Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus electrical problem related to weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 10:12 AM
scox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus electrical problem related to weather

Two weeks ago I parked my car in my driveway, lock the car, and went inside, put my car keys on a key hook till the next morning when I went outside all the windows were fully down and the sunroof was fully open and the car was still locked with nothing missing. The problem is that night we had a severe rain and thunder/lightning storm, the worse in 5 yrs. So my car was flooded. I got all the visible standing water out of the car, started the car and then went to work; I have seen no noticeable mechanical problems with the car that day. I later that day took it the Lexus dealership for repair. I have extensive water damage to the leather, seats, headliner, and numerous other parts. Lexus has done a check of the electrical system, but says they can't find anything wrong with the electrical system. They say I must have hit the button on the remote by accident. I wear scrubs and keep my keys in my front shirt pocket, usually, however most all nights when I get out of my car I hold my keys in my hands then open my house door the walk to the kitchen and put them on the hook without ever putting them in my pocket. Also for the windows and sunroof to open all the way fully you have to hold the key button down for ~ 5 seconds and if you release they don't go all the way down. All so one of my neighbors once they heard of my car problem told us that she had seen my car in the early evening without any windows or sunroof open. This was about 8 to 9 pm and I got home at ~5-6 pm. The storm occurred later that evening. Have you heard of or know where I can go to find info on whether an electrical storm could have caused this problem or if there are any other published reports of the type of problem. Thank you for any help you can give me. I really need the help especially anything like this that has ever happened below.

Thank You
Old 03-16-05, 05:14 AM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Can anyone answer this guy's question?

Admin - perhaps if moved to another section of the forum it would get more attention?

M.
Old 03-16-05, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Perhaps the thunder had more to do with it than the lightning. I've actually seen and heard loud, close booms like thunder, large firecrackers, aircraft sonic booms, etc...... anything that causes a shock wave in the air......set off things like auto burglar alarms.
Old 03-16-05, 09:35 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any kids in your household who might got a hold of the remote?
Old 03-17-05, 10:53 PM
tech237
Rookie

do ypu lock your car by putting the key in the door lock?? You can usually roll the windows down and open the sunroof by putting the key in the drivers door and holding it in the unlock position.....maybe the lock/unlock switch on the drivers door lock cylinder is malfunctioning...
Old 03-18-05, 05:30 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by scox
Two weeks ago I parked my car in my driveway, lock the car, and went inside, put my car keys on a key hook till the next morning when I went outside all the windows were fully down and the sunroof was fully open and the car was still locked with nothing missing. The problem is that night we had a severe rain and thunder/lightning storm, the worse in 5 yrs. So my car was flooded. I got all the visible standing water out of the car, started the car and then went to work; I have seen no noticeable mechanical problems with the car that day. I later that day took it the Lexus dealership for repair. I have extensive water damage to the leather, seats, headliner, and numerous other parts. Lexus has done a check of the electrical system, but says they can't find anything wrong with the electrical system. They say I must have hit the button on the remote by accident. I wear scrubs and keep my keys in my front shirt pocket, usually, however most all nights when I get out of my car I hold my keys in my hands then open my house door the walk to the kitchen and put them on the hook without ever putting them in my pocket. Also for the windows and sunroof to open all the way fully you have to hold the key button down for ~ 5 seconds and if you release they don't go all the way down. All so one of my neighbors once they heard of my car problem told us that she had seen my car in the early evening without any windows or sunroof open. This was about 8 to 9 pm and I got home at ~5-6 pm. The storm occurred later that evening. Have you heard of or know where I can go to find info on whether an electrical storm could have caused this problem or if there are any other published reports of the type of problem. Thank you for any help you can give me. I really need the help especially anything like this that has ever happened below.

Thank You
That is just crazy. I have never heard of anything like this..

CEO
Old 03-19-05, 11:03 AM
tech237
Rookie

I have......I had to find the problem and repair it........on the other hand more times than not the "unlock" button was held inadvertantly by putting keys in a pocket or purse.....good luck
Old 03-19-05, 09:58 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

To roll the windows down, you need to hold it for about 10secs total without moving the remote around.... I doubt it was an accident, because i need to really hold my remote steady to roll down the windows.
Old 03-21-05, 08:50 PM
scox
Driver School Candidate

Default Electrical problems GS 300

The problem I am having is proving that it could have happened by some other cause, like the weather storm. All I know is I left had all the windows and sunroof closed, had control over the keys, which where not mistakenly held down for 1 sec much less 5 to 10 sec needed the get all the windows down. Something is wrong with my car that Lexus can not or will not find. The car is certified by Lexus and I believe this is a warranty issue that should cover the damage. I need something to take to the Lexus Co. so they will cover and repair the vehicle. Windows and sunroofs don't open all by themselves or they are not suppose to anyway. Thanks,