Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

adjusting SCxxx headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-04, 03:30 AM
bishop977
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting headlights

when i changed recently changed my low beam bulbs to piaa i noticed that the bubble was not level its pointed too low and is not aligned correctly. i tried adjusting it using a socket wrench 10mm to adjust the hight turned it clocked wise for few min bubble didn't move then tried counter clock wise the bubble did not move either. so i thought the bubble leveling thing is broken so i i tried adjusting without using the bubble. and turned the head light on and pointing it against the wall. then i tried turning the **** again clockwise and counter clockwise I didn't notice ne movement in the light. . i found this picture while doing a search.i tried turning both ****. dont mind the green.... does ne one have a picture of with the headlight attached point me to the right direction..... i would take a pic but i don't have a digi cam.

Last edited by bishop977; 04-04-04 at 03:33 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 04:11 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw A is for the vertical adjustment and screw B is for the horizontal adjustment. Make sure you're looking at the correct bubble. There are two, one for the high beam and one for the low beam.

George
Attached Thumbnails adjusting SCxxx headlights-asdfgh.jpg  

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 04-04-04 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 12:19 AM
bishop977
Driver

Originally posted by Carpe Diem
Screw A is for the vertical adjustment and screw B is for the horizontal adjustment. Make sure you're looking at the correct bubble. There are two, one for the high beam and one for the low beam.

George
Thanks George. I finally found the vertical adjustment it was hidden and took me awhile to find it. i need to remove the battery to get to the screw. i fixed the vertical alignment. now after fixing it i noticed my left headlight is pointing too much too the right now. when driving i notice most of the light is shining towards the right side. i tried turning screw b towards the right a few times but it didn't move... ..
p.s is there a better way to get to the adjustment without removing the battery.

Last edited by bishop977; 04-06-04 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-06-04, 05:43 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Ok, here are links to the two pages that describe the adjustments. Maybe these will help.

All of the screws have 8mm hex heads so you may be able to use an open end wrench or socket to turn them without removing the battery. It will help to have small hands!

George

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1
Old 04-09-04, 12:23 AM
bishop977
Driver

hey thanks george. i just aligned it correctly. i got one more problem after aligning the headlights i noticed that my right seems a lot brighter than my left. do u know what could be the problem? bad connection that the metal aren't touching properly or is it my battery? i don't think its the battery cuz both headlight would be dim but its only the left one dim....
Old 04-09-04, 02:48 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Did you have this problem before you swapped the bulbs?

George
Old 04-09-04, 11:11 AM
bishop977
Driver

i didnt' really notice it b4 cuz i was mostly in the city there was alot of street light . now that i'm in buffalo where theres hardly ne street light thats when i noticed it.
Old 04-09-04, 11:21 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Well, you're right it isn't the battery. You really didn't do anything with the electrical components except change the bulbs right?

George
Old 04-09-04, 12:38 PM
bishop977
Driver

nope didn't do ne thing electrical expect for a alarm. i'm giogn to swap blubs later but i donno going to play around with it.
Old 08-21-05, 11:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

This seems lke the most appropriate place to ask ..

For left to right adjustment by "B" in picture above ..

There is white plastic ****/nut on the same shaft as th 8mm head. [same shaft towards the lamp].
If I twirl the plastic ****/nut the white colored marker wheel moves quite rapidly inside the clear-tube (cylender). This moves the adjustment marks very quickly but there is absolutely no tesion (no feeling of actually moving the lamp .. seemsas if I am moving the marker only). On the other hand if I twirl the 8mm bolt-head I do feel the tension but the marker does not move even after number of turns.

The questions are:
What is that white plastic **** for?
Where and how do I set the adjustment for the white **** .. it does change the reference cylender.
Is the actual adjustment done by the 8mm head.
Does the 8mm head have to be spun a lot of turns before seeing actual shift. [If so i will adjust the position by the 8mm head by focusing on the wall and then use the white plastic **** to bring back the scale to normal.. reverse process]

Salim