Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

60 K Service

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 06:24 PM
rch502
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60 K Service

I just purchased a 2000 GS 300 platinum edition and it has 68K on it. Overall it is a clean car but it is clear the previous did as little maintenance as possible. I am having all new brakes and rotors installed tomorrow, 700 bucks, but I believe I need the 60K service done. The transmission fluid and the belts appear aged. How much should the 60 K service cost? Should I have the dealer do it?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 08-08-05, 06:54 PM
gs300inky
Driver School Candidate

I just had my 60k mile service done at my lexus dealer for $900.00. They wanted to put new brakes on as well for an additional 600.00. I called another lexus dealer an hour away and their price was about the same for the 60k mile service. They said it was an 8 hour job for 1 tech and according to the paper work they did do a lot of things but it is still a little pricey. I have to admit though i could tell the car ran better after i picked it up.
Old 08-08-05, 06:55 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

$600 in orlando,fl.I thought that was expensive!
Old 08-08-05, 07:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

It really depends on whether they change the plugs. My dealer tells me that the plugs can go for 90k miles, and that changing them at 60k is a little premature. Without plugs, most dealers charge around $550, but they might come down a bit if you ask. I paid $430 about a month ago (but that was minus an oil change).
Old 08-08-05, 09:06 PM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rotors are still thick so I just resurfaced the rotors and replaced the pads with Toyota pads which only costed a little over $100.

For my 60K maintenance I bought NGK Irudiums for $50 for all 8 (Lexus wanted $24/ea. for Denso). I bought the timing belt, water pump, radiator fluid, MTF, serpentine belt, air filter, and cabin filter for about $350.

My machanic installed everything and threw in injector and throttle body cleaning for $250. So my complete tune up was about $600. It felt like a brand new car after that.
Old 08-08-05, 10:58 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That Is A Goodprice

I wished I could have gotten that kind of price for that service here. I wound up doing it all myself. I changed the timing belt, new tensioner, tensioner bearing and fixed bearing, as well as thermostat and all o rings and seals. I used my coolant, as well as new transmission fluid and gear oil for the back

I am going to look at my plugs tomorrow. They were supposedly changed by the prevous owner at 60,000 miles, but it just doesn't run right. It is not as snappy as my first GS4, and my mileage is not the best all the time.

There is much controversy about the stock Iridium spark plugs VS Torquemasters. I generally stay with factory plugs, but now I hear so much about Torquemaster plugs. I am not sure if I want to try something else. I've heard that Torquemasters are great for cars with turbos and superchargers.

I will research this and make a decision. I am also open to opinions about this plug from anyone that has used them on a stock GS4 engine.

Thanks,

GSEREP1
Old 08-09-05, 01:06 AM
Tuna
Pole Position

lol i'm new to this board and it's a big change for me...i'm currently the owner of two 93 Toyota MR2 Turbos (selling one of them and parting the other out and looking for a nice gs4 with nav and hid's) and i've been in the MR2 community for over 3 years...i must say, the 2 communities are polar opposites....in the MR2 community, there are a lot of write-ups on how to fix various things, and over here there is a lot of talk about having work done at the dealership...over there, taking your car to the dealership is like sacrilege because of the insane rates on labor, but over here it seems preferred....i'm not saying it's bad or anything, to each his own, but i think it'll take some getting used to for me....i'm more of the type that likes to work on my own cars because i don't trust many other people to touch them

meanwhile, never spend $24 each for spark plugs, you can get NGK Iridiums or another brand for much cheaper (as you stated) but i've always heard good things about NGK, so that's what i'd use....also, never spend $100 on Toyota pads....you should be able to get an aftermarket replacement for $100 that will work better than the OEM pads

anyway, i'm really looking forward to joining the community as soon as i get my MR2 sold (anybody want it?)
Old 08-09-05, 01:49 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default i have a gs3 - 950 bucks with a timing belt swap.

since my car shares the same engine as the n/a supra, I had the local toyota dealership do the work.

It set me back 950 but that included the drain and fill of the tranny and other fluids and a swapping of the timing belt. I live in Arizona so it gets quite dry out here and I didn't feel like chancing it since the car has been an Arizona vehicle since day 1.

