Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

SC400 engine oil capacity--help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 11:35 PM
kamy587
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 engine oil capacity--help!!

i was changing my oil on my sc400 today, and i put in 5.1quarts just as the owners manual said, but 5.1 quarts only filled it half way up. what is the engine's oil capacity? can i put more than 5.1 quarts and just fill it up all the way?

--thanks!!
Old 06-30-04, 12:02 AM
97SC300
Driver

Default Re: SC400 engine oil capacity--help!!

Originally posted by kamy587
i was changing my oil on my sc400 today, and i put in 5.1quarts just as the owners manual said, but 5.1 quarts only filled it half way up. what is the engine's oil capacity? can i put more than 5.1 quarts and just fill it up all the way?

--thanks!!
what do u mean it only filled it half way up? do u mean only the oil is only half way up on the dip stick? because that would mean you are only .5 quarts low on oil.
Old 06-30-04, 12:31 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sometime Toyota dipsticks can be quircky, my parent's old beater Cressida does this from time to time. The 1UZ calls for 6 quarts, or so it does at least on my car.
Old 06-30-04, 11:44 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be careful because many oil shops only put 5qt's instead of 6qt.

it calls for 6qt's
Old 06-30-04, 04:15 PM
saber
Pole Position

The dipstick is the ultimate authority and it says so right in your owners manual
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oillevel.jpg
Old 06-30-04, 07:47 PM
97SC300
Driver

Originally posted by saber
The dipstick is the ultimate authority and it says so right in your owners manual
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/oillevel.jpg
also the area between Low and Full is exactly 1 quart. so add oil accordingly.
Old 06-30-04, 09:35 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

I put in 5.3 quarts, just like my dealers did.
Old 06-30-04, 10:19 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Default AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

Hello,
I have been reading the responses of other owners, and it seems that some people actually put the entire 6 quarts of oil in the engine during an oil change.

The most I have ever put in is 5.3, like the book says. The extra oil may not cause problems, but I personally feel that the extra oil will negatively impact fuel consumption.

I also have a 2000 new beetle, and they specifically state not to put more than the factory recommended amount for fear of contaminating the catalytic converter with engine oil.

If someone has a compelling reason why 6 quarts is better than 5 or 5.3, I would be interested in hearing what it is. Maybe I am missing something.

Last edited by gserep1; 06-30-04 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-30-04, 10:57 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very careful about putting in 6 quarts. I took it to a shop that changes the oil only if you bring the parts/items and I was told that only 5.3 qts would be good for our V8 engines. Well anyways, the guy who changed my oil put in all 6 qts and he showed me the dipstick and it read about right so I thought it was ok. By the time I drove home I smelled burnt oil and thought maybe that was normal after oil changes since it was normal on my previous car. Well, it turned out 6 qts was way too much and now my rear main seal is leaking oil due to too much oil in the engine. My mechanic said too much oil can damage your seal because of pressure build up. Now I'm left w/ a $600 bill!!
Old 07-01-04, 12:10 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Default Re: AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?

Originally posted by gserep1
Hello,
I have been reading the responses of other owners, and it seems that some people actually put the entire 6 quarts of oil in the engine during an oil change.

The most I have ever put in is 5.3, like the book says. The extra oil may not cause problems, but I personally feel that the extra oil will negatively impact fuel consumption.

I also have a 2000 new beetle, and they specifically state not to put more than the factory recommended amount for fear of contaminating the catalytic converter with engine oil.

If someone has a compelling reason why 6 quarts is better than 5 or 5.3, I would be interested in hearing what it is. Maybe I am missing something.
my 1UZ takes 6 quarts of oil, 5.5 if i pre-fill the filter.

and that 1.8T engine that's an option in the Beetle is one of the thirstiest 4's i've seen, i put in 5 quarts of M1 5W-40 in one, just to get the oil level OK after an oil change!
Old 07-01-04, 05:42 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

the oil change place puts 5.5qt's and i always, ALWAYS have to add 1/2qt the next day.
Old 07-01-04, 12:02 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Default THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

Thanks for all the responses. I will pay close attention to the level during my next oil change. I AM confused how you can add 5.5 one day, and have to add another 1/2 quart the next day. It is not like it is transmission fluid that expands when it gets hot. I don't understand that.

I normally run my car a period of time after the oil change to be sure it is not leaking, and to allow the oil to drain down to the pan before finally checking it again. It shouldn't go down overnight, but then, that is just my opinion.

On the VW statement, you are so right about the oil consumption of the Beetle. However, I do not have the 1.8L turbo engine. I have the 2.0L non-turbo-charged engine, and it has used oil from day one because of the low tension piston rings. It requires my daughter to constantly check the oil. She has occasionally overfilled it, and we did have to replace a catalytic converter because of. Not one of my better choices for a vehicle, but you get burned once, and you learn. Got too much money in ot now to get rid of it, since it runs great.

I think sabre said it best....the dipstick will have to be the final authority on this matter. Anyway, THANKS again for all the responses. I learned something today.
Old 07-01-04, 12:06 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

Originally posted by gserep1
Thanks for all the responses. I will pay close attention to the level during my next oil change. I AM confused how you can add 5.5 one day, and have to add another 1/2 quart the next day. It is not like it is transmission fluid that expands when it gets hot. I don't understand that.

I normally run my car a period of time after the oil change to be sure it is not leaking, and to allow the oil to drain down to the pan before finally checking it again. It shouldn't go down overnight, but then, that is just my opinion.

On the VW statement, you are so right about the oil consumption of the Beetle. However, I do not have the 1.8L turbo engine. I have the 2.0L non-turbo-charged engine, and it has used oil from day one because of the low tension piston rings. It requires my daughter to constantly check the oil. She has occasionally overfilled it, and we did have to replace a catalytic converter because of. Not one of my better choices for a vehicle, but you get burned once, and you learn. Got too much money in ot now to get rid of it, since it runs great.

I think sabre said it best....the dipstick will have to be the final authority on this matter. Anyway, THANKS again for all the responses. I learned something today.
when i take the car to an oil change place they add 5.5qt's but i always have to add 1/2 qt to that.
The service station that i go to charge a flat rate up to 5.5qt's after that you have to pay extra
so i have them fill it to 5.5qt's then i add the 1/2qt
bottle oil charge is $3 so it's not worth it
Old 07-03-04, 06:34 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Re: THANK YOU FOR THE INFO

Originally posted by VSsc400
when i take the car to an oil change place they add 5.5qt's but i always have to add 1/2 qt to that.
The service station that i go to charge a flat rate up to 5.5qt's after that you have to pay extra
so i have them fill it to 5.5qt's then i add the 1/2qt
bottle oil charge is $3 so it's not worth it
those cheap bastards!..lol

CEO
Old 05-06-12, 09:07 PM
kpricecan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VSsc400
be careful because many oil shops only put 5qt's instead of 6qt.

it calls for 6qt's
My Lexus handbook says 5.1 qts (w/oil filter change) which is 4.82L. Where are you getting 6qts from?

Last edited by kpricecan; 05-06-12 at 09:10 PM. Reason: incorrect

Quick Reply: SC400 engine oil capacity--help!!