your car got some problem with those ebay parts and you take the car to the shop and you tell them the plugs, wires and rotors are brand new. Now the tech will look for something else and may mis-diagnostic because they think you already got the brand new plugs, wires and rotors. Now, you will spend more money on diagnostic, plus labor and replace the same parts you just got it installed.

I've seen so many of these kind cases in my 16 years career as the combo of both Toyota and Lexus tech.
this guy speaks the truth.

today worked on a 96es300. ya guess what. had nappa wires and bosh plugs. makes me wonder why it keeped getting po300. po301, po302, po303, po304, po305, po306.

slapped those denso plugs n wires. night a day

love that term
pay me now or pay me more later