Maybe you can take your ride to a toyota shop?
Old 08-09-05, 06:13 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

My local Dealership wanted $1200 for the 60K.. i tried to get him to come down a bit, but they wouldnt budge. I asked if I can bring it to my mechanic (who is a friend of mine) so it wouldnt void my CPO warranty, and he said as long as he follows the procedure and documents everything, I should be fine. $300 out the door.
Old 08-09-05, 11:16 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tuna
lol i'm new to this board and it's a big change for me...i'm currently the owner of two 93 Toyota MR2 Turbos (selling one of them and parting the other out and looking for a nice gs4 with nav and hid's) and i've been in the MR2 community for over 3 years...i must say, the 2 communities are polar opposites....in the MR2 community, there are a lot of write-ups on how to fix various things, and over here there is a lot of talk about having work done at the dealership...over there, taking your car to the dealership is like sacrilege because of the insane rates on labor, but over here it seems preferred....i'm not saying it's bad or anything, to each his own, but i think it'll take some getting used to for me....i'm more of the type that likes to work on my own cars because i don't trust many other people to touch them

meanwhile, never spend $24 each for spark plugs, you can get NGK Iridiums or another brand for much cheaper (as you stated) but i've always heard good things about NGK, so that's what i'd use....also, never spend $100 on Toyota pads....you should be able to get an aftermarket replacement for $100 that will work better than the OEM pads

anyway, i'm really looking forward to joining the community as soon as i get my MR2 sold (anybody want it?)
i dont konw about the rest of the members on this site but i do most of my own work.. from installing my own coilovers to doing my own maintenance.. i feel you on doing your own work but when it comes to replacing timing belt and changing water pump thats a little too much work IMO because u pratically have to break down the engine just to get to the timing belt and water pump.

not trying to be mean or anything but im pretty sure most of us on this site prefer either going to independent or DIY over the stealership anyday.
Old 08-09-05, 11:56 PM
Tuna
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshoowa
i dont konw about the rest of the members on this site but i do most of my own work.. from installing my own coilovers to doing my own maintenance.. i feel you on doing your own work but when it comes to replacing timing belt and changing water pump thats a little too much work IMO because u pratically have to break down the engine just to get to the timing belt and water pump.

not trying to be mean or anything but im pretty sure most of us on this site prefer either going to independent or DIY over the stealership anyday.
i didn't think you were being mean at all...no worries props on doing your own work. in the mr2, it's easiest to pull the entire motor just to change the timing belt lol...after 3 years and 3 MR2's, i know the car pretty well...nice GS, btw....i like the L-Tuned kit
Old 08-10-05, 07:10 AM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Mine was $774.00 with plugs. in Melbourne Florida.
Old 08-10-05, 12:20 PM
kkeppler
Driver School Candidate

I'm due for my 120K (60x2) in a few months
No wonder why my local mechanic wanted me to do it there versus Toyota. Big bucks for him. I trust his work so we'll see how much it is when i have it done -- will keep you posted. I plan on buying all of the parts as gapxguy because parts tend to be a lot better priced that way.
Old 08-12-05, 11:29 PM
Ltech223
Driver School Candidate

One thing I like to say about the price thing is: you get what you paid for!!!
The more you ask for a break, the less they'll perform on compare to a regular service to offset the difference.

BY doing the spark plugs on the 60k to clean up the system for better sparks ( performance and mileage ) or you can do it @ 90k. that 650 for the service plugs plus labor for the plugs (for the gs300 owners the throttle body have to be remove to gain access to the third spark plug, ppl tend to leave one out and wonder why they have a extra ???and guess what @ 90K it's time for the T-belt.

Why make a big deal out of the cost of service? After all, we own a Lexus !!!!
We are @ the on same par as the BENZ owner and they never question why, if the vehicle need it " DO IT "........................." may be some of us are barely making the payments."

Last edited by Ltech223; 08-12-05 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 07:49 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by Ltech223
Why make a big deal out of the cost of service? After all, we own a Lexus !!!!
We are @ the on same par as the BENZ owner and they never question why, if the vehicle need it " DO IT "........................." may be some of us are barely making the payments."
That is EXACTLY why they charge so much for service. No matter how much money you have, it makes sense to keep as much of it as possible. Why would I pay a lexus dealer $1200 for service I could get at a trusted mechanic for $300?

The best advice is know your car, have preventive maintenance performed, and pay as little as possible for the best possible quality of work. For me, that means taking it to Herndon Mobil.

Quick Reply: 60 K Service