LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Melting Interior Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 04:51 PM
MLRjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious: are you guys original owners or does that even matter?. I have a new to me 09 that has sticky doors and it's only feb. I live in Alabama so my door panels should be bubble gum come summer!

Last edited by MLRjr; 02-17-19 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Add punctuation
Old 02-17-19, 06:02 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I am the 3rd owner of mine. Started as a lease sold as a CPO. Owner 2 serviced a lot at dealership. I have had it 3 years now taken it a few times to Lexus here. So mine has a ton of service history. I think it helps some but really depends on the people who work your dealership.
The following users liked this post:
MLRjr (02-17-19)
Old 02-18-19, 10:58 AM
MLRjr
Driver School Candidate

Default Got a quick response

Old 02-18-19, 05:27 PM
MLRjr
Driver School Candidate

I also stopped by the dealer today. They were very cool......yep you're covered. No worries. We just order all pieces now. Dash and doors will come in in a few weeks. The console and bottom part of the dash is months out. As of now my doors are the only problem. I have a few nickel-sized chunks in the back door panels. The fronts are just sticky around the handles. The service rep said that he could tell that it was all discolored. That was the beginning. He said it would get worse so they have learned to just go ahead and order it all. Great news as I just bought my car last Wednesday.
Old 02-18-19, 06:39 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Wish my guy was that easy.
Old 02-25-19, 05:44 PM
FastHackem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston Area Success?

I just found this thread today and immediately contacted corporate to see if I can gain coverage. I've been an owner since July 2018 and have been so disappointed in the interior material quality. I have seen earlier threads about hit-or-miss coverage, but this thread made my day. Has anyone had this service performed in the Houston area? My closest stealership is Westside Lexus.
Old 02-28-19, 03:55 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

i was going to start a new thread for this but figured i would use existing one
for all those in climates that are not warm i realize its like getting a new interior and not really an issue going on

this issues is huge i have 3m crystalline on my car and traveling for work to florida
i left my car sit out with a great tint on all windows excluding windshield and literally my arm rests are melting

its absolutely ridiculous what lexus has done with releasing interior parts like this

mine are on order and dealer says it can be a year or two to finally get it all done
its crazy
Old 02-28-19, 06:16 PM
FastHackem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
i was going to start a new thread for this but figured i would use existing one
for all those in climates that are not warm i realize its like getting a new interior and not really an issue going on

this issues is huge i have 3m crystalline on my car and traveling for work to florida
i left my car sit out with a great tint on all windows excluding windshield and literally my arm rests are melting

its absolutely ridiculous what lexus has done with releasing interior parts like this

mine are on order and dealer says it can be a year or two to finally get it all done
its crazy
I agree that it's pretty bad that the materials they chose to use were terrible for long term durability. Are they the only luxury company to make mistakes like this? No. What matters is that they are taking complete responsibility by replacing practically the whole interior. Not only that, but in cars that are 12 years old! I can't recall ANY other company coming close to that level of service. If I could only convince BMW to warranty the rod bearings in my E60 M5......I can only dream.

On another note, I got an email back from Lexus confirming my 2008 is covered. Seems like the same generic email others have received. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CSP ZLZ.pdf (339.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-28-19, 06:31 PM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the same email as well. Going out to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and seeing what they will do about the interior pieces. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 03-01-19, 05:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

My 2010 (almost a 2011 based on production stamp) got approved but my dealer wants to wait until all parts come in before they do the work. He said the dash (I assume he means lower dash) is in but still waiting on glove box and center console. My glove box and center console are in the worst shape so hoping those come in soon.
Old 03-01-19, 06:47 AM
prichmon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 with 161K. It was sold in Florida and lived there for 4-5 years. I am the 4th owner. Our LS has cracked door panel arm rest and pitted top trim. There seems to be significant odor in the car.
I joined the lexus driver section. I looked under safety recalls or special service which says I have no campaigns open for my car.

Did your guys say the same thing?

I contacted Lexus today to see if it was covered. I will update when I hear.
Old 03-01-19, 09:37 AM
FastHackem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by prichmon
I have an 07 with 161K. It was sold in Florida and lived there for 4-5 years. I am the 4th owner. Our LS has cracked door panel arm rest and pitted top trim. There seems to be significant odor in the car.
I joined the lexus driver section. I looked under safety recalls or special service which says I have no campaigns open for my car.

Yes, when I logged into the system, I saw the same thing for my LS. You should be fine. It took 2.5 days for Lexus corporate to respond to my email despite the 48 hour indicator they give.
Old 03-01-19, 09:39 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 338 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by prichmon

You need to contact your local Lexus dealer and reference the "ZLZ warranty program for sticky interior panels". They will know what it refers to. Your car will be covered regardless of age, mileage, # of owners, etc. You can email Lexus through the Lexus drivers site and provide them with your VIN, but I think you could also go straight to the dealer. I don't think there is a question for 2007-2009 being covered, but 2010 and beyond is more hit & miss and requires inspection, photos, approval, etc.
Old 03-01-19, 03:30 PM
FastHackem
Driver School Candidate

Default Warning

I just got back from Westside Lexus and a warning to anyone wanting to go get this done. I was informed this is a one time chance, meaning that if the tech inspecting your car doesn't see anything wrong with one of the covered panels, and then let's say a couple months go by and that panel gets to be nasty, they will not cover it. They will only cover whatever they find the first time you bring it in. So, in my case they said they would only cover the front door panels even though I tried to explain to them how the rear panels and the dash get sticky in the summer. They told me that they recommend I bring it back mid summer when it's super hot here in Houston and told me the tech didn't send the report or pictures to Lexus corporate so I still have a chance at coverage. That seems kinda dumb. I wonder if they were wrong. I might contact corporate again for clarification.
Old 03-01-19, 03:52 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Thats what my rep said too. He said come back in summer. But he no longer seems to work for them. Hmmm.

Quick Reply: Melting Interior Alternatives