LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oh. My. Gawd.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 04:26 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Oh. My. Gawd.

Becky... All this time, I'd written another one of these off, because I could not find one equipped correctly.

This one has most of what I want, but bonus executive rear seating. Not the the four-place version, but still.

Rear damage noted on the Carfax...I'll have someone there look for orange peel on the fenders.

I don't think they've folded down the rear armrest, or else, the cooler should be obvious, right?

Ain't care, for those miles and how it's equipped, that's a nice price. Though, there's no way they're getting an additional dealer profit of $499 from me because of "dealer administrative fees". Yeah, guys, that's called COGS.

https://www.gaautoworld.com/2012-Lex...9/Details.aspx
Old 12-01-18, 04:39 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

Nice looking car! Go for it
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (12-02-18)
Old 12-01-18, 05:32 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Becky... All this time, I'd written another one of these off, because I could not find one equipped correctly.
This one has most of what I want, but bonus executive rear seating. Not the the four-place version, but still.
Rear damage noted on the Carfax...I'll have someone there look for orange peel on the fenders.
I don't think they've folded down the rear armrest, or else, the cooler should be obvious, right?
Hi McKellyb,
This car is top of the line fully loaded, and over 100K new. It has LKA, DRCC, and the driver attention monitor (APCS package)! Being a 2012, it even has the automatic backup feature! Plus the UltraLux package in the back, which I prefer over the Executive seating package. It certainly has the cooler behind the rear armrest. Only thing missing is AWD, which you won't miss in TX. It's a unicorn, and seems like a steal for 19,900 for the relatively low miles. Go for it!! But have a PPI done, and look up accident history on Autocheck also.

Last edited by comotiger; 12-01-18 at 05:36 PM.
mckellyb (12-05-18)
Old 12-01-18, 05:49 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Love the color! I would jump on that!
mckellyb (12-05-18)
Old 12-01-18, 05:57 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Gorgeous car at a great price! Not a fan of the lighter colored interiors but I could get over it for on optioned like this one is.
mckellyb (12-05-18)
Old 12-01-18, 07:16 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

High doc/administrative fees are the norm all over the Southeast. Just treat them as part of the price.

How's the Lexus service history look?
mckellyb (12-05-18)
Old 12-01-18, 11:06 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

You're welcome. 😀 i would have stayed quiet until I had a deposit down on it. Someone here may swoop in and get it. If it was a comfort plus Ls460L without airshock like the 2007-2009s then it would be perfect for me. I don't know why lexus skimped on leather door armrests on nearly all 2010-2012s. This is one in a very very few that I have seen with leather stitched armrests

Last edited by JLAWS; 12-01-18 at 11:11 PM.
mckellyb (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 06:27 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

JLAWS, I'll have someone there, tomorrow. And thank you very much for the tip!

I owe you a beer or two.

TriC, yeah, I'll just knock that $500 off what I'm going to offer. 30 years ago, I sold new cars...I know how they work. Honestly, I wish I didn't, because it can be mighty slimy. The service history is solid.

Comotiger, 4WD I was on the fence about, because, within 12 months, I fully expect to be in Colorado. However, we have a third vehicle which is perfect for winters, up there. We've lived at close to 9K feet in the past, many winter days, I'd be able to drive the LS. Let me put it this way, I'd not plan on getting snow wheels/tires for it for as often as I'd have to commute in the snow.

Speaking of service histories...I see in this one, at 11K miles, the tires are almost done. Had it been me, I'd have been livid the OEM tires didn't last 15K miles. Though, to be fair, the Continental DWS 06s I had on mine were half gone by about 15K.

Also, "warped brake rotors"...I've verified, on Silvia, it's not that rotors warp (on street cars, under anything but full-out race conditions), but rather, they wind up with deposits left on them from hot brake pads, resulting in high spots. This can be corrected, without removing a wheel, by re-bedding the pads. I'm talking, so hot, they're going to smell.

If you get them hot enough to re-melt the material on the rotors, it gets skimmed off, and you're good.

To help prevent this, after getting the brakes hot, like exiting from a 75 MPH freeway and coming to a stop at the end of a ramp, come to a crawl, but don't stop, about 12-15 feet before the stop line or traffic, then slowly creep forward, but don't stop completely, until either the light changes or you can't move forward any farther. This keeps pad material from being deposited in a lump on the rotors.
Old 12-02-18, 10:21 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

That's a nice looking car and great price.
mckellyb (12-05-18)
Old 12-02-18, 11:14 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

The price, in fact, makes me a bit uneasy...because it's lower than average miles (7 model years old), and it has a few high dollar/low production options. The damage noted on its Carfax is backed up by LOC, which is good, because there's much more detail. Rear bumper cover & paint for said cover, no metal work required.

I was kind of disappointed to learn the 19" five spoke wheels doesn't indicate a likelihood of it having the sport suspension tuning, but that's a mere swap of a computer away. $100, if you're patient. The sport tuning is available, but different wheels, and I do not like those anywhere near as much as the beefy 5-spoke ones.

Wish I could have unfettered access to my old car for an hour. I even have a standard computer I could swap into the sport one's place. That, and I want to try aircraft paint remover on the wheel which is now in pieces, to see just how difficult it's going to be to polish them.

Brakes...while I'd like to have the larger rotors of the sport, I'll put EBC rotors and pads on it, which will get it to 95% of where my old one was with those same rotors/pads.

I'm REALLY glad I didn't immediately put the two brand new, OEM air struts back on ebay, because I'll keep those for later.
Old 12-02-18, 01:56 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Geez, that price is insane. Get it thoroughly inspected... if it checks out, jump on it.
mckellyb (12-05-18)
Old 12-02-18, 02:30 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Already jumped.

Turns out, I know a guy who is a fellow gearhead and lives literally two miles from this place. We spent a solid 30 minutes on the phone going over everything I could think of. I truly do not think they folded down the rear seat's armrest, or else it'd have another $3K on the price.

They managed to come up with an additional $1,200 worth of BS dealer profit fee garbage, but that's only 6% of asking, so it's still a deal. Tires are brand new Michelins, and bonus 3M nose cover on it. Also, no tint, which I is good because I'm having Crystalline put on it.

Regardless, I'm overnighting a check to them, tonight, already have transpo set up to ship it to Fort Worth.

Still feel kinda queasy, to be honest. It's not every day you drop $21K on something a pedestrian as a car.

Heh, heh...I'm proud of that one.
SW17LS (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 02:43 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Geez, that price is insane. Get it thoroughly inspected... if it checks out, jump on it.
I might need to get there early in the morning and get it before you do. Hmmmm.......
Old 12-02-18, 03:08 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

If you try, I'll come find you...

Last edited by mckellyb; 12-02-18 at 03:23 PM.
fwhomeboy (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 06:28 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Man, Kelly, how very exciting. This is set up exactly as mine but you get the LKA and some added features from 10 to 12. I really like this color and am very excited for you.

Lots of good pics and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new ride.

This is is very happy ending.
mckellyb (12-05-18)

Quick Reply: Oh. My. Gawd.