LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Detailed Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 05:52 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

For $4800, you can expect to pay around $5000 to get it up to speed.
Old 07-22-18, 08:11 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by sktn77a
For $4800, you can expect to pay around $5000 to get it up to speed.
That was around the original budget I had. Everything came out to about $2400 in parts and $300 for his time and resources. He wrote up a hypothetical bill from his shops register, came out to about $8500.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
One thing we've learned here through the years is that a less than 100% battery can cause all kinds of electrical problems. Just be aware of this.
Center console entertainment system has not gone out and car has not shorted out since those first few days. Car has started up no problem since. He said it definitely doesn't need a new alternator or battery and that those issues are probably from the car sitting for a year.

Last edited by Legus; 07-25-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 08:02 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

A few days before my control arms came in I hit a bad pot hole, front would start to really rumble when driven over 20mph, you could see the front end sway back and forth from inside the car. Front control arms came in the mail from buyautoparts.com, as suggested by a couple other users here, they were significantly cheaper and apparently same quality. My mechanic said they're 100%, installed them. The car drives like a dream, perfect.
As the days go by now that the front end is stable I can start to hear more issues. I now also need new engine or transmission mounts, and tie rods.
A click clack sound grows louder and louder until one day I slide out in the rain (still adjusting to this car) and it is suddenly even louder, kind of scary. I pull over get out check my wheels, ALL LUG NUTS ARE LOOSE, I call my mechanic freaking out hows it possible they were just on tight the day before?!. He comes down to take a look himself. These are the wrong size lug nuts way too small, he thought he noticed that before but thought nothing of it since the car was sold to me like that. Got those and beat on the car for a bit to see if they would come loose, but they are fine now.

Last edited by Legus; 08-18-18 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-16-18, 09:48 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i havent seen any sub 5k 460s yet here in FL. awesome!
Old 09-22-18, 04:05 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

So I had pretty much everything on the car fixed. I've gotten new engine mounts, tie rods, ball joints, sway bars, front 8 control arms, and the car feels as stable as I could ever imagine. I replaced the brake actuator and now I have no lights on my dash, brakes function perfectly. I put the stock exhaust back on and I have not gotten the lean code since (I miss the straight pipe). All electronics had gone right back to normal when I got the new battery. All said and done it probably came out around $4k like some of the guys on here originally said, which was still a fairly steep discount.
It is now almost complete. I am very lucky to have a buddy with a detail shop, he loves this thing so -under the terms that he can bring his friend to get some professional videos/pictures and do a top speed run down a straightaway on the highway (with the straight pipe back on, but I may go for an X or H pipe this time)- he is going to detail the exterior top to bottom free.
Only then I will roll up with some pictures here, see you guys soon.

Let it be known this is possible for anyone! Don't let your dreams be dreams! You do not have to be rich to own this car, you just have to be smart and/or have connections. It was not a difficult process and there weren't any real obstacles.
ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO PM ME AS I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO POST EVERY LITTLE STEP LIKE I INTENDED. I just moved so i haven't had much free time to write here, sorry.

Last edited by Legus; 09-22-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 04:56 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I hope you have some before and after pictures to post so we can all be happy with you.
Old 11-11-18, 01:28 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

ABS and associated lights came back on after a week or so. New front struts, sway bars, links. New rotors and pads. No leaks. Brakes still work 100% now. ABS and traction and stability work perfectly, I can tell. Going to the 12 Volt Doctor soon to see what’s up with it, I’m hoping it’s something simple, this is a new brake actuator but the code is different now, I honestly don’t remember the code, I believe it’s something like one of the two terminals on the actuator arent getting power...