Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Changing Negative battery cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-04, 06:50 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Negative battery cable

Im not that mecanical so please bear with me. How do i change my negative battery cable and do i need a specific type? I would prefer if i could get a heavy duty one if that is possible. Also can i do it myself and where would i need to start??
Old 11-03-04, 08:02 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

The one i need to change is the one that comes off the battery terminal to where ever it runs.
Old 11-03-04, 09:42 AM
hansjl
Driver

Question Negative cable change, why????????

Why are you changing your negative battery cable? If the terminal is bad, look for one of my earlier posts for changing the crappy end supplied as stock with a real end. Also think about running a 4 GA cable to the block and/or other points on your block or under the hood. It's a lot easier and provides a good ground. So with that said, why are you changing your negative battery cable?

Last edited by hansjl; 11-03-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-03-04, 11:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

Your negative cable runs to a bolt that sits below your oil filter ( at least on an sc400 - don't know what car u have.) All your negative cable is doing is grounding out - so it doesn't really need to be run to the same place. As was said before, ground it somewhere else.

But then again it is not difficult to get to the screw. Jack up your car, put a stand underneath it and look for your oil filter. From there, look below it and u will see an L shaped piece of metal. The neg- is attached to that.

Also, what end do u have. I have marine cables on mine so they are attached with wing nuts - easier to take on and off as the clamps are always firmly attached.

Good luck,
jonny
Old 11-03-04, 11:07 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by vredniykot
yes, but if i remember correctly there is 2 wires running off a NEG terminal
either way, just look under the hood
Eugene,

I believe there is only 1 neg-

Some have 2 pos- though.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 11-03-04, 12:17 PM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

OK here is the story...I changed my alternator about a month ago because it was destroyed by my leaking power steering pump. After it was installed for about a week the car functioned fine with no problem. There was no blinking of the headlights or interior lights when i pressed the brakes or when i had the bass from my system cranked up. Then all of a sudden the ghosts were back!

Now again when i press the brakes the dash lights blink and if the headlights are on they blink as well and the radio will pause for about 2-3 seconds. Also if the bass is cranking from my system that causes the light to pulsate as well. The battery has been checked and it supposed to be fine as well as the alternator.

Now what is even worse somtimes i get in the car to start it up, i stick the key in and the lights are dim but when i press the brake while turning the key the car comes to life and starts up. But when it starts i still have the same light blink and radio pause problems. Ive cleaned off the ground connection that is kinda under the battery and it is clean.

I dont know what else to do and im frustrated now and i aint the most mecanically sound guy either. Any suggestions???? Im thinking maybe the battery is malfunctioning? Or maybe the negative battery cable needs to be changed?? The battery i have is only a year old BTW. Help!!!

Well yesterday i popped the hood and wiggled my Neg battery cable and i havent been having any problems so far. I am assuming i need to change the cable. Where can i get one and is there a specific one i need??
Old 11-03-04, 12:53 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Dude,

If u can wiggle the cable right on the post then u need to tighten it.

U can get the cable from any parts store - u do not need a specific one. A negative cable is a negative cable. When u r at the parts store ask them to check your battery for u.

I explained above how to remove the neg- cable so u should be good to go.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 11-03-04, 01:05 PM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

The connection itself was not loose. The connection at the terminal is tight and will not budge. I just wiggled the cable itself.
Old 11-03-04, 03:39 PM
hansjl
Driver

Do the $4 dollar test. Connect the 4GA wire you get from and auto store (get a 48 or so inch one and connect one end to your block, (I used my FI for the connect) and the other to your battery neg. Once again, the terminal end from a stock Lexus cable is crap and for another dollar or two, get a replacment end with the wing nut connection as stated above.

$6 and you'll know if it's the ground. A lot easier that jacking up and crawling under the SC. Damn, buy two cables and connect to multiple places for a really good ground. See the posts on CL on multiple grounds.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-04, 04:32 AM
spaceman
Driver School Candidate

Default huh?

you can change an alternator, but you dont know how to change your neg battery cable? lol,lol,lol, sorry, couldnt stop laughing
Old 11-05-04, 06:33 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Default Smart ***

I had it changed i didnt do it myself....so do u have any USEFUL info for me?
Old 11-05-04, 10:49 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Smart ***

Originally posted by bezeeduzit
I had it changed i didnt do it myself....so do u have any USEFUL info for me?
How many times have I told you how to do it? Why are you asking the same question when I have told u exactly how to get to it and what to do. What are you waiting for?

It is a 5 minute job for even the least mechaincally inclined.

Jonny
Old 11-05-04, 11:31 AM
bezeeduzit
Rookie

Default not You DX3

I wasnt refering to u DX3 ...thanks for ur help!