LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Windshield Fluid Frozen.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-19, 03:11 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Windshield Fluid Frozen.

Not sure if anyone in the Canadian area can comment on this but today I decided to drive my car to work. Today the temperature happened to be 13F I decided to spay the windshield, well first nothing came out, then only the right side came out. I'm guessing the line is frozen anyone else have this issue in the colder climates.
Old 12-19-19, 03:40 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Shouldn't the windshield wiper fluid have some anti freeze properties? It's been a long time since I lived in the Northeast.
Old 12-19-19, 05:54 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Shouldn't the windshield wiper fluid have some anti freeze properties? It's been a long time since I lived in the Northeast.
That's what I thought so I'm not sure why it froze up.
Old 12-19-19, 07:29 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

If you or the dealer used windshield washer fluid that is meant to handle bugs and other dirt on the windshield then that washer fluid will freeze much faster than standard winterized washer fluid. I don't think you can mix different types of windshield washer fluid either, so it might be best to drain whatever is in the reservoir now and fill it up with washer fluid rated for extremely cold weather. Given that you have already had a problem it's probably best to have this addressed quickly so that you don't have a reservoir or tubes that crack or burst because the fluid has frozen.
Old 12-19-19, 10:00 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
If you or the dealer used windshield washer fluid that is meant to handle bugs and other dirt on the windshield then that washer fluid will freeze much faster than standard winterized washer fluid. I don't think you can mix different types of windshield washer fluid either, so it might be best to drain whatever is in the reservoir now and fill it up with washer fluid rated for extremely cold weather. Given that you have already had a problem it's probably best to have this addressed quickly so that you don't have a reservoir or tubes that crack or burst because the fluid has frozen.
Yeah good point, need to find out the easiest way to drain it.
Old 12-19-19, 01:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Yeah good point, need to find out the easiest way to drain it.
Get an appropriate length of fairly small diameter hose and siphon the fluid out - far easier than disconnecting a hose to drain it. I've emptied washer fluid tanks a number of times times this way when working on vehicles and keep a length of hose dedicated to this purpose. The hose has to be long enough for the discharge end to be lower than the bottom of the fluid tank.
Old 12-20-19, 05:15 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Kansas
Get an appropriate length of fairly small diameter hose and siphon the fluid out - far easier than disconnecting a hose to drain it. I've emptied washer fluid tanks a number of times times this way when working on vehicles and keep a length of hose dedicated to this purpose. The hose has to be long enough for the discharge end to be lower than the bottom of the fluid tank.
Thanks gonna have to try this today after work when I get home.
Old 12-21-19, 06:09 PM
scubadvr1
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Or, since you live in Canada, take it back to the dealer and have them deal with it because they should have used the best winterized fluid there is in your neck of the woods. If you've got the time, leave it to them to do it.
Old 12-22-19, 06:41 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 253 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadvr1
Or, since you live in Canada, take it back to the dealer and have them deal with it because they should have used the best winterized fluid there is in your neck of the woods. If you've got the time, leave it to them to do it.
Did the OP say that the dealer was responsible?

Something else may be going on. I stock up each summer with enough washer fluid to hopefully last through the coming Winter since there have been shortages in the past during Winter. Prior to 2018 virtually all washer fluid sold at discount stores where I live had antifreeze properties. When I went a Walmart to stock up in the Summer of 2018 for the coming Winter, none of the washer fluid there had antifreeze properties. It was the same when I checked other discount stores such as Target - no washer fluid with antifreeze properties at all. I ended up going to an auto parts store to get washer fluid with antifreeze properties. I don't know what was going on. Was/is there some sort of antifreeze shortage or is selling only washer fluid without antifreeze in Summer a marketing ploy or an effort to sell a more environment friendly product? Regardless, it has become important to check the labels on washer fluid containers to verify antifreeze properties.
Old 12-23-19, 02:42 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by scubadvr1
Dealership filled it but this was during summer, but never said dealership. I hardly use my washer fluid, I live in Mass and no dealership will fill the washer reservoir with winter fluid.

Did the OP say that the dealer was responsible?

Something else may be going on. I stock up each summer with enough washer fluid to hopefully last through the coming Winter since there have been shortages in the past during Winter. Prior to 2018 virtually all washer fluid sold at discount stores where I live had antifreeze properties. When I went a Walmart to stock up in the Summer of 2018 for the coming Winter, none of the washer fluid there had antifreeze properties. It was the same when I checked other discount stores such as Target - no washer fluid with antifreeze properties at all. I ended up going to an auto parts store to get washer fluid with antifreeze properties. I don't know what was going on. Was/is there some sort of antifreeze shortage or is selling only washer fluid without antifreeze in Summer a marketing ploy or an effort to sell a more environment friendly product? Regardless, it has become important to check the labels on washer fluid containers to verify antifreeze properties.
Yeah never said dealership, drained it out. Refilled with RainX winter I think the plan is just to use that only all year round, even though I really don't drive it in the winter those days I do take it out to go to dealership I need it, thanks for the help.